Ally Dawson

Canabear

I’m pretty sure he presented my BB with awards back in the day and bizarrely my grandparents used to invite him in for tea while he was playing with Rangers - he happily obliged.

Thoughts are with his friends and family.

What were some people’s best memories of him as a player?

3 hours ago, Essandoh said:

What were some people’s best memories of him as a player?

Jeez, it seems that long ago now but I remember him as a player who didn't stand out as much as some of the rest but you always knew he was there, he just went about his business and didn't half get up and down the pitch. We played out through him a lot back then and he linked up well with Robert Prytz. I thought he was a stand out against Inter the night we nearly put them out at Ibrox, took their CF clean out with an elbow, I remember wishing it was Liam Brady instead. 

19 hours ago, rab wilson said:

Was captain when I was a boy, brave as a lion, unfortunate that he played in a difficult period for the club, a good friend of my uncle harry, I met him a couple of times 3when I was a wean. Really easy to talk to gentleman with the  highest respect for our support, spoke about loving seeing thousands of bears at pittodrie more than anywhere, seemed to me he never ever believed he was worthy of adulation, and said it was easier to deal with the severe pelters coming from the enclosure, than he did with adulation for living our dreams.

I realise a lot of the boys on here are a lot younger than me, but ask your old man or old fear about the night at ibrox 83-84 against Inter , at Ibrox, 3-0 down from the first leg, when he and Iain Ferguson( my hero) waged war on them, full of stars and nearly did it.32000 sounded like 132000 as the 2 of them gave the sort of fighting performance that reminded my dad of bobby Shearer's fearless, never give in performances.my favourite ever game and best atmosphere by a mile.im really saddened by this news.keep fighting Mr Dawson Sir.

No Surrender

Rab

Outstanding!!!