Copa America - 2021

8 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

I just looked up the 2010 squad and there are about 5 players I’ve never heard of.

Argentina?

He went through a crazy amount of players, I'm sure it was in the mid 40s.

I remember he called up some guy who was a midfielder who I'm sure was about 34 for their first cap at one point. I can't remember his name.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

I liked to watch Gago play but agree wasn't that great despite showing a lot of promise early on.

Where do you get the time to watch so much football across so many leagues? I watch us and a few other games and that's it.

3 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Argentina?

He went through a crazy amount of players, I'm sure it was in the mid 40s.

I remember he called up some guy who was a midfielder who I'm sure was about 34 for their first cap at one point. I can't remember his name.

Yeah.

I remember they had a wee left back called Papa or something that played against Scotland in a friendly.

4 minutes ago, KaiserJon said:

Where do you get the time to watch so much football across so many leagues? I watch us and a few other games and that's it.

I'm an obsessive mate. Subscribe to every sports channel, almost always a football game on in our house at night.

Always have been like that since a wee boy, got it from my old man. When I was a wee kid I had near-on memorised every registered player in the 95/96 Champions League season :lol:

Having said that, I didn't get to see many Rangers games as a kid. Wasn't until I was in my late teens I was able to really watch us every week via the internet. 

22 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

Yeah.

I remember they had a wee left back called Papa or something that played against Scotland in a friendly.

I can't remember him at all. Although tbh I didn't watch many of their games when he was in charge bar the actual World Cup.

I liked watching them under Pekerman, played some great football. 

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

I can remember him at all. Although tbh I didn't watch many of their games when he was in charge bar the actual World Cup.

I liked watching them under Pekerman, played some great football. 

Iirc he lost 6-1 in a qualifier and only just scraped qualification to that tournament.

He was good entertainment with his press conference but tactically he was beyond clueless.

6 minutes ago, G.E.C. said:

Iirc he lost 6-1 in a qualifier and only just scraped qualification to that tournament.

He was good entertainment with his press conference but tactically he was beyond clueless.

Was that not the one in Bolivia with the ridiculous altitude?

This thread has felt like I’ve been listening to Tim Vickery on the World Football Phone In from about 10-12 years ago over the past few pages. :lol:

I used to listen to that every single week back in the days when I was proper obsessed with football, and I don’t think I’ve heard some of the names that have been brought up tonight since those days either. 

1 minute ago, DBBTB said:

@McEwan's Lager any idea why Marcelo Gallardo has never come across to Europe to manage?

Not sure. Maybe he doesn't have his Euro badges like big Ange? :lol: 

I don't follow club football over there that closely but I'm sure when he took over River they had not long had that season where they should have been relegated and he's taken them to the Libertadores? 

8 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

This thread has felt like I’ve been listening to Tim Vickery on the World Football Phone In from about 10-12 years ago over the past few pages. :lol:

I used to listen to that every single week back in the days when I was proper obsessed with football, and I don’t think I’ve heard some of the names that have been brought up tonight since those days either. 

I used to read his BBC column all the time but I've fallen away from it. Does he still do it?

Same with Sid Lowe's column in the Guardian, that was a must read for me too but I can't remember the last time I read it. I should start doing that again.

1 minute ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Not sure. Maybe he doesn't have his Euro badges like big Ange? :lol: 

I don't follow club football over there that closely but I'm sure when he took over River they had not long had that season where they should have been relegated and he's taken them to the Libertadores? 

I think he’s won it with them a couple of times now.

Seems like a manager that a club in Spain or France would look to appoint, especially because he’s done well in terms of winning trophies, but for whatever reason it hasn’t happened yet. I’m assuming it must be for personal reasons.

I remember somebody on here (who’s now banned) pushing hard saying that’s who we should have gone for when we sacked either Warburton or Caixinha, because of course a South American manager who’s never managed outside of South America before wouldn’t have also been a massive risk :lol:

Just now, DBBTB said:

I think he’s won it with them a couple of times now.

Seems like a manager that a club in Spain or France would look to appoint, especially because he’s done well in terms of winning trophies, but for whatever reason it hasn’t happened yet. I’m assuming it must be for personal reasons.

I remember somebody on here (who’s now banned) pushing hard saying that’s who we should have gone for when we sacked either Warburton or Caixinha, because of course a South American manager who’s never managed outside of South America before wouldn’t have also been a massive risk :lol:

TMB?

23 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Yeah I used to listened to Vickery on that all the time, good times. Remember him talking about some young lad called Neymar. Wonder what happened to him :pipe: 

6 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Don’t see me surviving the 90 :lol: 

Neither :lol:

One thing I will say for it and the previous game is that the refereeing is a bit like Scottish football - they let a lot go that would normally be fouls in Europe and some of the tackles that would normally be yellow cards are just fouls. It's good to see.