Friendly v Thistle

Keevins article starts off with this :lol: no wonder we don't want the likes of him around 

'I think Steven Gerrard’s comment about Rangers defending their league title “with our lives” was as much over the top as it was unnecessary.

I appreciate his comment was for Rangers’ official souvenir magazine and was, therefore, to my way of thinking, melodrama for the masses.

It also beats “we’re taking one game at a time” hands down.

But Steven and his players are defending a football trophy – not protecting their homes and loved ones from intruders.'

I have no problem with the club banning reporters. They mostly just lift their 'stories' from RTV and then apply their spin.

H&H and 4lads give me accurate information and all I need to know. I just stick to fan media and ignore newspapers.

44 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Rangers only want staff and players speaking to RTV. They are trying to charge media (including fan media) for access to pressers and matches at all levels, including womens.

How much are they looking to charge for access to mainstream and how much to fan media?

1 minute ago, GersInCanada said:

I have no problem with the club banning reporters. They mostly just lift their 'stories' from RTV and then apply their spin.

H&H and 4lads give me accurate information and all I need to know. I just stick to fan media and ignore newspapers.

That's not what's happening. The club are looking to charge everyone for access to pressers etc (including H&H & 4lads).

6 minutes ago, The Dude said:

No idea on figures tbh.

That's ridiculous. Also they should back date a charge to a certain website owner for not actually being a journalist whilst being able to attend all games.

What do you think is the reasoning for implementing a charge aside from income. Is it to discourage smaller outlets? 

13 minutes ago, GersInCanada said:

I agree. The MSM up here have had a free hit on us for far too long, truth is no longer a requirement for most journos.  The club should go further and charge for access on a sliding scale depending on how much BS each media outlet spews out about us.   

7 minutes ago, The Dude said:

No idea on figures tbh.

Is this something unusual to be charged for?

MyGers isn’t for everyone but it is something that other sports/football teams do just wondering is this is something similar.

2 minutes ago, KaiserJon said:

That's ridiculous. Also they should back date a charge to a certain website owner for not actually being a journalist whilst being able to attend all games.

What do you think is the reasoning for implementing a charge aside from income. Is it to discourage smaller outlets? 

They know most outlets simply won't pay it as a matter of principle but think it will drive Rangers TV subs and let the club monetise the content even further than they do already while letting them have control of the narrative.

Problem is, I know some outlets have discussed an outright blanket ban on all things Rangers (including sky) beyond what is contractually obliged.

3 minutes ago, ayro said:

Is this something unusual to be charged for?

MyGers isn’t for everyone but it is something that other sports/football teams do just wondering is this is something similar.

I'm not aware of another club who charges for access in this way. It may also be a direct breach of SPFL rules and lead to the club being fined as there is an obligation to provide access to media. Club have already been spoken to about refusing to put a player up after some games last season.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I'm not aware of another club who charges for access in this way. It may also be a direct breach of SPFL rules and lead to the club being fined as there is an obligation to provide access to media. Club have already been spoken to about refusing to put a player up after some games last season.

Yeah can definitely see a breach of media availability if we are going solo on this.

Interesting point on previous post that it could be driving people towards RTV subs. but if charging fan media then sounds more like a cash grab.

To be honest most of the MSM in Scotland are a fucking embarrassment, both in their anti-Rangers rhetoric and the actual quality of their content. 

I’m more than happy to rely on Rangers social, RTV and fan led media / forums for my Rangers info. 

Not sure about charging for access, but no doubt fan led media has monetised ‘the blue pound’ so in principle I don’t have an issue. I expect eventually we’ll move away from Sky and have a subscription service of our own, or an SPFL one. 

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

To be honest most of the MSM in Scotland are a fucking embarrassment, both in their anti-Rangers rhetoric and the actual quality of their content. 

I’m more than happy to rely on Rangers social, RTV and fan led media / forums for my Rangers info. 

Not sure about charging for access, but no doubt fan led media has monetised ‘the blue pound’ so in principle I don’t have an issue. I expect eventually we’ll move away from Sky and have a subscription service of our own, or an SPFL one. 

I think most will be to an extent - but do you expect Rangers TV to be asking questions about why there's been nothing on Kamara or Goldson's contract or about Morelos' future? Our internal media almost went into meltdown after we lost to St, Mirren in the cup, can you see Nick Thomson asking tough questions of Gerrard if we lose in an Old Firm?

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

I think most will be to an extent - but do you expect Rangers TV to be asking questions about why there's been nothing on Kamara or Goldson's contract or about Morelos' future? Our internal media almost went into meltdown after we lost to St, Mirren in the cup, can you see Nick Thomson asking tough questions of Gerrard if we lose in an Old Firm?

Not really, but I rarely find the MSM ask anything of any substance. Usually find myself rolling my eyes at their shite questions. 

Our comms / football strategy is clearly to only release the info we want out when we want it out. From a business perspective it makes sense. 

Edit: I’d add that when we lose a game, the last thing I actually want to hear is a managers / players excuses and cliches rolled out. Don’t think the MSM add anything to it of any value. 

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Not really, but I rarely find the MSM ask anything of any substance. Usually find myself rolling my eyes at their shite questions. 

Our comms / football strategy is clearly to only release the info we want out when we want it out. From a business perspective it makes sense. 

From a business perspective, you've also just massively reduced how many eyeballs you're putting your brand in front of - as well as alienating a chunk of your existing customer base who rely on external media outlets. (There's a reason the various Rangers sites online do hundreds of millions of hits combined every single month).

Putting out only what you want is great in theory but leads to a lack of real scrutiny. It also leads to a potential for bad news simply being buried never to see the light of day.

9 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Edit: I’d add that when we lose a game, the last thing I actually want to hear is a managers / players excuses and cliches rolled out. Don’t think the MSM add anything to it of any value. 

They can/do when done well. Probably one of the best ones I've had was Gary Holt last season telling us (in far more words) that he wasn't sure if the players had 'had enough of hearing my voice and seeing my face' in the middle of a losing run, then chucking it a week or so later. While it might seem like nothing, it was very up-front for the usual post-match fare and a real shift from Gary's usual upbeat, 'we go again' message.

That would have never come out on club channels and, while it might be a wee thing, as a fan I'd like to know if the manager was saying those kind of things after a defeat and as a journo, there's plenty of value in that content (both news content and opinion pieces on potential replacements, where its gone wrong, should he stay etc).

1 minute ago, GersInCanada said:

So much of the click bait from MSM is pure poison. Until such time as they put their house in order and report facts (opinion pieces are fine as long as they are declared as such) then make them pay. A win/win situation for the club. Either generates a bit more revenue or keeps them away. Print media is dying anyway.

Correct. The amount of shite the media write is embarrassing. They should be charged for it. There’s money in muck was never so true with the cunts.