Life after Gerrard

esquire8

Oh God I hope not. No offence to Beale, I'm sure he's very good at what he does, but we'll need a ready made replacement to give us the best chance of continuing the progress. That means either experience in the game or similar to Gerrard in terms of attraction and contacts with little experience. I'd rather we go for experience next.  

4 hours ago, The Specky Liar said:

Aye but there are different levels of gamble though. Someone who has never been a number 1 is a massive risk.

But so are the so called big names Mourinho has been sacked more than once - Ancelotti did sod all at Everton

They are never a guarantee

6 hours ago, DBBTB said:

I think this will be his last season with us too. If he takes us to the champions league this season and wins the league again then he’ll have done all he can with us (short of winning a treble and even then I don’t know if he would stick around to try and achieve that).

As far as a replacement goes, I don’t really like the idea of it being Beale. He might have aspirations to be a manger in his own right, but there’s so many horror appointments where clubs do internal appointments to keep continuity and the players can’t adapt to the assistant now being the main man (and yes, I know we did it with Smith but that was almost 30 years ago).

I suppose all we can do when Gerrard goes is trust that Wilson has already been doing his homework.

I can't see Gerrard leaving for at least 2 seasons. Win the league again this year and he'll have automatic crack at champions league next season. 

In all likelihood if Gerrard does go he'll want to head to England.

Gerrard but is hugley ambitious and he will want a side that can go for silverware and play in Europe.

Only a couple of clubs in England can really offer that all the time. He won't go to the Manchesters or Chelsea. That only leaves Liverpool who he would take in a heartbeat as it's his dream job. But unless klopp is sacked or stepping down it won't happen anytime soon. 

If he does leave but I fully expect that Wilson will have a shortlist of candidates ready to go. 

2 hours ago, King Jela said:

Oh God I hope not. No offence to Beale, I'm sure he's very good at what he does, but we'll need a ready made replacement to give us the best chance of continuing the progress. That means either experience in the game or similar to Gerrard in terms of attraction and contacts with little experience. I'd rather we go for experience next.  

Gerrard had no experience when he came in. If anything Michael Beale is a more experienced coach than Gerrard. He’s also been here through the implementation of the current set up and playing system. He knows it inside out. It’s basically his system. But we should forget about all that and get generic “manager with experience” in, who likely want to implement his own style on the team? Beale is as ready made a replacement as you could ask for IMO. 

52 minutes ago, SPWF said:

Gerrard had no experience when he came in. If anything Michael Beale is a more experienced coach than Gerrard. He’s also been here through the implementation of the current set up and playing system. He knows it inside out. It’s basically his system. But we should forget about all that and get generic “manager with experience” in, who likely want to implement his own style on the team? Beale is as ready made a replacement as you could ask for IMO. 

Beale might be a more experienced coach than Gerrard ever was but he doesn't have the contacts or the pull to attract, say, a Goldson, Barisic, Helander, Arfield, McGregor, Kent, Hagi etc. Its all well and good knowing the system inside out but if players come here to play under Gerrard and leave when, or shortly after, he leaves then is Beale's coaching and man management ability so good that he could turn youngsters and journeyman into a force to be reckon with post-Gerrard? 

And I know there's a good chance we'll have CL football regularly which will help attract names but its not enough to convince me he's the man to charge on with the team when CL football could also attract a better name manager. 

Mixed feelings about this. I do not think that SG will be leaving before his current contract ends as I consider him to be a man of principle. He has also said that he still has a lot to learn. He will get that chance at Ibrox as we are almost certainly going to be facing European opposition every year. 

When SG does go, I would be dubious about Beale taking over. Yes Smith taking over from Souness worked out but McCoist taking over from Smith was a disaster. 

Let's not be concerned about what might happen until it happens. Let's just enjoy being back, at last, to our rightful place in Scottish football and worry about a new manager when we have to.

Said it before but if Liverpool come calling then it means us with Gerrard are being successful. Another good season and Champions League qualification and clubs from Elite leagues won’t be far away. 
As much as I want him here for a long time he deserves his dream move to Liverpool if it happens. He’s a class act and a credit to himself and our club. 

I think if he had been offered the Everton job he would be gone. If he is successful this season (in the CL)he will definitely be gone. Like every other club we have to face this. Calum Davison would be the obvious choice at the minute or maybe a punt on Frank Lampard. 

20 minutes ago, The Blues said:

I think if he had been offered the Everton job he would be gone. If he is successful this season (in the CL)he will definitely be gone. Like every other club we have to face this. Calum Davison would be the obvious choice at the minute or maybe a punt on Frank Lampard. 

😂

30 minutes ago, The Blues said:

Are you Marvin fae the scheme?

31 minutes ago, The Blues said:

Bit early to be on the booze but fair play 

30 minutes ago, The Blues said:

E342CAE1-9F42-43C7-BC03-466CDA36F01C.gif

10 hours ago, Corky True Legend said:

Mixed feelings about this. I do not think that SG will be leaving before his current contract ends as I consider him to be a man of principle. He has also said that he still has a lot to learn. He will get that chance at Ibrox as we are almost certainly going to be facing European opposition every year. 

When SG does go, I would be dubious about Beale taking over. Yes Smith taking over from Souness worked out but McCoist taking over from Smith was a disaster. 

Let's not be concerned about what might happen until it happens. Let's just enjoy being back, at last, to our rightful place in Scottish football and worry about a new manager when we have to.

Can hardly say Beale taking over would be the same as when McCoist took over 

10 hours ago, King Jela said:

Beale might be a more experienced coach than Gerrard ever was but he doesn't have the contacts or the pull to attract, say, a Goldson, Barisic, Helander, Arfield, McGregor, Kent, Hagi etc. Its all well and good knowing the system inside out but if players come here to play under Gerrard and leave when, or shortly after, he leaves then is Beale's coaching and man management ability so good that he could turn youngsters and journeyman into a force to be reckon with post-Gerrard? 

And I know there's a good chance we'll have CL football regularly which will help attract names but its not enough to convince me he's the man to charge on with the team when CL football could also attract a better name manager. 

Reminds me of the Souness era. Souness was the big name that got players interested in signing for us but Walter was the workhorse behind the scenes. I suspect Gerrard/Beale is similar although I think Gerrard is more involved in the overall football structure improvements than Souness was. Souness also came in when we needed to revamp the whole football structure. Walter stepped up when Souness left at short notice and was a great success, Beale would be a gamble but is could work the same way.