Life after Gerrard

esquire8

Just hope to god we don't end up with an Ange, Pedro or Murty-esque character again.

We need winners mentalities: passionate disciplined professionals like we have right now. What a difference to the team; in Europe and domestically over time. It took two seasons but that was needed after the decade of banter years we had :lol:...

1 hour ago, Brubear said:

Reminds me of the Souness era. Souness was the big name that got players interested in signing for us but Walter was the workhorse behind the scenes. I suspect Gerrard/Beale is similar although I think Gerrard is more involved in the overall football structure improvements than Souness was. Souness also came in when we needed to revamp the whole football structure. Walter stepped up when Souness left at short notice and was a great success, Beale would be a gamble but is could work the same way. 

Archie Knox was brought in by Walter around this time iirc and played a huge part. 

2 hours ago, The Blues said:

I think if he had been offered the Everton job he would be gone. If he is successful this season (in the CL)he will definitely be gone. Like every other club we have to face this. Calum Davison would be the obvious choice at the minute or maybe a punt on Frank Lampard. 

Junkie bastard

3 hours ago, TheFamousPigeon said:

Just hope to god we don't end up with an Ange, Pedro or Murty-esque character again.

We need winners mentalities: passionate disciplined professionals like we have right now. What a difference to the team; in Europe and domestically over time. It took two seasons but that was needed after the decade of banter years we had :lol:...

Plenty of fans weren't happy at King's decision to take a punt on SG at the time. Turned out it was the best decision in years. Sure, if the likes of Liverpool come sniffing around at some point it'll be a huge attraction for SG no doubt. I just hope the next manager picks up the mantle quickly and progresses the club even further. 

Some good logic for going with Beale when the time comes, but there would be a huge change in how keen some footballers would be to sign for us. Everyone knows and respects Gerard and he alone is the major reason some of our signings are even here. With Beale, as good as he is, not many people would have a clue who he is.

On 22/07/2021 at 21:58, SPWF said:

Gerrard had no experience when he came in. If anything Michael Beale is a more experienced coach than Gerrard. He’s also been here through the implementation of the current set up and playing system. He knows it inside out. It’s basically his system. But we should forget about all that and get generic “manager with experience” in, who likely want to implement his own style on the team? Beale is as ready made a replacement as you could ask for IMO. 

If anything, the market we are in I don't feel we now need this so called pull of Gerrard. The system we play is all about the correct players to fit into the system.

I'm sure guys like Morelos, Kamara, Wright, barasic hell even tavernier would all have signed for us regardless of manager. I think other than promoting the club worldwide how many players genuinely have said they only signed for us due to Gerrard???

However if we establish ourselves as a champs League club that would away players more than Gerrard could whether he's manager or not

It’ll be a sad day to see him go. 

His presence alone motivates players and he’s improved us no end. He’s restored our pride and more.

However go he will and to his beloved Liverpool and would wish him greatness there also, but it would be far from the end of our success.

We appear to have the right structure in place now, so would be all about getting in the right manager and continuing our winning ways. We remain a great club and we can attract the right people. Be sad to see him go, but not overly concerned. 

When it happens it needs to be seamless, next gaffer takes hold of the ropes and begins the new cycle of stepping it up, taking us forward and choking the competition wherever we meet them. 

4 hours ago, DBBTB said:

A part of me wonders if Defoe might be earmarked as a potential future manager for us.

We’ve given him his first steps into coaching, but you would think he would have aspirations to manage in his own right in the future too.

Actually was thinking this other day I wouldn’t be against this idea . 

One of the things I admire most about the Gerrard era is the fact that he brought in the best people around him to raise standards, at top EPL level.

You only need to look across the city to see the impact of nepotism and plain ineptitude. 

When Stevie leaves (after trophies and CL) we need to keep these standards. We are miles ahead and I think this season will prove that. Ross Wilson should be working on targets in every area for long term planning and we shouldnt fall into that trap of 'a Rangers man' if not good enough, even if they are a legend/well-liked.