*****The Official Malmo FF v Rangers thread*****

MisterC

Going to be very difficult as I felt we were still a bit rusty on Saturday while Malmo are halfway through their season . 

Certainly winnable , but I'd pin our hopes more on next week , once we've had a couple more games under our belts . 

One of the sites affiliated with flashscore predicted eleven.

Rangers predicted XI (4-3-3): Allan McGregor; James Tavernier, Connor Goldson, Filip Helander, Borna Barisic; Steven Davis, John Lundstram, Ianis Hagi; Ryan Kent, Cedric Itten, Fashion Sakala..

Saying that the same article had Morelos in quarantine whilst I saw it posted yesterday he was on the plane according to H & H so fuck knows 😃

They’ll be a good side technically, lots of good players middle to front. 

Seem to play a very high back line, so I’d expect Sakala and Kent to start out wide. Looks like they are very comfortable in possession, but vulnerable to counter attacks when they lose the ball up the park. 

Will be interesting to see if we sit in a little bit or if we try and dominate possession

1 minute ago, KaiserJon said:

Rangers predicted XI (4-3-3): Allan McGregor; James Tavernier, Connor Goldson, Filip Helander, Borna Barisic; Steven Davis, John Lundstram, Ianis Hagi; Ryan Kent, Cedric Itten, Fashion Sakala..

Saying that the same article had Morelos in quarantine whilst I saw it posted yesterday he was on the plane according to H & H so fuck knows 😃

That side is my prediction also, Davis and Lundstram gives us the strong base in front of the back 4 and Hagi will get a bit more license to get the ball up to Kent & Sakala quickly 

21 minutes ago, Essandoh said:

Can see this being tight.

1-0 Rangers.

14 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Going to be very difficult as I felt we were still a bit rusty on Saturday while Malmo are halfway through their season . 

Certainly winnable , but I'd pin our hopes more on next week , once we've had a couple more games under our belts . 

Brian Laudrup saying this morning that Malmo are a very decent outfit, and unlike certain other ex-player pundits I tend to pay attention to what he has to say. I said in another post on another thread that there seems to be a feeling amongst a few that this tie will be a skoosh. Whilst I certainly hope so, I have a feeing that we should grab any sort of result tonight and get the hell out of Dodge.

Having a, hopefully, full house at The Stadium will be a huge advantage for us in the return, as long as we do not suffer a bad one tonight.

6 minutes ago, KaiserJon said:

Decent looking team although personally I'd prefer to see Kamara start instead of Hagi.

7 minutes ago, KaiserJon said:

I'd be happy if that's the 11 starting tonight.

It won't be an easy tie but from what I've seen they are vulnerable on the counter. Let Kent and Sakala run at them when they push up. 

Stating the bleedin obvious time, but Itten should be feasting on raw meat at the moment to get him in the mood for tonight. This is his chance and he would be a fool if he went into tonight's game with anything other than a willingness to run through a brick wall if it is necessary.

Just now, Jakes Pal said:

Stating the bleedin obvious time, but Itten should be feasting on raw meat at the moment to get him in the mood for tonight. This is his chance and he would be a fool if he went into tonight's game with anything other than a willingness to run through a brick wall if it is necessary.

Reckon it will be Kent sakala and wright top if I'm honest 

4 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

Reckon it will be Kent sakala and wright top if I'm honest 

Mind games, if Sakala gets the nod before Itten, could destroy Cedric's confidence.  Sakala to be kept for impact value later in the game, his pace against tiring defence.

19 hours ago, Shuggy said:

Signed up to Premier Sports for the two games plus the league cup game.

They've punted the price from £9.99 pm to £12.99! So as soon as I subscribed I told the operator to unsubscribe me as it is 30 days notice - long enough for the 3 games. :)

They’ll be broadcasting the league cup this year as well.

Understand you cancelling if you go home and away, mind.

15 minutes ago, Mr Soprano said:

They’ll be broadcasting the league cup this year as well.

Understand you cancelling if you go home and away, mind.

Yes, fortunately for Premier, the time between league cup games is more than a subscription month, so you can't get two cup games in one month's payment.

Not my personal preference, though I wouldn’t be at all concerned to see it, but have a wee feeling we might see Arfield in tonight.

It’s near impossible to predict the line up these days, given our options.  Nice problem to have in fairness.

McGregor 

Tav     Goldson     Helander    Barisic

Arfield     Davis      Lundstram

Aribo/Hagi           Kent

Sakala

Can see Wright being left on the bench for bringing pace later in the game. If he’s fit, Hagi over Aribo for me. Strong enough to win, regardless.

I could sound utterly mental here but I would go McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Balogun, Barisic, Davis, Lundstram, Arfield, Aribo, Kent and Sakala.

With Kamara out I'd rather we just went for a bit more stability in the centre of midfield rather than bring Aribo back inside where he just isn't as strong. 

Even though Barisic hasn't had much game time as well I'd rather we played Balogun tonight rather than Helander considering he's only had 45 minutes in pre season.

Also if he plays Itten over Sakala I think we'll be a threat regardless. I also don't think playing both of them in Europe leaves us with the same issues as we've had playing a proper front two when we used Roofe and Morelos.

We seem to be way too open when we go two up in Europe. We scored, I think, 11 goals in the 3 games with those two up top but conceded 7 in those three. When we only played the one we conceded 7 in 7. Though it doesn't matter tonight I'd rather we avoided that later in Europe as we are much more able to control games.

Edit-Balogun suspended

1 minute ago, SIRB_72 said:

I could sound utterly mental here but I would go McGregor, Tav, Goldson, Balogun, Barisic, Davis, Lundstram, Arfield, Aribo, Kent and Sakala.

With Kamara out I'd rather we just went for a bit more stability in the centre of midfield rather than bring Aribo back inside where he just isn't as strong. 

Even though Barisic hasn't had much game time as well I'd rather we played Balogun tonight rather than Helander considering he's only had 45 minutes in pre season.

Also if he plays Itten over Sakala I think we'll be a threat regardless. I also don't think playing both of them in Europe leaves us with the same issues as we've had playing a proper front two when we used Roofe and Morelos.

We seem to be way too open when we go two up in Europe. We scored, I think, 11 goals in the 3 games with those two up top but conceded 7 in those three. When we only played the one we conceded 7 in 7. Though it doesn't matter tonight I'd rather we avoided that later in Europe as we are much more able to control games.

Balogun suspended

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic if fit / Bassey

Davis  Lundstram

Arfield

Kent                            Hagi

Sakala

Just now, Gazza2258 said:

McGregor

Tav Goldson Helander Barisic if fit / Bassey

Davis  Lundstram

Arfield

Kent                            Hagi

Sakala

Given Arfields lack of minutes pre season would it be to big a gamble to play Kelly alongside Lundstram & Davis?

Just now, Jardelsgoldenboot said:

Given Arfields lack of minutes pre season would it be to big a gamble to play Kelly alongside Lundstram & Davis?

I'll be honest, I don't know.  He looked good in his time pre-season games, but not sure if tonight would be too much for him at the mo?