*****The Official Malmo FF v Rangers thread*****

MisterC

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

Sloppy, and gave away 2x very cheap goals getting caught cold.

The fact Malmo are up and running in their season did show at times. We looked blunt and they are hardly a team that should be considered a 'gimme' draw. They are decent, I dread being drawn again North European teams early.

However 2-1 is not a disaster. Its recoverable.

If you want to be in the group stages, you need to beat teams like Malmo. If you cannot - you don't deserve to be there. Game may prove a wake up call.

I fucking hope so.

At 2-0 I was fearing the worst but that Davis goal could be worth a fortune to the club. The positives I am taking is we surely won’t be as disjointed in the return tie, 2-0 totally flattered them and we weren’t as terrible as some are saying.

We were just a bit rusty tonight and badly missed our stronger midfielders. Ball retention has to be a lot better. No room for error in the return though , we have to be on it for the whole game. 

9 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

It’s not like he’s been on Holiday for 6 weeks he’s been training every day with a decent level of player with Colombia. So he should be in decent shape physically just lacking in match fitness; which hopefully he will get st the weekend to prepare him for Malmö.

Just watched the post match. Gerrard mentioned Kamara, Roofe, Aribo and Balogun for the weekend.  

No mention of Alfie. Hopefully there isn't something else keeping him out aside from fitness. We do really need him for next week even if an option off the bench.

2 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Yeah the games I watched looked terrible to be fair. Although Colombia did finish 3rd so they must have done something right.

Or maybe the quality of South American football has declined significantly.

They have some amazing individual talent, but most of the games I watched were dreadful. 

4 hours ago, Drumloyal said:

Virtual Private Network mate.  Basically makes it look like you are in whichever country you select, you just select a country e.g. Germany and connect.  Any website you visit, including RTV, will think you are in Germany.   👍

Opera Browser has a free, built in vpn I believe. 

i watched the game on hesgoals it was gers tv and was perfect apart  from the result

Malmo may not be a great team but they play to their strengths and are well organised. They also fight like hell for each other.  I believe we can beat them next week but we will have to play an awful lot better than we did tonight.  Our defence has to be better and we need someone to bring a bit more to the midfield, probably Hagi instead of Arfield.  Itten looked up for it in the first half but if Alfie is anywhere near fit he has to play.   

Really disappointed with Borna, hardly ever uses his right foot and he has used it it in the past, if rarely.  Lundstram was slightly disappointing but that could be said about most of our players.  Helander proved he is no where like as slow as some have said.

Morelos for Itten next week

Aribo for Arfield

Would rather have Kamara for Lundstrum but not sure what else we can change apart from that. We're not going to have the personnel back next week that we would like to have, it's a case of the players needing to step up

Can see Hagi in for Wright also

1 minute ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

Davis is usually the last person you want in that position he’s shocking for shooting outside the box, he also got a lucky deflection or it wasn’t going in.

Either way a goals a goal and we’ll take it.

I know what you mean.
He shouldn't have been there to take the shot in the first place.
But we could argue, defensive mistakes aside, that we shouldn't have been two down.
Davis knows how to stay calm, and he sent it in the right direction.
And definitely, a goals a goal, and a very important one at that.

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

No they never.

We dominated the first half and fell asleep for a three minute spell and gifted them two goals. We will win by 3 next week, you can quote me on that.

Played in first gear and dominated 95% of the match.

I wouldn’t say dominated. However I know what you are saying.

Any slips next week will cost us though, so we need to be focussed and get our shooting boots on.

Early goal and take it from there.

Strange game, I thought we were in control in the first half without really doing anything.

Two minutes of madness at the start of the second half looked like it would have cost us the tie. 

Last 15 minutes and injury time thier back line were sucking up oxygen through the cheeks of their arse. 

With the addition of Aribo, Morelos and Hagi I believe we will have more than enough to go through. 

5 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

No they never.

We dominated the first half and fell asleep for a three minute spell and gifted them two goals. We will win by 3 next week, you can quote me on that.

Played in first gear and dominated 95% of the match.

Well, they beat us, didnt they? They didnt let us play at all.. nullified our threats. We were never dangerous. I fucking hope you are right about next week!!!

12 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Honestly delighted we came away with that goal, I felt like we had won the game after it. 

Malmo will surely be floored after that, we need to make it count next week. 

Still not changing my opinion on Lundstrums performance, one of the worst European debuts I’ve seen

How many tonight got pass marks? we were rank all over the park tbf.  

38 minutes ago, johanhentze said:

Malmø played as a team.. they fought like hell. Very much like we did in Europe for the past three seasons.. It means we beat some teams that we "shouldnt have". People can play down Malmø all they want, but they are not a bad TEAM. They might lack individual superstars, but they are a very good TEAM. We need to take them very seriously next week. Early goal and its even. 

They are also a team who regularly knock out all the Scottish teams, including us, they play against .

We can turn this round but it won’t be easy

4 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

League is our priority but we need the guys playing next week to get more minutes. Likes of Barisic, Helander, Lundstram and possibly even Morelos.

It's going to be interesting to see who starts Saturday. 

Hopefully get hagi and Aribo game time and Morelos I'd expect off the bench if he's available to play. 

5 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Morelos for Itten next week

Aribo for Arfield

Would rather have Kamara for Lundstrum but not sure what else we can change apart from that. We're not going to have the personnel back next week that we would like to have, it's a case of the players needing to step up

Can see Hagi in for Wright also

Wright was lively tonight. think he will keep his place, altho Hagi can unlock defences and you know Malmo are coming to sit in. 

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Controlled is probably a better word tbh, we lacked bigtime in the final third tonight.

What exactly did we control??? Our creative players were stifled... thats Kent, Wright, Borna and Tav. They did absolutely nothing. You can put it down to having a "bad game" our you can see it as the other team completely nullifying them.. Malmø worked their arse off to do exactly that. everytime Kent got the ball there were 3 players on him.. same goes for Itten. Tav and Borna were pushed back for too much of the game to make an impact. They pressed our defence so we couldnt play it out from the back. They were incredibly well organised and knew exactly how we play. Id say they let us play for a lot of the game... once they had their goals - which came from a mad 60 seconds, they kept on doing what they did so well. 

23 minutes ago, SwallowsHisOwnSpunk said:

It’s not like he’s been on Holiday for 6 weeks he’s been training every day with a decent level of player with Colombia. So he should be in decent shape physically just lacking in match fitness; which hopefully he will get st the weekend to prepare him for Malmö.

I just don't see him starting tbh.

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

So did Kaunas and Proges etc.  

We have lost to far weaker sides than Malmo, does not deflect away from that we gifted them two goals. 

Perhaps we gifted them two goals but they deserved to win that.. im not sure we even deserved that goal. Anyways, I will take it and hope to fuck that this is the kick up the arse that will turn this around!!

Just now, johanhentze said:

Perhaps we gifted them two goals but they deserved to win that.. im not sure we even deserved that goal. Anyways, I will take it and hope to fuck that this is the kick up the arse that will turn this around!!

They didn't deserve to win that. A draw would've been a fair result.

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

Tav and Borna had numerous chances to put crosses in but we only had 1 player in there non stop, did you even watch the game?

Even Gerrard said similar in his interview. 

The amount of garbage sides you hype is unbelievable.

They were nowhere to be seen for the most part. They did try and cross the ball, yes, but the quality was incredibly poor. Numerous just means more than one. Im not "hyping" them, by the way.. Im telling it as I bloody saw it. Talking them down doesnt retract from the fact that they just beat us. A "garbage" side would not have beaten us tonight.