*****The Official Malmo FF v Rangers thread*****

MisterC

Just now, The Specky Liar said:

We were worse in Russia than we were tonight

We definitely weren't good but barring a mental 60 seconds we were the better team over 90 minutes

Massive overreaction 

Wouldn't say we were the better side over the 90,last 20 minutes we started to come into it more. 

That midfield was chronic. 

2 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Wouldn't say we were the better side over the 90,last 20 minutes we started to come into it more. 

That midfield was chronic. 

Over the course of the game I think we were easily the better team

Lundstram was poor, Arfield got into a lot of good areas but end product was poor and Davis was fine

15 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Win the league this season and I'd go out and spend £10m on two centre backs to take us to the level we want to be at. 

I don’t actually think it’s the CBs that we need to replace (yes, I know Goldson wasn’t at his best tonight).

It’s midfield and I think part of the CBs issue tonight was the midfield we’re all over the place - esp Lundstram. Their touch, control and calmness was seriously lacking.

That’s where I’d be spending the big money. Think we need a proper enforcer and someone with a wider range of passing (which even Kamara is really weak on, too).

19 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

It's the manner of how we concede too. Tonight was completely avoidable and was mostly down to us not coming out the traps. We didn't start he second half at all. We actually we're in control first half and looked defensively stable.

Our defending at cross balls is terrible.

Amateurish even.

1 minute ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Our strongest midfield is still Jack,Davis,Kamara.

In games like tonight 100%

When everyone's fit we have options to mix it up depending on opponents. I know he wasn't at his best tonight but for games against the shite at Ibrox I'd have Arfield in if we're going play with a midfield 3. 

Just now, BearInTheToon said:

I don’t actually think it’s the CBs that we need to replace (yes, I know Goldson wasn’t at his best tonight).

It’s midfield and I think part of the CBs issue tonight was the midfield we’re all over the place - esp Lundstram. Their touch, control and calmness was seriously lacking.

That’s where I’d be spending the big money. Think we need a proper enforcer and someone with a wider range of passing (which even Kamara is really weak on, too).

As @STEPPS BOY said, we've conceded 2 goals a game In Europe on too many occasions, the system we play with roaming fullbacks is absolutely fine for domestic level but on the continent against better sides we get cut open far too easily and concede poor goals. 

1 minute ago, The Specky Liar said:

In games like tonight 100%

When everyone's fit we have options to mix it up depending on opponents. I know he wasn't at his best tonight but for games against the shite at Ibrox I'd have Arfield in if we're going play with a midfield 3. 

I’m a firm believer in Horses for courses but that’s the 3 for European games.

I’ve said before too, even games like Saturday against Livi  is there really a need for Davis and Kamara together.

6 minutes ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

As @STEPPS BOY said, we've conceded 2 goals a game In Europe on too many occasions, the system we play with roaming fullbacks is absolutely fine for domestic level but on the continent against better sides we get cut open far too easily and concede poor goals. 

Yeah, but mate, both of our CBs ARE £10m rated defenders. That’s what £10m would essentially get you.

Plus, defenders aren’t automatically the ones at fault when goals are conceded. Think about Benfica: Arfield gives the ball away and then they cut through our midfield with a pass because Davis is out of position.

31 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

It’s not an individual thing it’s as a team.

We miss a fully fit Ryan Jack massively.

There is no-one who properly covers Jack's absence. I thought Lundstrum might but he offers nowhere near the level of defensive intensity that Jack does. Without that the midfield isn't truly balanced.

I hope when he's back that he stays fit.

We were poor but Malmo weren't any good. It reminded me a bit of the Scum's matches against the Danes. No much quality on show at all. 

I think we were fairly comfortable without playing well and that mental 2 minutes was horrendous but we still never gave up and got something out of it at least.

Get an early goal in the return and I think it'll be comfortable but expect Malmo to defend deep. I expected it a bit but I wish they had VAR in these rounds and that it could stop half these diving cunts. Any touch and they are down like they've been shot moaning at the ref for bookings.

I thought Itten did well but he could have done Sakala up there with him tonight. He was holding the ball well and creating space, I just think Sakala could have had a field day in behind. Barisic, Lundstram, Goldson, Arfield (Kent and Tav at times) looked miles off it as well.

2 minutes ago, The Beast said:

There is no-one who properly covers Jack's absence. I thought Lundstrum might but he offers nowhere near the level of defensive intensity that Jack does. Without that the midfield isn't truly balanced.

I hope when he's back that he stays fit.

Tbf to Lundstram he’s probably having to learn the role as mibbe more used to being a box to box midfielder.

The problem for me wasn't so much that Lundstram & Arfield (ran his balls off) were poor but I thought before we kicked a ball that a trio of Lundstram/Davis/Arfield was wrong. I know we had no other choice but there is not enough forward passing from those three.

I don't think Malmo are getting enough credit. I've never seen us so ineffective against the press, especially in the second-half. They found ways to separate Goldson/Helander and when Tav is under pressure, he is never at his best.

If they play like that again, they may score but I think they will set up more defensively which plays into our hand.

18 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

Tbf to Lundstram he’s probably having to learn the role as mibbe more used to being a box to box midfielder.

True and it's early to make judgements but based on the evidence so far I'd want Jack back in the team over Lundstram.

1 minute ago, superallysbears said:

Fucking hell, the two at the back picked some game to have a stinker in, been along time since we were this bad at the back, thank fuck for the goal, hopefully back at Ibrox we can do ourselves justice.

Tbf on Helander I don't think he was all that bad. Not great but probably the best of the back four. Tav and Goldson had shockers, right back to the error ridden performances of 2 and 3 seasons ago. As for Barasic, for all his crossing and overlaps, I can't remember the last time he put in a top class defensive performance.