John Lundstram

The Dude

On 20/08/2021 at 02:19, peter huistra said:

He's only played a handful of games, he's been shite admittedly but to compare him to Duffy is a stretch to far.

I have every faith Gerrard and the coaching staff will turn him into a good player for us like they have done with others. 

He's 27 so he should be as good as he's likely to be at that age.   We have had and still have a fair number of failed signings since Gerrard and his backroom team arrived.   Thankfully many of them were loan deals but others wasted transfer fees.    Our model was supposed to be buy cheap, utilise to the full and develop further then sell at a significant profit.   To date, that hasn't happened.   

22 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

He's 27 so he should be as good as he's likely to be at that age.   We have had and still have a fair number of failed signings since Gerrard and his backroom team arrived.   Thankfully many of them were loan deals but others wasted transfer fees.    Our model was supposed to be buy cheap, utilise to the full and develop further then sell at a significant profit.   To date, that hasn't happened.   

Yip I'd probably agree Gerrard's signing have been quite hit and miss but the ones he's gotten right have been really good, at 27 Lundstram can still improve, you only have to look at Tav's game since Gerrard came to the club he's improved and he was around about the same age. 

19 minutes ago, peter huistra said:

Yip I'd probably agree Gerrard's signing have been quite hit and miss but the ones he's gotten right have been really good, at 27 Lundstram can still improve, you only have to look at Tav's game since Gerrard came to the club he's improved and he was around about the same age. 

For £20k+ per week I expect far better.  I think we should be looking further afield from the UK where you can get good players for less money.

25 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

For £20k+ per week I expect far better.  I think we should be looking further afield from the UK where you can get good players for less money.

Most of the successful signings have came from England, we should stick to the market we know best.

Imo our youths have never been better and it wouldn't hurt our finances if we took a risk on them instead of gambling money on signings from further afield.

With Beale having knowledge of the Brazilian league I'm surprised we have not managed to get a bargain from that area but it's not happened. 

5 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Right now we don't want it to.

Patterson, Kent, Hagi, Aribo, Morelos, Kamara all fit the mould. Doubt any if many want to see us complete the buy/develop/sell model this transfer window which we undoubtedly can.

When it does happen, and it will, this place will be in uproar.

11 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Problem is the players with sell on value are the ones we don't want to / can't afford to sell.

14 hours ago, JCDBigBear said:

Our model was supposed to be buy cheap, utilise to the full and develop further then sell at a significant profit.   To date, that hasn't happened. 

Patterson, Kamara, Kent, Hagi Aribo & Morelos cost us a combined 11 million. We would be looking to get five or six times that amount back if we were to sell them all.

We are never going to have a situation where every player is a success and every player is bought for peanuts and sold for a fortune. No club is and if it was as easy as some people seem to think it is then every club would would do it.

On 24/08/2021 at 14:21, DBBTB said:

Patterson, Kamara, Kent, Hagi Aribo & Morelos cost us a combined 11 million. We would be looking to get five or six times that amount back if we were to sell them all.

We are never going to have a situation where every player is a success and every player is bought for peanuts and sold for a fortune. No club is and if it was as easy as some people seem to think it is then every club would would do it.

I don't disagree about these players and their worth IF sold but they haven't been sold at this juncture.  My point was that our business model was to buy cheap and sell dear.    I've never suggested that every signing would be a success or give us a profit.    I do however, think that we need to look in different markets for players.   If Goldson doesn't sign a new deal then he can walk for nothing at the end of the season.  As much as it isn't the best time, we should consider selling now and line up a replacement.  His contract situation should have been completed before the start of the season.

On 24/08/2021 at 06:06, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Right now we don't want it to.

Patterson, Kent, Hagi, Aribo, Morelos, Kamara all fit the mould. Doubt any if many want to see us complete the buy/develop/sell model this transfer window which we undoubtedly can.

When it does happen, and it will, this place will be in uproar.

I understand that point fully but that is where we are these days.  Our Vice Chairman has stated that our business model was to make profit on players.  Such players will always be our best players.  The model needs to have us acquiring talented players and selling them on after a period of time.  For example, Kamara is probably at his optimum sell-on time.  2 years left on his contract and in good form gets top dollar.  A year from now with only 12 months left to run and his selling value will plummet.

4 minutes ago, MisterC said:

He certainly did mate. Put himself about well, won a few tackles, passed well and some good off the ball running. I know I've slated him but credit is due for his contribution when he came on today

Fresh start for him hopefully mate

I really liked his performance today

2 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

Fresh start for him hopefully mate

I really liked his performance today

Better players than him have had poorer starts for us than he has and gone on to do great things for the club. He did well today and did well when he came on last week so let's hope he keeps doing what he's doing👍

Just now, Monkey Butler said:

At that stage of the game we didn't need a Hagi, we needed a Lundstram. 

To do what? Are you bringing a player on who is slower than a snail to defend because he is physically bigger. He never played a pass outside two yards. He didn't do anything wrong but he gives me the fear.

So we signed Lundstram as a physical presence? I get the Arfield substitution not the lundstram one and this won't be the last time he is talked about.