Goodbye Morelos, Goldson and Kamara

Leeds_Bear

See to be honest, even if Morelos and Kent go we should still have a good enough squad to beat SPL teams. A bigger concern for me is management having an alternative plan to breaking teams down. Coulda played 4 games doing the same shite down the wings as the other night and not have scored.

Also that Colak from Malmö would be a great replacement for Alfie. 😜

50 minutes ago, beararse said:

How does contract negotiations stop you from defending effectively?

He’s still putting in the effort, it just so happens he’s making the same errors and misjudgement he made in his first few seasons and there was no contract talks back then.

For me it’s a lack of concentration that creeps into his game. Once against Dundee Utd and once against Malmö he chose to let the ball run out rather than clear it. Both times the striker nipped in and got the ball.

Was Goldson perhaps reflecting on whether his terms and conditions would be met at that moment or did he just switch off for a second or two?

It shouldn’t, but the amount of ex players who admit they couldn’t focus 100% when there was a move elsewhere they wanted proves it does happen. 

Goldson is clearly waiting to see if any EPL interest in him materialises. The whole pals with Gerrard act is laughable and I think Gerrard will know we’re being strung along and is trying to put a brave face on it. 

If a move doesn’t come up that he fancies, he’ll stay. But, I don’t really feel we should be accommodating him like that when he’s already one of our top earners. 

1 hour ago, BlueAvenger said:

If Morelos goes we are fucked this season. 

Beats me how as he only scored twelve goals in the league and Twelve goals in the league the season before his goal tally has dropped.

Tav got us 12 goals last season.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

Beats me how as he only scored twelve goals in the league and Twelve goals in the league the season before.

Tav got us 12 goals last season.

His off the ball play created a fuck load of spaces and opportunities for goals last season. 

I don’t get how anyone can still be basing him on just his goals.

4 minutes ago, MattyBlue said:

His off the ball play created a fuck lot of spaces and opportunities for goals last season. 

I don’t get how anyone can still be basing him on just his goals.

I see this posted all the time he links up play at times and yes he does but he's not as effective now as he was in front of goals he has also lost that burst of pace he had early in his career at us.

Roofe links up play Hagi links up play Tav links up play every player on the pitch is involved in linking up play.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

I see this posted all the time he links up play at times and yes he does but he's not as effective now as he was in front of goals.

Roofe links up play Hagi links up play Tav links up play every player on the pitch is involved in linking up play.

I don’t think any other player in the team bar maybe Kent has opposition tactics man marking and doubling up them for 90 minutes, Alfie is constantly dragging 1 or 2 defenders out of position opening up space for others to exploit

Just now, MattyBlue said:

I don’t think any other player in the team bar maybe Kent has opposition tactics man marking and doubling up them for 90 minutes, Alfie is constantly dragging 1 or 2 defenders out of position opening up space for others to exploit

It's part of his job they double up on Hagi, Tav and even Barisic he not the player he was in front of goals.

Will add he was the best player on the park the other night but he does turn it on in Europe.

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

I see this posted all the time he links up play at times and yes he does but he's not as effective now as he was in front of goals he has also lost that burdt of pace he had early in his career at us.

Morelos is far superior to any of our other forwards. Relying on Roofe (injury prone) Itten (not good enough) and Sakala (jury is out) and Defoe (age) and we will struggle. Unless we get another decent striker 

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

It's part of his job they double up on Hagi, Tav and even Barisic he not the player he was in front of goals.

Will add he was the best player on the park the other night but he does turn it on in Europe.

Yea I suppose you are right there mate I just think the way Alfie does it opening up maybe more important space dragging defenders out of position is incredibly valuable I don’t think Itten/Sakala can do that, thus my point he shouldn’t be judged purely on his goals 

2 minutes ago, MattyBlue said:

Yea I suppose you are right there mate I just think the way Alfie does it opening up maybe more important space dragging defenders out of position is incredibly valuable I don’t think Itten/Sakala can do that, thus my point he shouldn’t be judged purely on his goals 

Fair enough.

4 minutes ago, BlueAvenger said:

Morelos is far superior to any of our other forwards. Relying on Roofe (injury prone) Itten (not good enough) and Sakala (jury is out) and Defoe (age) and we will struggle. Unless we get another decent striker 

Roofe was the best striker last season agree injuries are an issue. Itten would get twelve goals in the league if given game time we need a striker and a creative midfielder.

Weve heard a lot about the loss of champs league money - £30m etc - but whats the earning potential of the Europa League? 

Obviously its less, but we will still make something: especially as I would expect us to progress somewhat in that competition.

The point is, the loss in our expected revenue might not be as large as first seemed: could this not tide us over, or at least give a stay of execution before having to jettison players?

5 minutes ago, IanScott said:

Weve heard a lot about the loss of champs league money - £30m etc - but whats the earning potential of the Europa League? 

Obviously its less, but we will still make something: especially as I would expect us to progress somewhat in that competition.

The point is, the loss in our expected revenue might not be as large as first seemed: could this not tide us over, or at least give a stay of execution before having to jettison players?

No - its fairly easy to look at it from the last set of released figures for 2019/20.

Even with EL money we were operating with an £18m deficit. Since then we have bought in guys like Roofe, Bassey, Balogun, Hagi, Itten, Simpson, Wright. We haven't offloaded too many. 

2 hours ago, jjbscotty12 said:

Bigger and better players have left us in the past and we didn’t do too badly mate. We need to trust the board and Ross Wilson to get the correct replacements in if we do sell a Morelos or Kent for big money.

Wilsons replacements last season when we thought Morelos was leaving were an injury prone Roofe and Itten.

3 minutes ago, BuffaloUSAGers said:

At Porto Morelos would get Champions League football this fall. It would hard to blame him if he wants to go.

On that note of them having CL money we shouldn’t be accepting much less than our initial asking price imo, don’t want to be getting bent over 

2 hours ago, jjbscotty12 said:

Bigger and better players have left us in the past and we didn’t do too badly mate. We need to trust the board and Ross Wilson to get the correct replacements in if we do sell a Morelos or Kent for big money.

We’ve actually missed not having Roofe being available.  Different player from Morelos but he has proved he can score.  Not the end of the world at all if Morelos does go.