Full backs.

beararse

57 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Agree with most of that post mate but I do think Barisic will come good again. He is clearly not 100% which has probably something to do with his injury towards the end of last season.

I'm sure we all hope so, because I'm not sure what the hell is going on with us at the minute. The haters and hammer throwers now smelling blood, so its imperative we get back on top of our game soonest and hand out a few lessons.

I'm still a bit shell shocked at what's happened. I was wetting myself thinking we were going through at half time as we come back regrouped for the second and finish it off and then bang. World collapsed.

This last week a roller coaster.

7 hours ago, bluenoz said:

People were always going to defend Tav over Patterson. Probably because he is our captain, more experienced, loyalty etc but I believe Patterson is ready and is the better of the two players. But Gerrard will continue to defend Tav (and Goldson), that's just the way it is.

Has anyone actually ever put in a bid for Tavernier, Barisic or Goldson? That should say a lot.

I keep saying it but tav staying is hampering Patterson big time. The boy needs games and plenty of them. This window is the time to thank tav and cash in while he's value is arguably at its highest. Patterson is a ready made replacement waiting to play 

6 hours ago, beararse said:

All about opinions but my opinion is claptrap. Is that right?

Im basing my argument on figures, albeit it is an estimated  figure when it comes to the number of crosses Barisic hits per game. That estimate is actually lower then he actually managed in a terrible display v Dundee Utd. It’s reasonable to assume he manages at least similar per game over the course of a season.

That being the case, We will score no more than  32 goals from every 1,000 crosses Barisic hits.

Thats shite IMO.

Now, it might be more of a reflection on our strikers but clearly it is not that profitable a tactic to rely on Barisic and his glorified crossing.

He is not the assist machine he is made out to be. His figures should be considerably higher.

Also, you can’t compare Robertson and TAA’s assists with Barisic unless you know how many crosses they put in.

They might well only average 5 per game, therefore their yield would be improved.

It doesn’t really matter. They play in a far superior league against far superior opposition so there is no comparison. They’ve also got better players to get on the end of the ball. 

It’s all about opinions, but that doesn’t mean I have to agree with yours.

We aren’t going to agree, you won’t change my mind and I won’t change yours, so we are best to leave it at that.

20 hours ago, jjbscotty12 said:

I don’t even think Bassey is good enough for Rangers tbh.

He's pretty fucking shoddy. Runs about a lot though so that seems to be all some folk need. Funnily enough tje same folk probably wanted Andy Halliday ahead of Barisic, probably because he runs around a lot too. 

26 minutes ago, The Dude said:

He's pretty fucking shoddy. Runs about a lot though so that seems to be all some folk need. Funnily enough tje same folk probably wanted Andy Halliday ahead of Barisic, probably because he runs around a lot too. 

Not really comparable. Bassey has physical gifts Halliday doesn’t.

Borna has been utter garbage, I don’t think Bassey would have been worse and deserves a chance on early season form. (And I don’t think Bassey is good enough either). 

8 hours ago, peter huistra said:

What's Bassey's stats ? 

It's also a bit disrespectful to call a team who recently got a draw away to Galatasaray and won two of the cups last season journey men.

We should never underestimate the teams we are up against.

Not underestimating or being disrespectful.

Just because St Johnstone have performed well it doesn’t mean their squad isn’t made up of journeymen.

Most if not all on here recognise it’ll be harder to get the better of a back line consisting of TAA, Matip, Van Dijk, Robertson and Alison than it would be  against  Tanner, Kerr, Gordon, Rooney and Clark. Stating as much isn’t showing a lack of respect, it’s pointing to the obvious.

As for Basseys stats he’s only featured in 16 games for Rangers, mostly as a sub. Also, if we took the first 16 games for Barisic’s Rangers career they’ll be comparable as Barisic was brutal in the beginning, as he is currently.

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

Not really comparable. Bassey has physical gifts Halliday doesn’t.

Borna has been utter garbage, I don’t think Bassey would have been worse and deserves a chance on early season form. (And I don’t think Bassey is good enough either). 

Bassey has been pretty piss poor as well on 'early season form'. Absolutely big average in pre-season too. He might have gifts Halliday doesn't, but does he have ANYTHING Barisic doesn't? 

2 hours ago, The Dude said:

Bassey has been pretty piss poor as well on 'early season form'. Absolutely big average in pre-season too. He might have gifts Halliday doesn't, but does he have ANYTHING Barisic doesn't? 

Pace and power, and a bit of heart.

All things Barasic is yet to show this season. He was absolutely stinking on Tuesday. 

24 minutes ago, tm91 said:

This post is spot on. Especially the point about Davis, Kamara and Jack. They're arguably more crucial than the full backs are. They provide the cover when the full-backs are in the opposite half and can press from deep to sustain pressure when we're attacking, on top of their role in maintaining possession.

We lost these CL games because our midfield simply wasn't right in either game. With Kamara, Jack and Davis to choose from, once they're all available, we should see us revert back to the sort of play that won the league by 25 points. 

And what if Kamara goes, and Jack never gets fit again. The lack of money we’ve spent in CM is catching up to us IMO. 

46 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

And what if Kamara goes, and Jack never gets fit again. The lack of money we’ve spent in CM is catching up to us IMO. 

If that did happen, and it's all hypothetical of course, then he'd have to consider a change in system to suit what he has!

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

He got plenty plaudits for his overall play v Livingston, with justified criticism for his final ball. He assisted well for Roofe at the 3rd goal. 

Borna hasn't offered as much as that from more opportunities, and his crossing and dead ball play have been poor. He doesnt have pace and power to his play, and defensively Borna has looked ropey since his injury. The less said about his free kick versus Utd the better 

Borna is undoubtedly the better player, but I'd disagree he's offering more right now. If he needs games to get his sharpness back then that's one thing. But we can't afford full backs to offer nothing and that's what he is doing moreso than Tav and Bassey when he got his chance.

On 12/08/2021 at 07:59, The Dude said:

image.gif.f2919b117fcb8f6b54fa1b2d7ee51905.gif

Patterson and Bassey, in particular, playing very well. Again it's been helped out by our midfield. When the ball is on the right Lundstram goes in between Goldson and Patterson while Kamara sits and Aribo plays further forward. When the ball goes on the left it's the exact same but Aribo is in between Simpson and Bassey and Lundstram players further forward (1st goal perfect example.

All this combined with some good pressing up front and we're stopping Dunfermline get out. Much more like the Rangers I know!

Just now, tm91 said:

Bassey had a great game and has clearly been working on his crossing. Borna is still the better player but given his poor form there's definitely a decision for Gerrard to make.

However, Patterson is the real dilemma. He plays like a seasoned pro at 19. As a youth prospect, he's the most exceptional player we've seen since Ferguson. There will need to be a discussion sooner than later about when we transition from Tav to Patterson. There's an argument that this should be Tav's last season at Rangers, as good as he was last year.

There’s an optimum time to sell a player, you could be right.

Shows you how much pish gets talked on here he had a bad game once upon a time and he’s been considered shite by plenty since. Really glad to see him proving doubters wrong. He’s got ALL the attributes to play at the top level, everything a modern day full back should be.