Full backs.

beararse

2 minutes ago, JuliusC said:

Barisic has talent, but the truth of the matter is, he's a poor defender and of late, lost his spine going forward, not his fitness and that will take some time to get back.

Bassey is a no brainer.

Bornas best crosses have come from him entering the pitch 

7 hours ago, GOAT said:

We’ve just won a league title and went through the entire season unbeaten in doing so and people want our best left back from the season dropped because he’s not been that great in his first three or four games in the new season. 🙈

I'll take last season's left back all day long. Not the current one who is offering little after his injury, and by little I mean far less than the other natural left back who is seizing his opportunity.

If its minutes he needs then he should find them in the B team or get 30 mins at the ends of matches won. But it looked more than that and we need players who have form right now.

Borna is the better player. Bassey is the better player right now.

7 hours ago, King Jela said:

Do folk think Patterson was really that good tonight? I can't say I was wow'd too much by him. 

I thought he got stronger as the game went on. Not as impressive as Bassey, but yeah I thought he showed up well. Tbh we'd probably all be raving about his performance if the keeper hadn't touched his strike over the bar.

If Tav was injured I'd have no qualms him stepping in. On the other side though I feel Bassey can do no more and given Bornas form he deserves to be in.

7 hours ago, murzo said:

Trouble is if Patterson keeps progressing as he has then we’ll not have him for long. 

The real problem is if Patterson isn't playing week in week out he won't progress the way we are all expecting him to. He needs to be playing weekly right now not next season or a couple of seasons down the line 

Tavernier is still a good bit ahead of Patterson. In the final third especially. Bassey has kicked on from pre season and last night showed that he has been working hard in training to improve his delivery and distribution. Movement and link up play at the moment is better than Barisic who doesn’t look remotely fit. Barely crossed the half way line in his last three performances which stunts our ability to move the ball quickly as there has been a lack of width and movement.

Tav & Bassey for the full back positions just now.

Is Barasic still carrying that back injury that kept him out of the majority of the Euro's.

We have seen before that he doesnt do well if he is carrying a niggle of some sort.

The two lads put in good performances against what was arguably a poor Dunfermline side will the gaffer trust them to move it up a level?

I think I might because we really need to start building some momentum this season.

1 hour ago, ESWF said:

Tavernier is still a good bit ahead of Patterson. In the final third especially. .

Right now he's not, tavs attempted probably about 50 crosses this season already, most have hit the first defender, he's got one assist from a cross so far in 4 competitive appearances

Defensively there isn't much between them, always been the worst part of tavs game

14 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Right now he's not, tavs attempted probably about 50 crosses this season already, most have hit the first defender, he's got one assist from a cross so far in 4 competitive appearances

Defensively there isn't much between them, always been the worst part of tavs game

Patterson isn’t on the same level as Tavernier. If he continues to develop the way we all hope they he may well.

3 minutes ago, ESWF said:

Patterson isn’t on the same level as Tavernier. If he continues to develop the way we all hope they he may well.

If Patterson develops the same way he’ll end up being a far superior footballer than Tav. 

Honestly last night he was immense and whilst it was a poorer opposition, he’s a much more developed player than Tav was at that age. He could be in the same bracket as your Robertson’s and Tierneys in terms of talent, if he applies himself.

Genuinely could be a top 4 level EPL fullback at his peak, he has the potential

8 minutes ago, ESWF said:

Patterson right now is at the same level at tav as tav has been honking all season, he can't live off past glories, gerrard has to play the form players, and right now patterson has done nothing wrong to lose that position

26 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

Is Barasic still carrying that back injury that kept him out of the majority of the Euro's.

We have seen before that he doesnt do well if he is carrying a niggle of some sort.

The two lads put in good performances against what was arguably a poor Dunfermline side will the gaffer trust them to move it up a level?

I think I might because we really need to start building some momentum this season.

He’s clearly not at full fitness, you can tell because the time it takes him to recover from an attacking position is longer. When you aren’t fit, your set pieces/crossing will dip slightly as well. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if Barisic gets injured in the next few games due to the amount of football he’s player and international duty. He’s playing like someone at 50% atm. If big Shirleys in form, keep playing him and give Borna the time to recoup 

32 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Patterson right now is at the same level at tav as tav has been honking all season, he can't live off past glories, gerrard has to play the form players, and right now patterson has done nothing wrong to lose that position

How many deliveries did Patterson complete last night? Nothing to do with living off past glories. Patterson isn’t in any better form than what Tavernier is. For me Tavernier keeps his place. Over on the left is a different story. Bassey is in much better form that Barisic.

7 minutes ago, ESWF said:

How many deliveries did Patterson complete last night? Nothing to do with living off past glories. Patterson isn’t in any better form than what Tavernier is. For me Tavernier keeps his place. Over on the left is a different story. Bassey is in much better form that Barisic.

What did patterson do wrong last night to lose his place next thursday? Tav has contributed nothing since setting up hagi with the freekick against livi, in a system that is based around the fullbacks being key to our creativity, thats a terrible stat

Patterson played exceptionally well last night, defensively and offensively, arguably he was in the box more times than tav this season, bit of luck he sets up at least a goal, but his link up play, his intensity, pace and workrate all top notch last night, defo nothing reasoned to drop him

Nothing that Bassey or Patterson did last night suggests that they should be dropped for Tav and Barisic. Frankly that pair have had a poor start to the season and should be made to fight to get their spot back. That may just be the kick up the arse that they need.

2 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Tav is on a couple of assists though I'm sure. Even when playing poorly that's 2 more than Borna on the other side. And Bassey is on a couple too.

Assist stats aren't everything as they obv don't include chances then not taken. On general play imo Tav and Bassey are offering most going forward, though Paterson isn't far behind Tav.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Tav is on a couple of assists though I'm sure. Even when playing poorly that's 2 more than Borna on the other side. And Bassey is on a couple too.

Assist stats aren't everything as they obv don't include chances then not taken. On general play imo Tav and Bassey are offering most going forward, though Paterson isn't far behind Tav.

Why are people judging Patterson and Tavernier solely on assists?

I don't know the answer to the right back selection going forward but it is clear for all to see that Patterson is ready and for me, is probably the better of the two. It only becomes complicated because Tavernier is our captain so excluding him doesn't sit well with a lot of fans. Whereas, if Barisic sits, it wouldn't cause as big a controversy.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Tav has two assists one is the header that wright scored from against livi he barely scraped the ball with his head, thats why i didnt include it, since then he's had about 30 crosses and they were that bad against united that charlie mulgrew looks like a world class defender the amount of clearances he made

But your right, assists aren't anything, and watching both them this season, patterson looks the more dynamic, attacking threat out of the two

FACT(see I've put it in capitals, must be true)

Barasic is either injured or off form the end result is the same hes no playing well.

Even a Tav on top form would struggle if we are only effectively  attacking down one flank and could arguably be effecting Kent's form as well.

I think Dunfermline were worried by Patterson's attacking and it was noticable that Bassey had acres of space to operate in at times. They cant double team both sides and no leave spaces in the middle you could drive a bus through.

1 minute ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Tav has two assists one is the header that wright scored from against livi he barely scraped the ball with his head, thats why i didnt include it, since then he's had about 30 crosses and they were that bad against united that charlie mulgrew looks like a world class defender the amount of clearances he made

But your right, assists aren't anything, and watching both them this season, patterson looks the more dynamic, attacking threat out of the two

Yeah but really you've got to include it, it's in the stats. I'm just saying there's obviously more to their play than stats, but it's wrong to deduct based on it not being a great assist 🤣

I'd have no qualms Patterson retaining his jersey, but do think Tav is still ahead of him plus is the captain so its unlikely he'll be dropped.

6 minutes ago, southcoastbear said:

FACT(see I've put it in capitals, must be true)

Barasic is either injured or off form the end result is the same hes no playing well.

Even a Tav on top form would struggle if we are only effectively  attacking down one flank and could arguably be effecting Kent's form as well.

I think Dunfermline were worried by Patterson's attacking and it was noticable that Bassey had acres of space to operate in at times. They cant double team both sides and no leave spaces in the middle you could drive a bus through.

Huh?

Bassey only had space to work in from good intricate moves or from beating his man. He wasn't marked any less than Patterson was, he just did well repeatedly to get free.

Borna is clearly struggling. Injury, fitness, sharpness, confidence, ....who knows?  The question is where he gets the minutes needed to recover form, as we can't suffer whilst he's doing so when his cover is excelling.

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

Huh?

Bassey only had space to work in from good intricate moves or from beating his man. He wasn't marked any less than Patterson was, he just did well repeatedly to get free.

Borna is clearly struggling. Injury, fitness, sharpness, confidence, ....who knows?  The question is where he gets the minutes needed to recover form, as we can't suffer whilst he's doing so when his cover is excelling.

Wasnt saying either of them did better than the other, was just trying to highlight we need to be attacking down both flanks.

To easy to cover if attacks are just down one side.

5 hours ago, plymouthranger said:

If Patterson develops the same way he’ll end up being a far superior footballer than Tav. 

Honestly last night he was immense and whilst it was a poorer opposition, he’s a much more developed player than Tav was at that age. He could be in the same bracket as your Robertson’s and Tierneys in terms of talent, if he applies himself.

Genuinely could be a top 4 level EPL fullback at his peak, he has the potential

Really don’t think he was. He was decent. Bassey was the standout.