Full backs.

beararse

19 hours ago, bluenoz said:

Why are people judging Patterson and Tavernier solely on assists?

I don't know the answer to the right back selection going forward but it is clear for all to see that Patterson is ready and for me, is probably the better of the two. It only becomes complicated because Tavernier is our captain so excluding him doesn't sit well with a lot of fans. Whereas, if Barisic sits, it wouldn't cause as big a controversy.

That’s the thing that gets me…it’s always assists that are mentioned. Probably because it is quantifiable, unlike energy and positioning. 

I know I went to great effort to highlight Barisic’s likely return from crosses in previous posts but that was because it is the only thing he really brings to the team. 
When he’s off the boil he’s as well being on the bench. Tav is slightly different as he offers more to the team.

That said, I still think Patterson should keep his place in the team. He won’t tho.

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

2 big games this season, 2 defeats, with the "experienced" players, maybe its time to let the youth go for it, 

And if their lack of experience leads to another defeat then the same people here who are hyping them up will be the first to want them hung, drawn and quartered no doubt.

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

How did patterson do against antwerp again? 

What exactly is your point?

Tav’s our captain and 99.9% of managers would play their captain if he’s fit and available in a big, high pressure game and Gerrard will be no different.

Patterson will get game this season, Thursday just won’t be a game that he will start.

Patterson didn’t really stake his claim at all on Friday to be honest, those saying he should be starting just normally have some sort of view on Tav they’ll never budge on. 

On the other side however Bassey should start over Barisic until Barisic can prove otherwise. Barisic has contributed absolutely nothing in his first few games whereas Bassey has clearly went away for 2 weeks and worked on his biggest weakness in crossing ability which was used to justify Barisic starting. 

10 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

What exactly is your point?

Tav’s our captain and 99.9% of managers would play their captain if he’s fit and available in a big, high pressure game and Gerrard will be no different.

Patterson will get game this season, Thursday just won’t be a game that he will start.

Still doesn't mean its right, tav has been honking bar one freekick against livi for the opening goal, patterson was a breath of fresh air on the right on friday night, 

Captain or not, and tbh not even just tav, the experienced guys that fucked it twice against malmo dont deserve another euro game to potentially fuck up, kent shouldnt be near the game (even though he did set up both our goals against malmo), barisic, hell if roofe was available id say start him in front of morelos the now, 

Managers are paid the money to make the big decisions and not hide behind stuff like "he's the captain so he must play" the correct decision going by recent form would be patterson, bassey on the left and wright or hagi in for kent

10 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Patterson didn’t really stake his claim at all on Friday to be honest, those saying he should be starting just normally have some sort of view on Tav they’ll never budge on. 

On the other side however Bassey should start over Barisic until Barisic can prove otherwise. Barisic has contributed absolutely nothing in his first few games whereas Bassey has clearly went away for 2 weeks and worked on his biggest weakness in crossing ability which was used to justify Barisic starting. 

Saying tav should start while barisic shouldnt, all tav has done more than barisic this season is one decent freekick for hagis livi goal, and then proceeded to offer nothing for 3 games 

Patterson's drive, dynamic attacking intent, his movement, his link up play, his defensive concentration, all in abundance on friday night has been better than anything tav has shown all season 

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

What has Tavernier done since coming back from his injury. not just to begin this season? So he stakes a claim based on his performances up until last Christmas? He will play on Thursday and I hope watching Friday's game reignites him. It should but you can't say one thing and not the other.

Barisic is clearly not fit. We will see a better version in the coming weeks.

I always thought Bassey's weakness in crossing was overplayed on here. 

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Saying tav should start while barisic shouldnt, all tav has done more than barisic this season is one decent freekick for hagis livi goal, and then proceeded to offer nothing for 3 games 

Patterson's drive, dynamic attacking intent, his movement, his link up play, his defensive concentration, all in abundance on friday night has been better than anything tav has shown all season 

36 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

What has Tavernier done since coming back from his injury. not just to begin this season? So he stakes a claim based on his performances up until last Christmas? He will play on Thursday and I hope watching Friday's game reignites him. It should but you can't say one thing and not the other.

Barisic is clearly not fit. We will see a better version in the coming weeks.

I always thought Bassey's weakness in crossing was overplayed on here. 

Tav has clearly contributed, if you can’t see that it’s just your own thoughts on the player that’ll never change. 

Barisic on the other hand has looked shaky in every department and offered nothing going forward 

20 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Tav has clearly contributed, if you can’t see that it’s just your own thoughts on the player that’ll never change. 

Barisic on the other hand has looked shaky in every department and offered nothing going forward 

So apart from the one freekick hagi scored from against livi, can you tell us these tav contributions to a pretty awful start to our season

9 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

What has he contributed this season? Apart from making mulgrew look like a defender by hitting him with every single cross last Saturday 

You’ve always had it in for Tav tbh so it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that you’ve jumped on the want him dropped bandwagon the second the defence has had a wobble even though he hasn’t been anywhere close to the worst defender in there (Barisic, Balogun and Goldson have all been more suspect).

You aren’t going to change my opinion that he should play and I’m not going to change your opinion that he should be dropped, so let’s just agree to disagree.

29 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

You’ve always had it in for Tav tbh so it doesn’t surprise me in the slightest that you’ve jumped on the want him dropped bandwagon the second the defence has had a wobble even though he hasn’t been anywhere close to the worst defender in there (Barisic, Balogun and Goldson have all been more suspect).

You aren’t going to change my opinion that he should play and I’m not going to change your opinion that he should be dropped, so let’s just agree to disagree.

So the same people wanting barisic dropped for being shite and balogun dropped for being shite dont want tav dropped for what again? 

You didnt answer my question, what has tav contributed that makes him worthy of a place in the team, surely if he's contributed like you agreed with then you can indicate these contributions? 

Tav and Barisic will both start Thursday and probably Sunday, get a good result in the home leg and Paterson/Bassey will start the return. Tav and Barisic rested for the Fenians Imo

If People like it or not they are our first choice full backs and club captain, the manager will stick with them for the big games. 

9 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Okay, so even giving him that against livi what did he contribute against malmo twice and Dundee united, 

We've not been contributing much as a team. This improved versus Livi, and despite not playing he's still in our top contributors. Whether it's enough is debatable but he's there, others noticeably aren't,  and you can't just deliberately ignore stats because they don't fit your narrative.

Screenshot_20210815-161158_Samsung Internet.jpg

2 hours ago, KeyserSoze said:

Aye get them to fuck.  Clearly last years defensive record was completely imaginary 

tool

This season's defensive record isn't imaginary either. Not forgetting the many miraculous saves McGregor made to stop us dropping points last season. That might not happen again.

New season, new slate. Can't be basking in past glories.

We need to much improve to get back on track and for me, the usual suspects aren't doing it. Three losses against shite and they should be out, especially in what they are being replaced with are adding more value in energy, attitude and varied play.