What is wrong with this team?

graeme_4

21 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Too many guys going through the motions. Not buying this confidence stuff though. Players came back looking like they only needed to turn up to win games.

Fine line between assertive, confident, arrogance and complacency I think a few have drifted the wrong way and need brought back.

He has tried the supportive bit, now he is calling them out, continued failure must result in being dropped or worst case transfer listed/sold.

SG needs to get this sorted now.

The Dude likes this

We all loved the celebration for 55 but that should have been the beginning, not the end. Maybe the achievement, plus all the records, made some of them think “job done” despite saying the opposite in interviews. Saying it is not enough. These players need to reset, forget 55, start the hunt all over again.

Interesting that guys like Wright, Bassey and Hagi, who were fringe players and not in starting eleven most weeks, were the most motivated last night. They still have their own mountain to climb.

Meanwhile, the players living on last season’s success need dropped until they wake up and smell the coffee.

Added to all of this our transfer dealings in the last couple of windows have been very poor. Only Wright looks like he's going to be a success and guys like Lundstram and Simpson are steps backwards not forwards.

1 minute ago, Smile said:

We are carrying too many players who are not working hard enough we have options on the bench an Gerrard is playing players who are just going through the motions.

Players have been hyped to death even on here who are bang average.

Plenty players who look wonderful when things are going well. When things aren't so rosy and we're looking for those to drag us out of it there's not near so many.

Bears r us likes this

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Aye he's done the arm round the shoulder bit when players have struggled, time for hairdryers. As daft as it maybe sounds, what worked last season is going to be very different to this season. We've got the target on our backs now and need to show we're up for the fight.

Yeah this is now about pushing the levels from within the squad.

Most teams when they hit the top invest but due to us carrying the financials from last season and not selling means we have to utilise the squad better which up to last season SG never seemed to trust.

The Dude likes this

1 minute ago, Smile said:

We are carrying too many players who are not working hard enough we have options on the bench an Gerrard is playing players who are just going through the motions.

Players have been hyped to death even on here who are bang average.

Happens every time we sign a player , look at the Bacuna thread now and he struggled to hold down a place at Huddersfield.....

Smile likes this

Said last night one thing that infuriates me is when our build up is slow, honestly I'm struggling to think of a team who's had any great amount of success from slow build up. When we were at our best last year we were fast on the ball and it was one or two touch, you see some of the players taking six seven touches before passing. Last night for example thought we missed Roofe's movement off the ball, thought Hagi's off the ball movement was good but you need more than one player doing it. Another massive miss for me is Ryan Jack, not only does he cover the full backs I think he's the best midfielder at carrying the ball between lines and getting us up the park.

Just now, sassaaaa said:

Happens every time we sign a player , look at the Bacuna thread now and he struggled to hold down a place at Huddersfield.....

Hope the boy does well but we should be getting players from a higher level.

sassaaaa likes this

Just now, sassaaaa said:

I'd been thinking about this as well. Do we only scout in Scotland and the English lower leagues?   There are players to be got out there in the wider world; the jap at the scum is one example.

sassaaaa likes this

1 hour ago, graeme_4 said:

We’ve been largely awful this season so far. No intensity, no pace, no creativity. 

Weak in defence, slow in midfield, pedestrian up front. 

Guys like Kent, Goldson, Tav and McGregor were phenomenal last season - and they’re a shadow of themselves now. Kent in particular looked like he couldn’t or wouldn’t even run last night. 

Fuck knows what’s going on, but that team were absolute farmers last night, and we made it very difficult as we have done many times this season. 

I’m worried about the weekend, never mind the OF.

You’ve pretty much summed up everything that’s wrong with this team. 
With Roofe and Kamara back I reckon we’ll be ok on Sun but next Thursday has disaster written all over it. celtic will be rubbing their hands for the Sunday too. 
We have been beyond awful so far 

15 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Kent and McGregor being miles off it is every bit as damaging as either full-back or even Goldson.

I don't think its helped McGregor one bit swapping him in and out with McLaughlin every game. McLaughlin needs to keep the bench warm unless McGregor is injured. 

Barasic had a summer where a back injury kept him out the Euros but was still with the Croatian squad. Shoving him back in after a week of training instead of trusting Bassey for a bit was a failure on managements part.

Kent, Tav and Goldson have zero excuse for their performances. They are the ones guilty of going through the motions.

4 minutes ago, The Beast said:

I'd been thinking about this as well. Do we only scout in Scotland and the English lower leagues?   There are players to be got out there in the wider world; the jap at the scum is one example.

Alegria? Sakala?

Suspension of roofe and kamara hasn’t helped, arguably our two most effective players. New players coming in and contributing fuck all lundstram and sakala(where even is he?) it’s meant we can’t get a settled team. Also some bad team selections it has to be said, resting McGregor in league games and helander for malmo at home, the latter was a disastrous decision after he’d marked their danger man out of the first leg.

BlueAvenger likes this

50 minutes ago, j1mgg said:

I would ban supporters from the tim game, see if that makes a difference, because at this moment in time, we ain't winning that game playing how we are just now.

:lol:

Honestly if we ever came close to making a decision like that I’d release the whole fucking team from their contracts first and start playing the B team instead 

ForeverAndEver and The Dude like this

27 minutes ago, tm91 said:

A lot of good points made in this thread, but to add two more:

1) Previously we either had 8 qualifier games against increasingly difficult opposition or an extended pre-season, which allowed us to hit the ground running and be fitter than most of our opponents. This time we haven't had that, and a number of players have had disrupted pre seasons. We just don't look fit and we haven't started at all.

2) The midfield isn't balanced. The way we play, we look at our best when Davis, Kamara and/or Jack can sit in there, covering for the full backs, controlling the game and pressing when required to keep the intensity up. Instead we've had Aribo, Lundstram, Arfield all playing there, so we don't have that solidity.

A few points made here - complacency, lack of fight, the issue of struggling to motivate ourselves after achieving a high - all these are relevant as well I think. There's no one simple answer.

Good post. Similar to season 2 under Gerrard, there was no simple answer to our post January woes. Injuries, loss of form and no depth, pressure all coming to roost at the same time.

This time around we have the squad depth to shake the team up, hoping Gerrard is willing to use it. Expect Scott Wright, Kamara and maybe Roofe to come into the side at the weekend to give us a lift again.

But it's undoubtedly concerning, the fact we've even had to keep chopping and changing so much hasn't helped either.

6 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

I don't think its helped McGregor one bit swapping him in and out with McLaughlin every game. McLaughlin needs to keep the bench warm unless McGregor is injured. 

Barasic had a summer where a back injury kept him out the Euros but was still with the Croatian squad. Shoving him back in after a week of training instead of trusting Bassey for a bit was a failure on managements part.

Kent, Tav and Goldson have zero excuse for their performances. They are the ones guilty of going through the motions.

Made no difference last season.

You can just about add Davis to that list too. Lundstram has rocked up thinking he's Messi. Another one or two not at it really yet too. Aribo has struggled a bit.

Our start to the season has been absolutely howling but it’s hard to pin it on one specific issue. There are a few:

Too many players believing their own hype. 
Poor pre-season matches. 
Pre-season disrupted for some players by Euros and Copa America. 
Drawing Scandinavian teams in mid-season and fit - always a massive problem that has killed better sides than us - but we should have been ready. 
Scandalous suspension of Kamara and Roofe for Euro games - Kamara especially was a disgrace. 
Uninspiring transfer window especially Lundstram who looks miles off. 
Refusal to drop underperforming players. 
Still over reliance on Morelos - Itten?
Too trusting of manager’s favourites. 
No plan B. 

Everyone from the manager down needs to look in the mirror and ask if they have done enough. I’d say in the games so far perhaps only one or two players can honestly say they’ve performed. There is no point burying heads in the sand. Last season we heard all season from celtic fans they would come good. They didn’t. We are clearly well short of last season and we need answers quickly as a few more bad performances and we are 6-9 points behind…then who’s laughing. 

tm91 and North Antrim Loyal like this