Sun running a story about racist chants on a supporters bus upto Dingwall

j1mgg

7 minutes ago, Billy Gunn said:

Jap short for Japanese, same as calling someone a Scot, nothing racist in that.

it’s not though, it was made derogatory and deemed offensive that term. Everyday's a school day.

2 minutes ago, CR3 said:

👍🏻

61F94338-B5BA-468D-AB8D-B86B31ADA62B.jpeg

B5436229-11CA-45A4-8CE8-C0342B5A26D6.jpeg

Surely there has to be some consideration of the intent behind who spoke the word? Lots of people may shorten Japanese to Jap without any derogatory intention. Some people may or may not consider it racist.

But how different is it to calling someone named Nicolas Nick?

4 minutes ago, Blueshoff said:

Surely there has to be some consideration of the intent behind who spoke the word? Lots of people may shorten Japanese to Jap without any derogatory intention. Some people may or may not consider it racist.

But how different is it to calling someone named Nicolas Nick?

I get that, and I think I actually found this out by using it myself and someone corrected me but that was years ago. Must not be as common knowledge as I thought, was just sharing the fact that it’s been deemed offensive while we would have just used it freely without thinking it was or meaning it to be either.

1 minute ago, psb07158 said:

Received a few PMs from guys on here making reasonable points that this is an important discussion to have. 

In response, I was perhaps a bit hasty in locking the thread. My logic behind locking it is that the thread was beginning to spiral and prominent posters were heading for bans. 

However, I've listened and agree it is important to discuss. So I've unlocked the thread - but please note that 1) any form of racism will not be tolerated on here and 2) the public can access this section, remember that when you post on here you represent Rangers FC, an institution bigger than you - so watch what you post.

“Posters heading for bans”

for  what?  Didn’t see anything ban worthy at all.