Sun running a story about racist chants on a supporters bus upto Dingwall

j1mgg

Said the same thing years ago when it was Nakamura, the whole uproar from the taigs then about how we disrespected his culture and stuff was bullshit

In this day and age that part gets taken over the top, it's no worse than the many jokes you see about a Scottish guy and haggis, an Italian and pizza or Americans with burgers (and as others have said is actually off the mark with the Japanese). 

The pulling of the eyes stuff is where it gets really bad, that's no better than abusing someone for the colour of their skin, its racist & shouldn't be happening. The people involved don't have a leg to stand on with that & expect they'll have some serious ramifications coming their way.

The individuals get punished, not the supporters club. Same way when a fan abuses a player in the stadium its the fan punished with bans, not the club.

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Im kinda torn on this one.

What they have done was stupid and racist, and given the media reaction, they are going to end up banned and might even face losing their jobs etc.

Im not going to absolutely nail them to a wall though...

A decade ago, this would not have been considered really racist, it would have been considered banter, possibly in bad taste, but people were still doing on TV shows and the likes for comedy purposes.

It shows the shift in society and this is a bit of a watershed moment in terms of declaring that this is a completely no go area, and now too offensive.

Racism, like it or not, is a moving scale. Society can dictate what is considered acceptable and what is not. Doing the eye thing has shifted on the scale fairly recently from being border line to being full blown racist.

You cant look at racism as a binary 'Racist / Not Racist' thing. It has levels. What was done on this bus was wrong, but I cant help but feel the guys punishment should end with them getting a ban from football. Them losing jobs or potentially facing criminal action would be too far.

We are also missing a fairly big elephant in the room here. The use of the Hun/Fenian slants that we through at each other in this country are probably not far away from this level of offensiveness. Probably below the squinty eye thing, but above the 'Nakamura ate my dog' stuff.

I have never really used the 'Pape/Tarrier/Fenian' chat on here, as I think it is offensive, but the absolute condemnation of many on here to these lads, especially when they turn a blind eye to the sectarian terms on this site is hypocritical at best.

At the end of the day, the idiots on the bus have shown themselves and our club up. Yes, what they have done and said should be considered racist, but its on a different scale to say doing 'monkey chants' and the likes.

Football banter has always skirted the line of what is socially acceptable and what is not. The social line on this type of chat is moving faster than some idiots can adjust to. 

Doing slitty eyes has been deemed racist for YEARS now. Here's a story from 2008 about it https://www.reuters.com/article/idINIndia-34993420080813

I see Michael Stewart is sticking his oar in and insinuating we wouldn’t treat it as seriously as the Kamara incident. Prick.

Anyhoo, I can’t believe people on here are trying to explain this away as some trifling matter. Another massive own goal allowing the Filth to sit on their high horse and have them painted as the good guys whilst we are the bad yins. This headline will be shown all around the world. But, aye, only a few stupid boys, eh.

Just now, The Dude said:

The slitty eyes stuff is no more 'taking the piss' than calling a black player a monkey is 'taking the piss'

I haven't seen the video but singing about an Asian player eating dogs , while maybe not entirely accurate in this case, is taking the piss. 

1 minute ago, BlueThunder said:

I see Michael Stewart is sticking his oar in and insinuating we wouldn’t treat it as seriously as the Kamara incident. Prick.

Anyhoo, I can’t believe people on here are trying to explain this away as some trifling matter. Another massive own goal allowing the Filth to sit on their high horse and have them painted as the good guys whilst we are the bad yins. This headline will be shown all around the world. But, aye, only a few stupid boys, eh.

There's videos out there that can be posted showing they ambulance chasing bastards in all their glory 

Fuck them. 

3 minutes ago, tm91 said:

No. It made me uncomfortable then, too, probably because I'm mixed race. Things have moved on in the meantime though - it wasn't viewed as unacceptably then, and people can only act according to the morality of their times. There's no excuse in 2021 for it. 

I viewed the Nakamura song as unacceptable then, for a number of reasons. However I should say I did find it funny as well, because it was so egregiously wrong and bone-headed.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

The slitty eyes stuff is no more 'taking the piss' than calling a black player a monkey is 'taking the piss'

Its very different.

You cannot equate the two.

This is from a TV show a few years back. It was deliberately played to show that this was 'mildly racist' and not really acceptable.

If the TV show had had Father Ted calling a black person a monkey, then it would have massively crossed a line and been horrifying.

Like it or not, but there is a social scale of what is acceptable racism and what is not.

The squinty eye thing is no longer acceptable, and yes it is racist. It is however nowhere near comparable to calling a black person a monkey.

Father Ted.PNG

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Its very different.

This is from a TV show a few years back. It was deliberately played to show that this was 'mildly racist' and not really acceptable.

If the TV show had had Father Ted calling a black person a monkey, then it would have massively crossed a line and been horrifying.

Like it or not, but there is a social scale of what is acceptable racism and what is not.

The squinty eye thing is no longer acceptable, and yes it is racist. It is however nowhere near comparable to calling a black person a monkey.

Father Ted.PNG

Father Ted stopped being made almost quarter of a century ago (1998). That isn't a 'few years' by anyones stretch of the imagination.

2 minutes ago, They Gnu said:

I haven't seen the video but singing about an Asian player eating dogs , while maybe not entirely accurate in this case, is taking the piss. 

There's more to the video than just singing about an 'Asian' player eating dogs.

6 minutes ago, BlueThunder said:

Cunts really need to get a grip regarding their behaviour, it's hurting the club.

Just now, superallysbears said:

Cunts really need to get a grip regarding their behaviour, it's hurting the club.

It's the recording that fucked it.

No matter who thinks its right or wrong had it not been posted then not one person other than those on the bus woulda had the chance to be offended cause they wouldn't a known what happened..

Buses are usually chaos 

6 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Its very different.

Father Ted.PNG

FWIW, this was also deemed acceptable on British TV at the time:

image.png.f6b19aea61968e5ce9c0e9d5dceec04b.png