Steven Davis

Essandoh

Been my favourite current player for a while now.  Never hides and is always looking to get involved to drive the team forward and provides superb cover for the defence when they play higher up. The guy has been a stand out servant to Rangers.

His tackles today were superb snuffing things out instantly not even waiting  two or three seconds just straight in there clean as a whistle likewise Kamara .

For me that's how tackling should be when two players are at close quarters in a one on one .

Looking for more of the same in the coming weeks that tackling today was as good as Bassey's performance in similar situations we don't see enough of it from our defenders or midfielders.

Gerrard out 😁

I questioned the man management of him going into this match but I won't do that again after that second half performance. Aribo, Davis and Kamara bossed it from 45-80 minute mark. Turnbull, McGregor and Christie shat it. We won every tackle and played some nice one touch interplay. When Kyogo moved inside it changed the dynamic ever so slightly.

Going to be tough to pick a team in two weeks time.

I thought he was dreadful in the first half, and had a much improved 2nd half. Don’t think he was superb but as a player in his mid 30s winning that tackle in last 5 mins and bursting forward to feed Sakala was great to see. Also his challenge out on touchline minutes afterwards. But I still feel he needs to be moved aside for someone more mobile.
Davis is the senior midfielder in the team. Everything goes thru him, he’s the fulcrum in there. So if he’s not on it we suffer, and sadly I still think he’s now too slow and too cautious in there. It’s why we look pedestrian in there a lot. Also because he’s not exactly box to box anymore, his supporting midfielders I feel don’t push up as much so he’s not over exposed, so that leads to gaps between midfield and attack.

We get away with the slower build up in league generally  and we do move further up as a team as defence can step up more pushing Davis and midfield further up but against celtic and In Europe, we don’t dominate as much or play higher up.  I feel he gets exposed more,  The mid 20’s Davis would be exactly what we need in there now to take us up to the next level.  
He was my favourite player in his 20s and he’s been excellent this past few years for us, and looked after himself superbly but we shouldn’t be relying on a 36 year old in the engine room to pull the strings. Get someone in middle with his balls skills and who is more mobile and physical perhaps and I think we would be more dynamic as a team Let Davis come on after game is won to manage it out. 

2 hours ago, Essandoh said:

90 minutes on Thursday night in the Armenian heat, another 90 under his belt today committing to absolutely every ball.

He is up there with some great British names in terms of the game’s history on these isles. His cap count with Northern Ireland tells you most of the story but his club career performances have been remarkable for nearly his entire career.

I remember being in the Club Deck for his debut against Panathinaikos in the UEFA Cup, when he was on loan from Aston Villa. Time flies.

37 in January and he still has so much to offer.

What a fantastic servant he’s been for Rangers Football Club. 

On loan from Fulham not Aston Villa.