Time to make the entire forum members only.

EatDolphins

3 hours ago, DennyBlueNose said:

Not really fair tbh, I have read Bears Den for about 10 years but don't often get involved. I'm the same on Facebook, fire out a wee like here and there but post very rarely. 

Besides anyone can create and email and account in minutes so don't know what you're trying to achieve. 

You’re already a member do how does this even impact you? 😂

2 hours ago, MisterC said:

This. Advertising revenue is poor as it is and barely covers the cost of the upkeep of the site. If we go down this road, this site is fucked I'm sorry to say.

Tbf what does the site cost to run a year? I wouldnt mind paying a small annual fee to cover running costs. Even £1 a month or something daft. If everybody did that there'd be plenty to keep the lights on.

3 minutes ago, TamCoopz said:

You’re already a member do how does this even impact you? 😂

Pointless imo, once the stuff has been posted in here it's already too late for the lurkers to do anything about it. 

My point was I was a member for ages before I bothered posting, there's plenty of legit bears who don't say much. Canny just block their access. 

14 minutes ago, VERITAS VOS LIBREBETS said:

Maybe members could keep sensitive comments for the 'Off Topic' section? That way any lurkers would not be able to see them.

Tell me what's sensitive and what's not though?

Fuck sake, they are just words, people offended by any of them need to get a fucking grip.

3 hours ago, stevemac said:

Tbf what does the site cost to run a year? I wouldnt mind paying a small annual fee to cover running costs. Even £1 a month or something daft. If everybody did that there'd be plenty to keep the lights on.

Thousands mate, I don't know the exact figure. Badger takes care of that side of things. That would be very kind and generous if there were donations made to the site but it's something a lot of thought needs to go into. It's worth discussing anyway...

5 hours ago, Brian Fantana said:

Admin are a disgrace tbh, will be asking us all for vaccination passports to continue posting no doubt.

Everyone has to agree to some new "Everyone, Anyone" terms and conditions that make Apple product T&C's look like a leaflet.

They're no sewing any cunts lips onto my ring piece ill tell ye right now 

1 hour ago, MisterC said:

Thousands mate, I don't know the exact figure. Badger takes care of that side of things. That would be very kind and generous if there were donations made to the site but it's something a lot of thought needs to go into. It's worth discussing anyway...

Is @Badger the only Admin that actually does anything for the site, apart from banning people? :lol:

15 minutes ago, AlbertzLoyalRSC said:

Is @Badger the only Admin that actually does anything for the site, apart from banning people? :lol:

I have seen some others locking threads just when they are getting fun and removing pictures of boobs.

Basically just being the fun police. Fucking communists if you ask @Willis.

If a ‘journalist’ is happy to spend hours / days of his time trawling through ten years of social media history to find offence, they are not going to be put off paying a nominal monthly fee to set up a lurker account in here, and posting the odd pro-Rangers comment on a regular basis to keep their cover.

The site currently costs about £330 a month to host, I say about as it is US hosted and this fluctuates each month. Why does it cost so much? The site can peak during a game at over 1000 online at the same time. Typically busy times are when big things happen. Cheap hosting = crashed website.

The site on a good month (which typically means something bad happens, bad news for rangers = good news for RM finances) generates about £450 in ad revenue, on a bad month it's as low as £200 - typically it's about equal to the cost of hosting - the site cost more to host in 2019 than it generated, although covid seen last year ok. Of that revenue about 90% is generated by guest traffic.

The site peaked in 2012, a year when we donated over £6k to charity..... but the internets changed a lot since then.

9 minutes ago, Badger said:

Very little. The guys who generate 75% of the content on here, probably generate less than 1% of the income - although.... them generating content, causes people to read

These numbers are for context, I can't actually access this data to put an exact number on it, but can see enough information to know those who visit all the time proportionally generate a tiny fraction directly.

Guest traffic is - by far - the biggest revenue generator.

To be honest I keep the site going out of sentiment - I owe RM a lot for the paths the site has taken me. However, I live too busy a life to even follow Rangers properly, let alone give a website my full attention.

Technically, I am pretty antiquated too and dont even own a smart phone anymore, and still use a laptop I got over a decade ago.

Serious question, what's the contingency plan if you die? Obviously I'd be gutted beyond words, but the site has to go on!

5 minutes ago, Monkey Butler said:

Serious question, what's the contingency plan if you die? Obviously I'd be gutted beyond words, but the site has to go on!

Tbh I'm alive and cant remember half of it. I've used the same password for years, just now it has a host of special characters and numbers bookended onto it.

Somebody will work it out.