Helander - Injury

AGC123

2 hours ago, SPWF said:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/08/04/Rangers-boss-steven-gerrard-praises-nikola-katic/%3famp

“He told STV: “Love him, love him. I absolutely love him”

To say he’s never rated him is nonsense tbh. 

He lavished praise on mccrorie after an old firm win, then proceeded to drop him for god knows how long

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

It took me a while to warm to Helander but I have and he's generally safe and solid, nothing flashy. I hope it's not serious, but fear he knew right away it is.

But I think today illustrated the importance in Goldson, the dominant organising CH who allows Helander to focus on his own game. Goldson missing, Balogun was average, Helander was poor today.

Our strongest pairing is undoubtedly CG and FH, so going into the Lyon game with Balogun and Simpson is a cuntish bad luck.

I do agree with this generally speaking, and there's reason Goldson is the mainstay, but I doubt the game would have panned out much differently had he been available. With their style, most CBs will have an uncomfortable game against St Johnstone.

6 minutes ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

I would say he was unlucky if it was a one off today, it wasn't he was routinely gone past by Ohalloran time and time again. 

That scum bastard is possibly the fastest player in the league. Would Goldson have dealt with him better. Where was Balogun? Helander is our best CB. Let’s get rid of him eh? 

19 minutes ago, AGM_72 said:

I do agree with this generally speaking, and there's reason Goldson is the mainstay, but I doubt the game would have panned out much differently had he been available. With their style, most CBs will have an uncomfortable game against St Johnstone.

We won, so some will just move on, and I agree it's the most important thing, so fair enough. But a poor performance shouldn't be ignored.

For some, Goldson can do little right, and there's been loads of calls for him to be dropped as apparently he wouldn't be missed.

Well today he was out, neither CH really stepped up, he undoubtedly was missed, and tbh we were a wonder strike from probably dropping 2 points.

I doubt they result would have been different too, but imo we're far more comfortable with CG plus one.

6 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

That scum bastard is possibly the fastest player in the league. Would Goldson have dealt with him better. Where was Balogun? Helander is our best CB. Let’s get rid of him eh? 

He didn't belt past him though. It was a poor bit of defending, MOH made the most of it, great strike. It wasn't the only time FH struggled, there were a good few.

2 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

He didn't belt past him though. It was a poor bit of defending, MOH made the most of it, great strike. It wasn't the only time FH struggled, there were a good few.

Not disagreeing with you mate, but the goal came from Baloguns side. I would also add, if we were pressing more from the front/midfield this wouldn’t have happened. 70-80% possession and we fucked up by giving them 1 shot on goal. 
 Frustrating as fuck tbh. 

9 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

We won, so some will just move on, and I agree it's the most important thing, so fair enough. But a poor performance shouldn't be ignored.

For some, Goldson can do little right, and there's been loads of calls for him to be dropped as apparently he wouldn't be missed.

Well today he was out, neither CH really stepped up, he undoubtedly was missed, and tbh we were a wonder strike from probably dropping 2 points.

I doubt they result would have been different too, but imo we're far more comfortable with CG plus one.

Aye mate, personally I don't agree with the majority of the Goldson receives. 

19 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

No trying to excuse Helander - made a cunt of it - but Balogun in no mans land then watch his attempt to get back 

17 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Not disagreeing with you mate, but the goal came from Baloguns side. I would also add, if we were pressing more from the front/midfield this wouldn’t have happened. 70-80% possession and we fucked up by giving them 1 shot on goal. 
 Frustrating as fuck tbh. 

He was Helanders man. Plenty opportunity to deal with it. A rare mistake, but its on him 100%.

3 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

He was Helanders man. Plenty opportunity to deal with it. A rare mistake, but its on him 100%.

His reading of the game usually makes up for his slight lack of pace. One of the preseason games, (can't mind which one he played) Real Madrid maybe, he looked half a yard faster. 

Since though, he's looked like he's carrying a slight knock, but is being played sporadically. Our best defender on his day/in form. 

Lyon are not going to sit in. They will have a right good go. If Goldson and Helander make it I would be much more confident of a win.

If one or both don't make it then we are hoping that other members of the squad stand up to be counted as Balogun recently did against scum.

4 hours ago, Hadron Collider said:

He was brilliant against Spain. 

Yeah but seemed to pick up an injury against them (or in training after) and wasn’t expected to make the Ukraine game but he did, he was apparently shite and at fault for at least 1 of the goals.

59 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

The dropping of two points wouldn't have been due to the defence, they conceded 1 shot on target today, once again it is our lack of ideas up front thats costing us, 11 shots with 4 on target is pish, especially when one of them is a penalty 

21 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The dropping of two points wouldn't have been due to the defence, they conceded 1 shot on target today, once again it is our lack of ideas up front thats costing us, 11 shots with 4 on target is pish, especially when one of them is a penalty 

Yep. Limited creativity = limited real scoring chances. 
Hope to fuck Bacuna has something about him

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

If defenders lose shitty goals then by all means rightly criticise others, but its on the defenders. Their job, for our CHs, their key role, is to stop goals against.

If anything Morelos and Roofe had minimal service so if anything it would be the creators - Kent, Aribo, full backs to criticise.

1 hour ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

If defenders lose shitty goals then by all means rightly criticise others, but its on the defenders. Their job, for our CHs, their key role, is to stop goals against.

If anything Morelos and Roofe had minimal service so if anything it would be the creators - Kent, Aribo, full backs to criticise.

Im kinda stuck between blaming the players and blaming the kinda one dimensional system, our system should be more flexible but for some reason it isnt, 

4 hours ago, Hadron Collider said:

Totally agree. Sometimes there’s just one player on a particular day who manages to manipulate your weaknesses or you can’t quite manage to overcome your weaknesses against. 

O’Halloran is pish but with phenomenal speed and he had a good day today. Helander’s usual strength in positioning and reading of the game just wasn’t quite at it today.

Folk need to remember everyone has an “off day” or at least makes some mistakes. When you’ve played the game at any level yourself you can appreciate these things more.

16 hours ago, Hadron Collider said:

Bit of an over reaction never once said we should get rid, for what its worth I think he is the best CB at the club but your deluding yourself if you didn't think he had a mare yesterday, even Simpson looked more solid when he came on which tbf wasn't hard to do. 

15 minutes ago, SuperLeeMcCulloch said:

Bit of an over reaction never once said we should get rid, for what its worth I think he is the best CB at the club but your deluding yourself if you didn't think he had a mare yesterday, even Simpson looked more solid when he came on which tbf wasn't hard to do. 

You’re deluded if you think no team should score against us. “These Things Happen”. 😉