Morelos

MacBoyd

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Not particularly no. A goal in the Premiership is just as important as a goal in the Europa League.

Given he scored two goals fewer than Roofe last season in the league, he's nowhere near as far off it as some want to suggest.

Roofe played 5 games less in the league though, 

Just now, The Dude said:

Not particularly no. A goal in the Premiership is just as important as a goal in the Europa League.

Given he scored two goals fewer than Roofe last season in the league, he's nowhere near as far off it as some want to suggest.

How can you say the league is the priority and has been for your 35 years, and then in the next sentence says it’s ‘not particularly’ more important than a goal in another competition. You’re tying yourself in knots.

This isn’t the Roofe thread, and I don’t have his goals to minutes ratio, but I’d guess it’s better than Morelos since he joined the club. That doesn’t mean I think Roofe is better or is doing enough either. 

2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

How can you say the league is the priority and has been for your 35 years, and then in the next sentence says it’s ‘not particularly’ more important than a goal in another competition. You’re tying yourself in knots.

This isn’t the Roofe thread, and I don’t have his goals to minutes ratio, but I’d guess it’s better than Morelos since he joined the club. That doesn’t mean I think Roofe is better or is doing enough either. 

Because they all feed into each other. Shite results in Europe (and the lack of finance that comes with it) = a big drop in £. A big drop in £ = a big drop in quality of players. A big drop in quality of players = no title challenge.

36 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Probably but Andy Firth latest deal, signing Flanagan and Defoe's new contract do him few favours in that regard (as well as one or two others).

Its one area I've never been totally convinced by under Gerrard. Our signings are VERY hit and miss under him. For every Goldson theres a Jon Flanagan and an Eros Grezda.

Is tht not the same with most managers/teams? I don't always think its the managers fault when a player doesn't perform!

Look at Salah when he went to Chelsea he woulda been seen as a poor signing!

Look at him now? Is that the Chelsea manager making a bad signing? Or is tht Salah under performing?

1 minute ago, Nk89 said:

Is tht not the same with most managers/teams? I don't always think its the managers fault when a player doesn't perform!

Look at him now? Is that the Chelsea manager making a bad signing? Or is tht Salah under performing?

Can you help me understand who you’re comparing to Salah here? Is it Flanagan or Grezda? I will accept either answer from you 

Just now, The Dude said:

So were both not scoring enough last season? is 14 goals in 29 that much worse than 12 in 34?

0.48 per game, vs 0.35 per game is a pretty significant drop off (more than 25%).

I’d like to see more out of them both to be honest. Roofe is just about 1 in 2, while Morleos is around 1 in 3. 

Last season was fine because others were contributing, when they’re not you really need you strikers to come up with the goods. 

1 minute ago, Nk89 said:

If it was only one or two abject failures and a host of roaring successes, it would be fairer to place the blame just at the players. Without looking at the full list, I'm not sure we're even hitting a 50% success rate.

1 minute ago, graeme_4 said:

0.48 per game, vs 0.35 per game is a pretty significant drop off (more than 25%).

I’d like to see more out of them both to be honest. Roofe is just about 1 in 2, while Morleos is around 1 in 3. 

Last season was fine because others were contributing, when they’re not you really need you strikers to come up with the goods. 

So how many should they be scoring each season?

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Mate, I can give you some email addresses for people at Ibrox if you want to share this ground-breaking analysis.  He's scored five in fifteen and created a couple more. Its working more than you give him credit for.

You're not getting it brother.  I shall leave you festering.

17 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Roofe started 13 games, Morelos started 22 and Roofe still outscored him from largely playing in a wider role.

People can defend Morelos but I don't believe for a second that on a minute by minute basis that he was better than Roofe last season, not even close.

Edit: league stats btw

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

Can you help me understand who you’re comparing to Salah here? Is it Flanagan or Grezda? I will accept either answer from you 

None of them, just making the point that because a player performs poorly , that surely doesn't mean it was the wrong signing?

3 minutes ago, Nk89 said:

The issue for me is that we’ve signed numerous wingers/midfielders and tried to turn them in to this inverted ten that we play instead of actually bringing in players who can play that position.

Just now, Ted E Bayer said:

You're not getting it brother.  I shall leave you festering.

You're right I'm not getting it. Morelos is in a bad run of form. It happens to every player who ever plays the game. There's not a player at the club who hasn't had a similar run in their career and even the manager and his sidekick had spells in their own playing career when they were pretty fucking woeful. That doesn't mean he's suddenly forgotten how to do basic things and needs some fucking youtube video to show him how to strike a ball :lol:

2 minutes ago, Nk89 said:

None of them, just making the point that because a player performs poorly , that surely doesn't mean it was the wrong signing?

They were definitely both the wrong signings. They were both utter utter pish and both scumbags into the mix aswell 

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Already said 20-25 is the benchmark for a Rangers striker that starts every week. 

https://www.myfootballfacts.com/world-football/scottish-football/scottish_premier_league_top_goalscorers/

So in his four seasons at the club, you think Morelos has failed to hit the level required in every one of them?