Morelos

MacBoyd

Don’t think the Morelos and Roofe up front works. 
Morelos had a good first half last night although should have scored with the header although we got the goal from it. Second half he was back to his Hearts performance. He plays better with players with pace in the side and on his own as front man.
Sakala came on for Alfie and missed a couple of really good chances.
Apart from his goal Roofe couldn’t get into the game.I think Roofe looked better with Itten when we played with that at the start of last season. Roofe will get goals and is a natural finisher like Defoe but you have to create chances for him.

We have a striking problem just now and if Itten is on his way out we need to sign a big man up front to give us an alternative approach to change things up when needed.

3 hours ago, gmcf said:

An interesting conundrum . 

Mark Hateley is probably my favourite Rangers forward in my time with the way he could rag doll defences about , assist others , like McCoist , and his general effort around the park . On the other hand we have natural goalscorers like McCoist and Boyd who provide the all important goals.  

Who's the most important , I truly don't know . But one does rely on the other . 

Depends what kind of game you are in. I was a bit on the younger side when Boyd was peak, (certainly not going to games anyway) but if you were playing against league dross then you would 100% back Boyd but in a tough game against far better opposition you wouldn't.

I just wish Gerrard would let alfie go back to playing the way he used to. and maybe let him take some penalties to build his confidence back up. Saying 5 in 15 isnt good enough is hardly fair when you let your right back take all the penalties.

20 minutes ago, stevemac said:

Depends what kind of game you are in. I was a bit on the younger side when Boyd was peak, (certainly not going to games anyway) but if you were playing against league dross then you would 100% back Boyd but in a tough game against far better opposition you wouldn't.

I just wish Gerrard would let alfie go back to playing the way he used to. and maybe let him take some penalties to build his confidence back up. Saying 5 in 15 isnt good enough is hardly fair when you let your right back take all the penalties.

Do you trust morelos with a penalty, if yes missing open goals from 6 yards then 12 yards out isnt a cert for him, could make his confidence worse, 

1 hour ago, SIRB_72 said:

Alfie does enough during the game to worry the opposition enough that it gives Roofe space and one on ones were his anticipation gets us goals. 

This for me all day. Even when Alfie is not scoring, he is a big enough threat to pull defenders out of position to mark him, creating space for others. This is massively important in games where the opposition park the bus.

I have to say the standards are way down if you thought Morelos  played particularly well I thought he gave the ball away a lot passed it to them a few times then straight out the park he also had the touch of a rapist.

His one good moment was the shot the goalie saved which was more like it.

Just now, Smile said:

I have to say the standards are way down if you thought Morelos  played particularly well I thought he gave the ball away a lot passed it to them a few times then straight out the park he also had the touch of a rapist.

Was that the one that hit the post 

10 minutes ago, Smile said:

Morelos' stats have him losing possession four times - Roofe and Tavernier lost possession six times, Aribo lost it seven times. He had more successful dribbles than anyone not called Joe Aribo, two key passes (only Tav had more) and made more blocks than any Rangers player on the pitch.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Morelos' stats have him losing possession four times - Roofe and Tavernier lost possession six times, Aribo lost it seven times. He had more successful dribbles than anyone not called Joe Aribo, two key passes (only Tav had more) and made more blocks than any Rangers player on the pitch.

You could take into account they had the ball more. Aribo was MOTM Morelos had a poor game watching the game told me that anyone saying different are just kidding themselves on.

5 minutes ago, Smile said:

You could take into account they had the ball more. Aribo was MOTM Morelos had a poor game watching the game told me that anyone saying different are just kidding themselves on.

Better tell Gerrard then 

2 minutes ago, Smile said:

Who had the ball more? Roofe? Morelos had 2.6% of our overall possession, Roofe 1.6%. Morelos also had 20 more touches.

Not sure which game you watched last night tbh but not sure it was Rangers v Brondby.

27 minutes ago, Smile said:

:belm:

9 hours ago, bluenoz said:

I thought he was outstanding in the first half. I disagree with Gerrard's reaction in the second half because of a few loose passes. That's what you will always get with Morelos. Roofe can do fuck all the entire match but score a tap-in and receive the accolades. Morelos is by far the better player.

Roofe's more likely to get you a goal. 22 goals in 68 games for Alfie since 2020. A pathetic return. 

31 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Lies, damn lies and statistics. About 4 of Aribo's losses of possession were trying to salvage howf's from defence or dreadful, wayward passes.

14 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Outstanding is not the correct term.

I do believe there's something in the part about Roofe tbh, Roofe seems to get let off far more compared to Morelos with his overall performances. Last night he was woeful, again.

Morelos form this season without question deservers to be criticised, but some of the things said about him are hilarious and way OTT by the same posters.

Actually thought Roofes hold up play was terrible last night, got the goal but he wasn't on top of his game.

4 minutes ago, superallysbears said:

Actually thought Roofes hold up play was terrible last night, got the goal but he wasn't on top of his game.

Thought that Roofe and Morelos (and Also Tav to an extend) weren’t very good last night. 

Morelos had a better first half, but was honking in the second 45. Roofe did nothing apart from the goal and an occasional good bit of pressing. 

Few players looked to be under a bit of pressure to deliver last night, and a fair number didn’t really. 

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Thought that Roofe and Morelos (and Also Tav to an extend) weren’t very good last night. 

Morelos had a better first half, but was honking in the second 45. Roofe did nothing apart from the goal and an occasional good bit of pressing. 

Few players looked to be under a bit of pressure to deliver last night, and a fair number didn’t really. 

Nothing stuck to Roofe and he didn’t have a great night but he’s always in there nicking chances. Morelos just continues to be an issue. His use of the ball outside the box has improved but his goals just aren’t there. 
He’s at his best when he doesn’t have a lot of time to think. We need Kent back and Morelos in the box more ( and lose a couple of pounds). Lot being said about the atmosphere but we are hardly playing the kind of football to get people on their feet. 
Signs are better though. Six points a must in the next week 

3 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Seems I'm the only one who thought Tav had a decent game last night, thought he looked more like his old self and definitely his best game for a while 

4 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

Seems I'm the only one who thought Tav had a decent game last night, thought he looked more like his old self and definitely his best game for a while 

Funny how we all see it differently. I thought the opposite. 

Thought he was slugging, barely put a foot in against his winger and had Goldson all over the shop trying to cover him. Body language was also weird. Very quiet and shoulders slumped. Looked like he wasn’t feeling it. 

Great corner for the goal though, and an excellent GIRFUY moment for him.