*****The Official Champions vs Olympique Lyonnais Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

4 minutes ago, Scottywellhousetb said:

Kent has been a fucking embarrassment since whenever :lol:

Would punt him in the summer & possibly another and start refreshing things with some new quality. It’s all gone a bit stale imo.

Right now we just seem to be a bit off in every aspect of our game. Covid, injuries, suspensions, lack of form, inability to play a settled team have all played their part. We're just a bit off it. Pretty confident we'll click soon enough though and we'll need to.

Lyon are good but I think we have played better teams over the past few years. It's all about moments though. They took their chances. We didn't. Don't think there was too much in it. 

I think we can be a bit more aggressive and offensive at times. I think we seem to be too respectful at times. We definitely need to move it faster, stop playing the safe, easy pass. We are a good team. Sometimes we don't start until we go behind which just gives us a mountain to climb.

Still a long way to go in this group.

1 minute ago, jjbscotty12 said:

Lundstram was our best centre mid tonight.

And by some distance as well. Tonight was as poor a performance as I can remember from both Davis and Kamara. Gerrard has gambled on Jack being fit and available and it's been to the detriment of properly strengthening the midfield. We'll pay the price for it at this level. 

4 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Shades of playing the racists this game. Diving, conning cunts. Ref is a twat!  

Some of the free kicks awarded were embarrassing to be honest, really hope that performances like this end up in demotion.

Wouldnt have helped us necessarily but the standard really needs to be better, just encourages cheating.

Just now, tm91 said:

Lyon are definitely at that level of quality we've always struggled against - just one step above where we are, like Slavia and Leverkusen - but we were also being far too cautious on and off the ball - no bravery in possession and our pressing wasn't there - we look laboured, disjointed and sluggish. Compare that performance with the two against Benfica, who are of a comparable quality to Lyon, and it's night and day. 

There's no shame in losing to a side like Lyon but I don't think it's as simple as them making us look poor. We just don't look like anything is clicking at all right now.

But we put up far better efforts against that class of team previously:, Benfica, Porto, Villarreal.

We don't look like we even believe we can compete now.

1 minute ago, Bristol loyal said:

I’m not too worried about the fact we lost to Lyon. They’re a very good team worth more than we could ever compete with and we always knew they would be our hardest game of the group.

My worry is we can’t allow this slow, uninspiring play and lapses of concentration to become regular this season. We’ve not been at our best so far and need to turn it up a notch or two, do that and we’ll be fine for most games this season.

We are very slow this season. Hospital passes and poor decisions in midfield are not helping matters. Last season we were so fluid going forward with good against galatasaray beneficial Antwerp etc.. 

7 minutes ago, Negri's lovechild said:

Absolutely.

Europe has been important, and is a good little cash builder, but the league and automatic Champions League entry is imperative and must be the primary focus.

We also need to start upping our levels and get somewhat near where we were last season. 

Champions league???

Cam you imagine the doins we'd be getting???

16 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I actually don't think we have played that bad.

They are a good team and scored one world class finish and got a lucky goal.

Other than that it's been pretty even.

Bunch of cheating cunts too.

i think the problem we have is we have not bought players who are good enough to replace players who are struggling  lundstrum is too slow  wright will never make a player  whoever thought sakala was any good baffles me he has pace and no brain

Just now, Valance1690 said:

Definitely didn't have his best game but was miles away from our worst player

1st name in the midfield at the weekend again & it's not even close.

Haha you are kiddin right? Sorry but Kamara is a much better player than Davis. Davis has had his time and should be nowhere near the first 11, his contract should never have been extended. He is well past his best and if you cant see that then i dont know what to tell you. Its time for us to move on and replace him. We should have made it a priority to tie down Kamara on a long term deal and build our midfield around him.

Oh aye, forgot to mention the embarrassment that, at this point, we STILL aren't playing these diving cunts at their own game. It's Europe and you know they're throwing themselves down all over the shop but we still fall for it. Shows a real lack of intelligence among our players.