*****The Official Champions vs Olympique Lyonnais Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

Just now, Swagger said:

The first goal was down to Kent. Awful 

Still don't get that. Can understand if he lost the ball on his own 18 yards box but he looses it 50 yards out and we're still in an ok position to defend that. The boy runs 20 yards and hits a worldy. Hard to say he threw a goal away.

1 minute ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Worrying that we're halfway through September and arguably haven't kicked a ball yet. 

Seems as though most of the squad are still suffering from a hangover from last season. 

This continues it's going to bite us on the arse domestically. 

Yeah , I agree with this .  We haven't found our rhythm yet and its something we need sorted quickly . 

Tonight we were up against a quality team , but outwith that , we've pretty average at best . 

4 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Dunno where people are getting the Lyon are a great outfit from. They’re bang average and so are we. (Agreed)

Difference is they have a sprinkle of quality in the middle of the park and pass the ball so much quicker. (Agreed)

We’re slow and boring to watch and let every team we play get back into position. It’s tedious stuff.(Agreed)

Lundstrum was our best midfielder, Kent miles off it, wingbacks were so poor.(Disagree, Lundstrum is slow and clumbsy, he is Livingston standard)

Roofe was our best player and he was on for 10 minutes. we’ve got a lot of work to do in this season it’s going to be a slog(Agreed although Morelos was trying throughout the match)

3 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Never said he was definitely shite. Just wondering why you put high hopes on a player like that?

Just a feeling, like when we signed Aluko, Kamara, Mols. Guys that came from small teams and did well for us. I have some faith in our scouting and coaching staff. 

Just now, Malkytfp1 said:

Still don't get that. Can understand if he lost the ball on his own 18 yards box but he looses it 50 yards out and we're still in an ok position to defend that. The boy runs 20 yards and hits a worldy. Hard to say he threw a goal away.

He done exactly that for the second though. Right in front of me in our own box I knew as soon as the ball broke he was going for that ridiculous pirouette he never manages to pull off, loses the ball and ends up a goal. We were on top at that point and everything. 

Also again weakness from Gerrard, why has he had a go at Lundstrum for the first? The guy was ok tonight and has had a torrid start to his career, keep it in house ffs. You’d never ever see him criticising Kent, Goldson or Aribo for similar. 

Hope he hung Kent out to dry for the second, after all he lost the ball in the most ridiculous fashion but doubt it

Just now, Rangers_no1 said:

True but Porto made the last 8 last season, beaten narrowly by Chelsea and we took 4 points off them.

Lyon are a good team, level with Benfica and Porto who we performed well against.

People are making them out to be better than that imo.

Leverkusen are by far and away the best team we’ve played in Europe under Gerrard. 

Slavia second and then Lyon, Porto, Benfica and maybe Feyenoord fighting it out for 3rd. 

Lyon have been miles overrated by our management and fans tonight, average team with a sprinkle of quality in the middle of the park. Nothing special at all

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

True but Porto made the last 8 last season, beaten narrowly by Chelsea and we took 4 points off them.

Lyon are a good team, level with Benfica and Porto who we performed well against.

People are making them out to be better than that imo.

Nah not disagreeing with any of that.

Just highlighting the decent pedigree they have.

33 minutes ago, Smell the hotdog said:

Midfield to front they’re miles ahead hence the training game vibe.

French and Brazilian national team players to be fair and that Ekambi was class again.

Definetely. Nae shame in losing. Winnable ties in the other games and the league is the priority above all else anyway. 

Just now, BridgeIsBlue said:

Lundstram was utter mince again, honestly don't see what game cunts were watching the night. 

I thought he looked better when Davis went off.

The two of them want to play in the same area of the pitch and Davis has made that position his own (although not tonight).

10 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Also again weakness from Gerrard, why has he had a go at Lundstrum for the first? The guy was ok tonight and has had a torrid start to his career, keep it in house ffs. You’d never ever see him criticising Kent, Goldson or Aribo for similar. 

Hope he hung Kent out to dry for the second, after all he lost the ball in the most ridiculous fashion but doubt it

Aye, I doubt it myself. That's fucking pish from him if he's done that. Bizarre to publicly blame him for the first but keep him on for the full 90 anyway. 

His golden boys are the first he should be looking to stick the boot into. 

I honestly think the poisonous commentary for folk watching the game made it 100x worse than it actually was.

We have had some absolute thumpings in Europe over the years, but that was not tongiht.

It was a close game that they got some lucky breaks in and took advantage of to get out of sight.

If we had got a couple of breaks and had a two goal lead, I think we could have weathered whatever storm they through at us with minimal fuss.

They were better than us, but was not a slaughter.

Just now, mitre_mouldmaster said:

I honestly think the poisonous commentary for folk watching the game made it 100x worse than it actually was.

We have had some absolute thumpings in Europe over the years, but that was not tongiht.

It was a close game that they got some lucky breaks in and took advantage of to get out of sight.

If we had got a couple of breaks and had a two goal lead, I think we could have weathered whatever storm they through at us with minimal fuss.

They were better than us, but was not a slaughter.

This!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!