*****The Official Champions vs Olympique Lyonnais Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

Just now, McEwan's Lager said:

This for me.

He is comfortable playing backwards five yard passes and he's too sloppy even doing that sometimes.

He has to be braver and have more quality to make it here.

The whole midfield and forward line need to be braver and actually attempt pass the open teams up. All we do is pass back or to the wing once we get within 10 yards of their box. 

8 minutes ago, Bad Robot said:

B97C72D8-557C-4A42-8397-4C7E820D806D.jpeg

Is that not basically the same thing as last year? Its just that the group winners actually skip the round of the last 32?

Think last year it went Group Stage > 32 > Last 16. This year its Groups Stage > 2nd Plays CL Drop Out > Last 16.

Disappointing 2nd half as we never really laid a glove on them, but realistically Lyon are better than us, plain and simple, they have international players from the top nations in football where our internationals are from middle of the road countries

We certainly aren't anywhere near last seasons levels but Gerrard needs to find a solution to making us more forward thinking, Sakala is getting abused but what are people expecting when he hasn't even played back to back 90mins, if he is going to be a bit part player then realistically he will struggle the same as Itten did last season, Kent getting injured maybe force him into thinking differently....we need something different if I'm being honest 

After sitting through that disgraceful performance against an average side who were barely tested due to the ineptitude in every area of that park tonight .

The manager and players should rightly get stuck for that garbage because after 10 mins in they were easily beaten due to not even making basic passes going forward .

Even then that midfield is scared to committ itself or find a way through a team sitting in knowing all they have to do is pounce on piss poor effort after effort.

No desire to change it from the management you could have replaced any one of that midfield three that's even before we get to the pathetic wing play or lack of it no runners continually playing crap passes into a player with two defenders around him .

It's Fucking embarrassing watching that level of performance but hey let's go .

So we can plummet even further into the pit they continually dig themselves into .

I don't see any Improvement in even the basics it's ridiculous what that management are allowing to fall by the wayside in terms of standards.

Not good enough.

15 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Gerrard can pin this on his shirt tonight then....

Tin pot stuff.

Others were bad tonight but have performed far better previously. 

He hasn't performed. At all.

aqua-funny-Not-the-worst-award-ribbon_1024x1024.jpg

So, in your book, the others that played worse are excused tonight because they’ve played better before? 🤦‍♂️

5 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

Don't agree with this at all. Kamara and Davis are very good at what they do but very safety conscious. Lundstram's at least receives the ball and looks to play a forward pass. He is being made a convenient  scapegoat and not getting a chance. He's improved with every performance.

He wasn’t great, but certainly improved when Davis went off. 

4 minutes ago, The Hammer 11 said:

Full team needs a shake up, no idea why hagi and roof never started. Bassey shouldn’t have been dropped after his OF performance either 

You have said this with such confidence that im actually doubting what I feel like I should say here...

5 minutes ago, goaaaal said:

After sitting through that disgraceful performance against an average side who were barely tested due to the ineptitude in every area of that park tonight .

The manager and players should rightly get stuck for that garbage because after 10 mins in they were easily beaten due to not even making basic passes going forward .

Even then that midfield is scared to committ itself or find a way through a team sitting in knowing all they have to do is pounce on piss poor effort after effort.

No desire to change it from the management you could have replaced any one of that midfield three that's even before we get to the pathetic wing play or lack of it no runners continually playing crap passes into a player with two defenders around him .

It's Fucking embarrassing watching that level of performance but hey let's go .

So we can plummet even further into the pit they continually dig themselves into .

I don't see any Improvement in even the basics it's ridiculous what that management are allowing to fall by the wayside in terms of standards.

Not good enough.

This nonsense needs to stop. If they're an average side then we're a poor side because they're clearly a class above us.

18 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

You are right, he wasn't the worst. Kamara & Davis were worse tonight but Lundstram is going to hamstring this team because Gerrard is going to keep playing him. He is slow and can't turn. I blame Lundstram for the first goal.

Kamara probably had the worst game I’ve seen from him and Davis was well below par but according to some absolute nuggets on here, they’re excused ‘cos they’ve played better before !!!

I don’t think Lundstram is cut out for us, and with hindsight, was a bad signing BUT he was the best of the three tonight.

1 minute ago, esquire8 said:

Not excused at all but he shouldn't get any sort of praise for being the least shit out of the 3.

Who the fuck was praising him - ffs

He wasn’t the feckin worst - better than Davis & Kamara tonight but got no support from them.

What Ive seen of him, I don’t particularly rate Lundstram, but still better than the other two, but hey ho, they’ve played better before 😂

2 minutes ago, SkylineBlue said:

This nonsense needs to stop. If they're an average side then we're a poor side because they're clearly a class above us.

They were average more so because we were embarrassing in allowing them to sit in and capitalise on continual errors .

Which makes that Rangers team average because they can't even string two passes together or actually take a player on to keep a move flowing or move into a space for a one/two .

Changes should have been made earlier in the second half but it was the dismal shitshow we watched in the first half .

If they had come out after the break with an intent it would have turned the game but the same crap was dished out it didn't even look as if they got a half time rollicking .

I'd give credit where it's due to that Lyon mob but amidst the pathetic Rangers display that mob spent more time on the deck getting fouls from a weak trio of officials only topped by the gutless showing of Rangers.

Seen people tonight describing Lyon as an average side. I don’t think they got out of second gear and in my opinion would win our league by a fair margin. They’re better than average and it’s no disgrace to be beaten by them. That said, we are not at the levels we were last season when I think we’d have given them a better game. I’m not too despondent though, I think we’ll get out of the group as our battles will be with the other 2 teams. We’ll hit decent form at some point in the league and I think we’ll have enough to win it. It won’t be the skoosh it was last season though.