*****The Official Champions vs Olympique Lyonnais Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

8 minutes ago, MacBoyd said:

Need to sort out that line in follow follow. Song just dies at it now. Never heard anyone sing the line from the tannoy but alot sing Aberdeen and back again. Need to try and stick to one.

Definitely the biggest concern from last night imo.

37 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Think we’re probably back to the days where the fans see the Europa as secondary, a given that we’re always going to be there now. 

The atmosphere last night 4 mins before kick off was just people talking to each other. 

First europa league proper game under Gerrard that there wasn’t a pre match display of some sort I think 

Just now, cr3_bear said:

First europa league proper game under Gerrard that there wasn’t a pre match display of some sort I think 

It’s just not that exciting.

Become run of the mill really. Minimum expectation. We were all prepped for the Champions League this season, and now we’re in the diddy one because we shat the bed. 

5 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

All the folk moaning about Kent will realise how much we depend on him if this injury keeps him out more than a few weeks....

He's been a totally different player this season to previous seasons, even when he wasn't particularly on his games in previous seasons he was still able to have moments, sparks that lifted the game etc. 

I hope his injury isn't anything that keeps him out, but I think he needs dropped, or something done to change whatever's causing this dip? Confidence/Fitness, whatever it is.

Gerrard needs him to find his feet as he offers something that very few do and on his game is the difference. 

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Become run of the mill really. Minimum expectation. We were all prepped for the Champions League this season, and now we’re in the diddy one because we shat the bed. 

Probably some form of truth to that. I think we kind of know we’ve peaked in the EL barring a miracle in the draw to get to a semi or final. I think everyone, management and players included wanted that test in the CL and it’s resulted in a bit of a meh EL campaign so far

There is a worrying small trend happening with us after half time that extends up until the 60 minute mark. 

We seem to be conceding goals regularly just after half time. Malmo scored 4 goals in two games against us between 45-60. St Johnstone scored just after half time on Saturday, Lyon last night and Dundee Utd scored just after the hour mark.

We've conceded 9 goals in 11 games, 6 have come between the 45-60 minute mark and 1 was on the 64th minute (Dundee Utd). In fact the only exception was the Ross County game.

Just a weird thing in our game just now and I find it strange because we've typically been quite strong after half time under Gerrard.

11 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

All the folk moaning about Kent will realise how much we depend on him if this injury keeps him out more than a few weeks....

I’m not so sure. He’ll be a big miss but it’s getting to the point where his form is that bad he’s unable to complete forward passes and teams are now just swarming him when he gets the ball. A front 3 of Roofe Morelos Wright or Sakala might see us get some 1 on 1s or individual marking which may free up space for others. 

1 minute ago, SIRB_72 said:

There is a worrying small trend happening with us after half time that extends up until the 60 minute mark. 

We seem to be conceding goals regularly just after half time. Malmo scored 4 goals in two games against us between 45-60. St Johnstone scored just after half time on Saturday, Lyon last night and Dundee Utd scored just after the hour mark.

We've conceded 9 goals in 11 games, 6 have come between the 45-60 minute mark and 1 was on the 64th minute (Dundee Utd). In fact the only exception was the Ross County game.

Just a weird thing in our game just now and I think find it strange because we've typically been quite strong after half time under Gerrard.

It’s us that usually come flying out the blocks after half time regardless of how the first half went to either kill games off or get back into them. 

Tbf it felt like we were on top after HT until they scored an absolute horror show of a goal from our defence and that just killed it

I thought that Kamara wasn’t his usual sharp self last night, rushed passes when he is normally so calm.

And although I’ve been a real critic, I thought Lundstram did all right, especially when he took over from Davis as the hub of the team. Was a new experience for him and he’ll learn from it.

I thought their pressing was brilliant and really well organised, hunting in packs but also in short bursts to maximise energy. We would do well to watch and learn. We’re not bad at it but these guys were very effective.

And how much do we miss Ryan Jack?

3 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

It’s us that usually come flying out the blocks after half time regardless of how the first half went to either kill games off or get back into them. 

Tbf it felt like we were on top after HT until they scored an absolute horror show of a goal from our defence and that just killed it

That's what is slightly worrying. I can recall a few games from last season when we either got ourselves in front or we basically finished the game off just after half time.

Not many teams concede a third of their goals in a 15 minute time period.

I thought Lundstram was ok last night but  Lundstram - Davis - Kamara gives the same problems as Jack- Davis - Kamara did a couple of years back.

It the piles pressure on front three to score the goals and lets be honest Aribo isn’t a goal scorer and Kent is absolutely miles off it so it’s then down to Morelos or Roofe if he plays.

I get that playing Davis, Kamara, Lundstram is supposed to give solidity against better teams, but I think it means those teams can commit more, knowing they won't have to concern themselves much about our midfield's offensive capabilities. Should always aim to have an Aribo, Arfield or Hagi in there. 

Having a threat can be a good form of defence. Although, that said, the likes of Aribo still needs to learn to be more alert defensively.

Beaten by the better side, thought both teams showed one another a lot of respect, possibly too much on our side.

Was annoyed at Kent for losing the ball and we should have defended better but sometimes credit to the opposition as it was a great goal.

Ifs and buts with Kent effort 1st half and Tav hitting the post but the 2nd goal killed the game as they were wanting us to open out to hit on the counter and we knew it so it kinda ended up drifting to a conclusion.

We have previously shown we can compete against top teams from Portugal, Belgium etc. but don’t think it’s a coincidence that when we have played a good team from the top 5 leagues in Bayer and Lyon, we have came up a bit short.

Just need to focus on the weekend and get the confidence back up.

24 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

Just a weird thing in our game just now and I find it strange because we've typically been quite strong after half time under Gerrard.

Half time team talks have probably gone a bit stale - like the players appear to be…

It appears to me, by the way are playing at the moment, that the best thing for us would be to finish third in this group where we drop into a playoff in the Conference league. Seen Malmo beaten 3-0 at home in the Champions league, albeit by Juventus, a top Italian team. Imagine what Juve would have done to us!  Coming second in our group will see us playing a team dropping down from the Champions league. Unless we improve dramatically over the next few months, what chance would we have getting to the last 16.

42 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

At least we have Livi to look forward to next week. Now that will be a proper atmosphere. 

1 hour ago, Prso's headband said:

Think we’re probably back to the days where the fans see the Europa as secondary, a given that we’re always going to be there now. 

The atmosphere last night 4 mins before kick off was just people talking to each other. 

Agree mate 👍🏻

2 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

If we don't win the league this year there's probably a fair chance we never qualify for the CL ever again tbh with the changes UEFA are bringing in for that tournament in a few years. It will become even harder to qualify for and quite frankly they don't want teams like us in it

So the fans will need to get used to the Europa League.