*****The Official Champions vs Olympique Lyonnais Match Thread*****

G.E.C.

I thought the atmosphere sounded awful last night for the majority of the game, it’s understandable because it’s incredibly difficult to bring yourself to sing when the football is so poor, but it was not a good atmosphere by any stretch of the imagination 

The whole thing felt like everyone was still disappointed we aren’t in the champions league, from the moment it became evident multiple tickets hadn’t sold hours before kick off 

2 hours ago, BigDak said:

To be fair, I don’t think McGregor had a particularly busy night either. Folk can argue either side of “worldly v poor defending” debate for their first but aside from the save at their second and a couple of punched balls in the air I can’t remember Shagger having much to do.

This isn’t aimed at you, but can’t people just accept that we came up against a better team? I thought everybody tried hard last night but Lyon are a good team and played better.

I don’t know where I sit on the side of the fence re: them being a step above us. But I think that if everything came together we have the beating of them. But it would need top form from everyone and all the wee slack passes etc. to be cut out.

True. Felt to me like both teams were waiting to see who would make a mistake first. We did twice at both their goals and they had players with genuine footballing ability who punished us for our slackness.

Their first goal was clinical. Kent lost possession cheaply, Lundstram couldn't defend and Ekambi had the ability to punish us with what can be described as a sensational strike. The reverse pass for their second was a wee touch of class too. Don't know who made the pass but it was intelligent.

When do we see our players score goals from outside the box from open play or play intelligent reverse passes that put us through 1 on 1 with the keeper? Rarely.

My point being that most of the players we have are good enough in Scottish Football, but don't have the footballing ability to compete with players from decent sides in Europe.

2 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I thought the atmosphere sounded awful last night for the majority of the game, it’s understandable because it’s incredibly difficult to bring yourself to sing when the football is so poor, but it was not a good atmosphere by any stretch of the imagination 

The whole thing felt like everyone was still disappointed we aren’t in the champions league, from the moment it became evident multiple tickets hadn’t sold hours before kick off 

It was good for most of the first half, even after the goal for a bit. 

Second half everyone had enough and wanted to get up the road. 

1 hour ago, Creampuff said:

Atmosphere was good last night until the goal. Even then for the five minutes after was good, gradually died off for the balance of the half.

I was in SJR5 and it was like a library for the majority of the game. Like the players, the crowd never got going. Kind of understandable as their goals took the wind out our sails and the way we were playing left little to be desired.

To go from a brilliant atmosphere against the Tims, to a library against Lyon was disappointing. 

10 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

If we don't win the league this year there's probably a fair chance we never qualify for the CL ever again tbh with the changes UEFA are bringing in for that tournament in a few years. It will become even harder to qualify for and quite frankly they don't want teams like us in it

So the fans will need to get used to the Europa League.

Yup I just think everyone is suffering from a European hangover as I think we all kind of hoped and maybe expected to get to the CL so the EL becomes a bit meh. 

When teams play at a decent tempo the crowd reacts and creates atmosphere. When a team plays at walking pace, as we did last night, it is hard to get at all enthused and no matter how the crowd reacts if the players are not prepared to up their effort we are not going to get a noisy Ibrox.

Stats were pretty even possession even our build up was more side ways and back the way, same shots on only trouble is they took their chances. Impressed with Guimaraes and Ekambi's goal,All got green light to travel from red zones by Scottish Government.:britney:

Beaten fair and square not good enough.

3 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

Even the crowd reflects the waning interest in the Europa, was hundreds, if not thousands of empty seats in the Broomloand Rear by the looks of it.

Not the most glamorous Europa League draw either. Feels anti climactic when it could have been the champions league.

Just need to make sure we are in the real deal next season.

1 hour ago, .Williamson. said:

Tbf, the BR tickets never got out on sale until Wednesday or Thursday, and the pricing is embarrassing. People at school expected to pay £32 sums it up

Hear what everyone’s saying about the atmosphere but honestly the team gave the crowd nothing to shout about 

Thought it was fine if not special first half, could’ve gone a different way if we had got that goal towards the end of the half but second half from the word go think everyone in the stadium could tell nothing had changed from half time and it killed the crowd completely 

Looked out our depths last night, although McGregor didn't have a lot to do and had no chance with either goal, Their possession play outclassed ours, we seemed to panic on the ball. Miss placed passes were annoying as fuck.

ppl saying Lundstram can't defend because of the goal, he actually tried to show him down the line, what any defender would do tbh, thought he had a decent game tbf.

We have found our level imo, a half decent Europa League team, this team would have to go above and beyond to reach any latter stages QF/ SF and we are miles off that.

SG mentioned in the interview this morning that some shit rhag was bad mouthing the team, especially Lundstram. I don't read news papers...and idea who is was (I assume it was one of the 2 main culprits).

I thought Kent and Davis were the worst players on the pitch last night. They both kept giving the ball away and Davis passes were uncharacteristically short a lot of the time. But...you can't be great every game. Just pick ourselves up for the weekend.

The crowd react to the players and what’s on show and it’s hard to get excited about square or backward passes. 
Our European performances this season have been awful,Malmö,alashkert and last night have all been piss poor.

Asking Davis to play every game plus internationals is beginning to show.

Gerrard says in his interview regarding Kent that we have a great medical team well I don’t see it as when players go out for supposedly a couple of games you don’t see them for months and the Ryan Jack fiasco is just laughable,we’ve had back in a couple of weeks to needing an operation to this weekend has maybe come to soon for him to now he’s just vanished from sight.

5 hours ago, Rum Ham said:

Create his own chances from what?

Give an example of an opportunity to do that last night.

Precisely what im saying, morelos didn't have a single shot on goal last night, even aribo managed to create himself a shot on goal from nothing in the box

Playing against big heavy hitters morelos is a godsend, but against european level defenders if our team aren't playing well then morelos struggles, imo roofe leading the line in big European games would suit us better 

Thought we played well the first half and more than held our own against a very good team - probably the best we've played all season - different second half, looked out of our depth.

If we can produce the first half performance on a regular basis we'll win the league at a canter  

I wish we could do better against good teams like Lyon but I'm also relieved we don't have to play at Champions League level.

We are not ready to compete against top teams in Europe in my opinion. Yes we are short and shaked with covid, injuries/knocks etc, but against other oppositions we'd have struggle even more.

On the other hand, I felt the crowd was disappointed we couldn't make it against Malmö to reach CL, after our title we were in a very good mood. I left Ibrox a bit sad, underwhelmed, with the feeling we could've done better with more willingness and luck.

After watching the game again today bottom line better team won. Referee and stand side linesman a pair of arseholes, but in the greater scheme of things we did our own damage, second to every ball, loss of possession was rife and apart from a couple of shots creation of chances were few and far between. The treble will do me. 

4 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

Watched the highlights back this morning and while we made a few chances and McGregor didn’t have much to do, we’re just so slow and pedestrian and really lack any kind of creativity. 

When you watch the game back you realise we were not as bad and did create good chances they took the chances they had and got a bit lucky with the second goal.

Our players are needing to have a wee bit more belief in themselves.

1 minute ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Nah mate we were shit. Sell them all and sack Gerrard...

Some players had stinkers ie Kent, Davis and Kamara but it was two mistakes that lead to both the goals and their keeper made a wonder save. I agree with you and Gerrard that there was not much between the sides bar the odd moment of magic and a couple of slack moments from us. 

Yup. If we were playing a Hibs/Hearts/Aberdeen and the game went like that fair enough but we were playing a very good team.