Fashion Sakala

KeyserSoze

I know we need to see more of him. 

But why is he not pushing hard for a start? SG sees him everyday. Why when he comes on do I look at him and feel a bit Meh!!

Time is never a factor when it comes to control etc. Time is only relevant when he’s fitting into our system. 

he needs to start a game definitely- but why has he not?

44 minutes ago, Valance1690 said:

Doesn't seem to be in the managers thoughts and that's with all the issues we've had...

Kent totally off form

Wright isolating for covid 

Roofe family issues and suspended

Morelos arriving late

Hagi with covid

All of the above issues and he's barely m managed to play more than 90 minutes across all games this season 

Sakala missed 2 weeks of preseason with the work permit issue, was rushed into the side which then resulted in a groin injury which put him out for a couple of weeks and is now just starting to get some match fitness in him.

He’s only really coming on when we’re desperate for something or when we look to close up shop and see a game out. I thought he was ok against St Johnstone tbh and in his start against Livingston again he was ok. I think he’ll be a good player. With Kent out it might give him a chance to stake a claim

He needs a run of 3-4 starts, has had a disrupted pre-season and a string of subs appearances. 

With Kent expected out, I’d like us to play him in the middle and put Morelos & Roofe either side of him. Morelos’ physicality could help out wide, plus he’s not really much of a goal threat currently for whatever reason. 

The problem he has is he won't suit our shitty style of attacking just now. Management seem determined to overload the wings and pump balls into the box. Doesn't suit him. Plan b is the long Hoof fae Goldson and that wee guy isn't winning many headers.

2 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Quite bad for judging quickly, but hasn’t shown me (or Gerrard obviously) anything to say he deserves to be in front of Roofe or Morleos. 

Surely if he’s tearing our defenders a new arseole in training he’d be first pick. 

45 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Why?

I would imagine this covers most of it. It's just been pretty stop/start for him and after pushing him we're probably being a bit more cautious of late with him.

It's also understandable why Gerrard would go with players he trusts in recent games like Morelos, Roofe, Kent, Aribo and Hagi, although admittedly they have all been indifferent this season so far.

I'm sure we'll settle soon enough. And I'm sure Sakala will get minutes too.

2 minutes ago, KeyserSoze said:

Telling you, it’s happening Tam.  Two years making cameo appearances then shipped out on loan to MK Dons.  

Caixinha's Got a better eye for a striker than Gerrard 

I think it was the old firm game where all he had to do was run down the line into space and hold the ball up, but he stayed in the middle where he was being marked. Could’ve gave us a less nervy ending, and based on this one moment I’m writing him off 

goodbye fashion 

5 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

See Sakala is getting the Itten treatment 

A player is never going to be able to prove himself with a 10 minute sub appearance here and there

Unless you're arriving at a team who have 0 striker's or you're a household name, every player has to show some promise in the limited minutes they get on the park & in training

If Kent/Morelos are out this weekend and he still doesn't get a start that'll show how far down the pecking order Sakala is. If he does get a start, he needs to take it, at home to Motherwell, can't ask for a better chance. 

All a bit stop start with his isolation period and then picking up an injury, whilst I agree with some posters that he looks a bit raw at times that has to be expected with such limited game time.....my concern will be that with Kent & Morelos missing on Sunday Sakala will most likely still be on the bench with Roofe & Wright most likely the replacements.....makes you wonder where the lad will get any sort of run in the team, only then can we make sound judgement....certainly has a Itten feel about it just now

23 minutes ago, TamCoopz said:

I think it was the old firm game where all he had to do was run down the line into space and hold the ball up, but he stayed in the middle where he was being marked. Could’ve gave us a less nervy ending, and based on this one moment I’m writing him off 

goodbye fashion 

😀

I remember the Record Rangers (I know) podcast had Gert Verheyen on when we first signed him. I went back and listened to it this morning and how he described him has been a perfect summation of what we have seen so far I think.

He said his cons were that he has average quality on the ball, likes to shoot a lot (most shots in the Belgian league last season) but a poor conversion rate.

However on the plus side he said Ostende played a counter attacking game with lots of high pressing and counter pressing and that style suited him because he has loads of pace and he just had to run rather than think about what he was doing.

Basically said he has the raw tools but needs more coaching to become a better player and I think that’s exactly what he’s looked like for us so far.

39 minutes ago, GA1972 said:

See Sakala is getting the Itten treatment 

A player is never going to be able to prove himself with a 10 minute sub appearance here and there

Apart from playing and training every day of the week in front of our coaching staff you mean?