Fashion Sakala

KeyserSoze

2 hours ago, psb07158 said:

He absolutely hates running channels :lol:. So many times our players looked up and wanted him to go down the side of the full-back and he refused to make the run, wanting the ball played directly in to him

That would involve us dropping this two 10s pish and going back to a proper front 3

Yeah its bizarre. He really likes to run across the front of a backline instead of trying to stretch them or get in behind. I don't get it :lol: 

1 hour ago, DBBTB said:

I remember the Record Rangers (I know) podcast had Gert Verheyen on when we first signed him. I went back and listened to it this morning and how he described him has been a perfect summation of what we have seen so far I think.

He said his cons were that he has average quality on the ball, likes to shoot a lot (most shots in the Belgian league last season) but a poor conversion rate.

However on the plus side he said Ostende played a counter attacking game with lots of high pressing and counter pressing and that style suited him because he has loads of pace and he just had to run rather than think about what he was doing.

Basically said he has the raw tools but needs more coaching to become a better player and I think that’s exactly what he’s looked like for us so far.

I think he's very far from the finished article and he needs to work on positioning, control and composure. Tbh he feels more like a B team player with potential at this stage of his development and not a first team ready additional attacker which is what we really needed.

2 hours ago, GA1972 said:

See Sakala is getting the Itten treatment 

A player is never going to be able to prove himself with a 10 minute sub appearance here and there

The old conundrum:

’Is he pish because he gets no game time?’

Or

’Does he get no game time because he’s pish?’

Time will tell…

54 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We play a system that requires our striker to hold the ball up and be strong and wait for support, then wonder why strikers who aren't that type of player, struggle

Itten wasn't the worst at that

9 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Hes played a grand total of 157 minutes for us. 71 minutes were against Livi in a 3-0 win.

Rest have practically been in Europe chasing games vs Malmo and Lyon.

Hes had isolation and injury issues, adapting to a new side and league. Also a side disrupted at the moment and looking for form.

He needs time to settle and adapt, problem is I don't see him getting enough game time.

Spot on mate

20 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Hes played a grand total of 157 minutes for us. 71 minutes were against Livi in a 3-0 win.

Hes had isolation and injury issues, adapting to a new side and league. Also a side disrupted at the moment and looking for form.

He needs time to settle and adapt, problem is I don't see him getting enough game time.

So basically the same stick we used to beat  itten with is now being used to justify sakala being a good player?? 

Ffs canny make this shit up in here. 

Neither players were or have been given a fair chance yet one is a dud with no future at us while the other deserves his fair chance 

23 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

We'll send him out on loan next summer, without ever really giving him a chance

Seen that before somewhere im sure.....

3 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

So basically the same stick we used to beat  itten with is now being used to justify sakala being a good player?? 

Neither players were or have been given a fair chance yet one is a dud with no future at us while the other deserves his fair chance 

Itten wasn’t a dud.

Certain fans just have the knives out for any striker that isn’t Morelos. It’s weirdo behaviour 

Just now, GA1972 said:

Itten wasn’t a dud.

Certain fans just have the knives out for any striker that isn’t Morelos. It’s weirdo behaviour 

Yeah I know and that's what I was hinting at. I felt when we signed itten he would be perfect fit for the way we play with constant crosses but I remember spending 80 mins watching cross after cross to Alfie or even worse defoe etc then the minute itten came on the ball was played into feet. I'm pretty certain itten will score a decent amount of goals this season then be sold 

6 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

Pish. Remember we only get to see a fraction of their ability on occasion

The coaching team see them most days.  Hence the fleeting subs appearances and ultimately a loan spell. Surely after nearly two seasons Itten should have Morelos/Roofe shitting it. 

which he didn’t. I think Sakala is heading the same way. 
I hope not btw but there’s defo a wee doubt. 

7 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

One has been in the door 5 minutes, the other a whole season, bit of a difference eh?

Not when neither were or have been given a proper chance, fwiw I reckon in the small glimpses of either itten look the better footballer but I said at the time sakala doesn't look like he will suit our style especially domestically. He's def a player more suited to a team that defends a lot and hits in the counter constantly. Certainly won't get half a pitch to run into home or away in the league all game long 

also found lundstram a very strange signing as well as he kinda goes against what Gerrard uses in a cmf and it shows the way he's being asked to play

with Kent likely out for the foreseeable future, Sakala is going to be given ample opportunities to prove himself. Itten never really got a prolonged chance, it was always stop-start with him.

However, without knowing for sure yet, I'm going to predict Sakala is the better player between the two of them.