Lundstram must start

five stars

4 hours ago, left winger said:

Lundstram was certainly better when Davis went off the other night. It’s hardly a ‘he must start’ situation, though.

Twice lundstram has looked capable of playing for us, granted once was against dunfermline and the second half thursday night, both times we only played 2 in the middle instead of 3

5 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

To be honest, both Davis and McGregor have looked their age this season. Be happy to go with McLaughlin and Lundstram for a couple of games and see how it goes. Barisic has also been way below par for a number of games.

Happy for a few changes on Sunday. 

McLaughlin

Tav Goldson Balogun Bassey

Lundstram Kamara

Bacuna

Aribo Roofe Wright 

Don’t think McGregor has done much wrong this season.  Maybe he needs to play more to keep his sharpness.

18 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I will agree that Davis needs his game time drastically reduced but if folk are holding out on Lundstram to be the answer, we are in for a long season. He cost us against Malmo and played his part in the first goal against Lyon. Far too slow.

Lost his man for Dundee United's goal as well.

26 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

I will agree that Davis needs his game time drastically reduced but if folk are holding out on Lundstram to be the answer, we are in for a long season. He cost us against Malmo and played his part in the first goal against Lyon. Far too slow.

He was marking the guy who’s shot led to the og at one point, then wandered off to mark space, before clocking the danger & arriving too late to do anything.

He definitely needs a run of games, 

If we are judging on a game to game basis he was our best midfielder on Thursday night so should start.

Won't be popular on here as most posters make their mind up within 3 appearances and can't except they were wrong about anything football related. 

I'll save judgement on him until the full team actually up their game and get anywhere near the levels we have seen for the majority of last season.

He should start during against Motherwell.  Thought he was one of our better players midweek.  Absolutely no need Davis should start against Motherwell.  We need to be wise with Davis.  It's evident he still wants to play for NI so we need to be resting him against fodder at home.

23 minutes ago, Professor_Chang said:

He should start during against Motherwell.  Thought he was one of our better players midweek.  Absolutely no need Davis should start against Motherwell.  We need to be wise with Davis.  It's evident he still wants to play for NI so we need to be resting him against fodder at home.

That fodder at home haven't had too bad a start to the season. No game is going to be easy on current form unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, McEwan's Lager said:

The annoying thing for me is he's either not the player we thought we were getting or he's being told to play to a style he's not used to.

I was expecting a big and dominant box to box player full of energy and running, he just looks very slow of thought and cumbersome.

He said this about a month ago

“Everyone just thinks you’re coming in and it’s easy and you’re playing central midfield and it’s plain sailing,” said Lundstram

“But it’s tough, the manager is asking me to play a different role from the one that I’m used to.

“At Sheffield United I was always asked to stay away from the ball, stay higher up the pitch, let the two centre halves step in.

“Whereas now the gaffer likes me to drop in and get on the ball a little bit deeper so I’m still learning the position as games go on, I pick it up a little bit more.

“But I’m enjoying it, enjoying having more of the ball and hopefully I take it in my stride.”

5 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

He said this about a month ago

“Everyone just thinks you’re coming in and it’s easy and you’re playing central midfield and it’s plain sailing,” said Lundstram

“But it’s tough, the manager is asking me to play a different role from the one that I’m used to.

At Sheffield United I was always asked to stay away from the ball, stay higher up the pitch, let the two centre halves step in.

“Whereas now the gaffer likes me to drop in and get on the ball a little bit deeper so I’m still learning the position as games go on, I pick it up a little bit more.

“But I’m enjoying it, enjoying having more of the ball and hopefully I take it in my stride.”

WIT???

Just now, slimjim1690 said:

It might answer a few questions, United telling him "stay away from the ball" or in other words "stay away from the ball, 'cos you're not very good" :pipe:

Maybe continue reading and see the context in which it was meant 

Just now, The Specky Liar said:

Maybe continue reading and see the context in which it was meant 

I did read it, even in the context it does seem a strange thing to say to any footballer, "stay further up the park etc" or words to that effect fair enough but to say "stay away from the ball" well that's just such a weird thing to say IMO.

Lundstram doesn't look mobile enough to be a box to box player, he looks lost playing on the left or right of a 3.

But he could potentially be a good central defensive midfielder with good strength and decent passing, allowing Kamara and Aribo to go box to box.

Davis can't play every game.