*****The official Rangers V Motherwell thread*****

Bacuna looked ok when he came on. 

Livi on wed will give Gerrard the chance to drop 4-5 players and i think it will stay like that after we win, and win well. 

IMO 

Tav, Simpson, Borna, Davis will be replaced.  we need more energy in the team, freshen things up, it's a stale fest. 

1 minute ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Davis was our best player, no sure why people are saying he needs replaced

Too slow atm, were taking too much time on the ball, id give Davis a rest and play Bacuna against livi,  Patterson for Tav and Bassey for Borna. Simpson, well we all seen him. 

Just back from the game bloody frustrating all the way through it .

I was a lot more patient today than Thursday night, today they get on the front foot Sakalas movement was superb.

it was obvious he was going to fade out the game at some point alongside Aribo who continues to frustrate with his three to many touches and steps ending up closed down every time if one player needs a rest for me it's Aribo who started well but also bombed .

The amount of times they tried to walk it into the bloody box never mind the net was shocking a few nearly through passes that never came off due to interception but when pushing forward we are too sedate ,continually it comes to nothing .

We really should have been out of sight given the domination of the game but the manager has to get on top of these late subs a few players were clearly done in by 65-70 mins in.

The players should have been on the park for the unfurling as the backing they received all through the game was again outstanding .

The midfield needs overhauled regards creativity & mobility far too much side to side garbage rather than get that winner we needed today.

Dunno how people can say barisic isn't fit, him and tav go up and down that line all day, his crossing has never been 100%, problem we have is that when we do have a decent cross into the box its usually one blue shirt vs about 4 opposing defenders

The problem with barisic and tav now is that everyone knows how we will utilise them, so they sit off them until they are near the box, teams are happy if our fullbacks are throwing balls into the box from 30 odd yards out, 

Last season barisic and tav were able to get in behind more often because teams sat on them tight, then quick 1-2's and we were in behind, so they either got to drill a ball across the goal from near the byline (think of the Hamilton away game, the own goal we got) or a centre half comes out to meet them, allowing space for our forwards to run into (roofes goal against ross county away for example) 

1 hour ago, GaryMc said:

Even more puzzling given the fact Gerrard thought Lundstram had his best game for us to date against Lyon then drops him and doesn't even get him on the pitch.

Top class management there.

If you remember Gerrard said Helander performed at a Champions League level in the first league against Malmo, he then dropped him for the 2nd leg 🤔

I feel like a broken record on here but we need more width sometimes. Motherwell were playing in between their goal posts and the amount of space we had at the back post was crazy, especially in the first half!

Although Davis and Kamara played well I don't think we needed both today. I think Aribo, Lundstram and Davis/Kamara would have been much more balanced and has us playing wider which would have suited us much more today.

Bassey for Barisic would also have helped. Bassey is more willing to get into the final third and get to the byline. Pair this with Roofe in the box along with Aribo and Lunstram waiting for balls across we could have scored a few more goals.

9 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Dunno how people can say barisic isn't fit, him and tav go up and down that line all day, his crossing has never been 100%, problem we have is that when we do have a decent cross into the box its usually one blue shirt vs about 4 opposing defenders

The problem with barisic and tav now is that everyone knows how we will utilise them, so they sit off them until they are near the box, teams are happy if our fullbacks are throwing balls into the box from 30 odd yards out, 

Last season barisic and tav were able to get in behind more often because teams sat on them tight, then quick 1-2's and we were in behind, so they either got to drill a ball across the goal from near the byline (think of the Hamilton away game, the own goal we got) or a centre half comes out to meet them, allowing space for our forwards to run into (roofes goal against ross county away for example) 

Interesting point that. I don't think it helped either that Roofe was having to come deeper than he normally would be. I felt whenever Barisic had the ball out wide our biggest threat in the air (Roofe) was trying to get back into the box instead of already being there.

2 minutes ago, SIRB_72 said:

I feel like a broken record on here but we need more width sometimes. Motherwell were playing in between their goal posts and the amount of space we had at the back post was crazy, especially in the first half!

Although Davis and Kamara played well I don't think we needed both today. I think Aribo, Lundstram and Davis/Kamara would have been much more balanced and has us playing wider which would have suited us much more today.

Bassey for Barisic would also have helped. Bassey is more willing to get into the final third and get to the byline. Pair this with Roofe in the box along with Aribo and Lunstram waiting for balls across we could have scored a few more goals.

Short of widening the pitch how could we actually play any wider than we really do?? Also guys like sakala ain't too many headers from wide crosses against most of the spfl defences. Yes I know he scored today from the corner but realistically our playstyle is screaming out for a mark hateley type forward who would love the type of service the full backs offer 

8 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I actually thought Barisic had a good first half. No one gets pass marks in the second-half. 

Other than a 4 month stretch last year when he was lights-out, Tavernier is an average player for me (not a bad one). For every great cross or long-range shot, there are five poor deliveries. He is however, the captain and I have come to the conclusion he is the first name on the team sheet.

But no doubt, our full backs are not as effective as last year.

8 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

I actually thought Barisic had a good first half. No one gets pass marks in the second-half. 

Other than a 4 month stretch last year when he was lights-out, Tavernier is an average player for me (not a bad one). For every great cross or long-range shot, there are five poor deliveries. He is however, the captain and I have come to the conclusion he is the first name on the team sheet.

37 minutes ago, goaaaal said:

I was a lot more patient today than Thursday night, today they get on the front foot Sakalas movement was superb.

it was obvious he was going to fade out the game at some point alongside Aribo who continues to frustrate with his three to many touches and steps ending up closed down every time if one player needs a rest for me it's Aribo who started well but also bombed .

The amount of times they tried to walk it into the bloody box never mind the net was shocking a few nearly through passes that never came off due to interception but when pushing forward we are too sedate ,continually it comes to nothing .

We really should have been out of sight given the domination of the game but the manager has to get on top of these late subs a few players were clearly done in by 65-70 mins in.

The players should have been on the park for the unfurling as the backing they received all through the game was again outstanding .

The midfield needs overhauled regards creativity & mobility far too much side to side garbage rather than get that winner we needed today.

The midfield frustrates the hell out of me. Hardly any goals or assists and reticence to even shoot. 

Need more goals from this area imo, cant rely on the forwards every week!

3 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Barasic has no pace at all, gets one v one all the time and he knows he can’t beat the defender on the outside, contributes nothing should have got to their goal ,he was favourite

2 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

Short of widening the pitch how could we actually play any wider than we really do?? Also guys like sakala ain't too many headers from wide crosses against most of the spfl defences. Yes I know he scored today from the corner but realistically our playstyle is screaming out for a mark hateley type forward who would love the type of service the full backs offer 

Perhaps I should have been more precise. In the final third we aren't wide enough. Barisic and Tav start off very wide but today neither were willing to get to the byline (not Barisic's game either tbh).

It left us in a position were Barisic and Tav were crossing in balls in front of the Motherwell defence rather than trying to get in behind, get to the byline and play the ball back or play it across goal.

At no point today did Motherwell's back 4 feel the need to the move out of position and go wide to cover our men. Sakala, Roofe and Wright were all way to narrow for me once we got into the final third. 

I'm not compairing him to Hateley here at all but Roofe is very good in the air. We did suffer today from him coming deeper more than usual. Typically he stays further forward and Alfie comes deeper. 

It's almost as if we had the wrong full backs for the wrong forward line today and vice versa from where I see it.

2 minutes ago, Bristol loyal said:

To be honest I think our fullbacks get a hard time because the way we play relies so much on crossing. I remember reading an article a few months ago talking about how crossing is the least effective way of scoring. The statistics was something like on average only 1 in 60something crosses across the top 5 leagues in Europe results in a goal. When you consider that’s some of the best players in the world included in that some poor delivery’s from our fullbacks are to be expected.

Much bigger problem for me is how flat our two groups of three our in our current formation. First half today was the most dangerous we’ve looked all season and it’s no coincidence that was also when we had our best movement up front. We need more bodies making runs and getting in the box, something that doesn’t happen with the way we set up and play.

Excellent post.

46 minutes ago, goaaaal said:

Aribo is infuriating. If it’s not set up perfectly for his left foot then it usually ends up being crowded out. He shifts it,shifts it and shifts it again till he’s lost it. 

Just now, the old guard said:

Greegs, goldson and aribo get pass marks for me, the rest were average at best but roofe for me has to score and that should have been the difference, Davis ball to kamara was hoaching. 

Shagger contributed to the goal, he side passes it out instead of putting his foot thro it.