*****The official Rangers V Motherwell thread*****

1 minute ago, Bronzy said:

It’s almost a year to the day since we drew 2-2 with Hibs, which meant we were only a point ahead of celtic with them having a game in hand.

There were threads at the time demanding that Gerrard be sacked and that the team wasn’t good enough.

Just saying.

Good point however we played well most other games, not played well for over 45mins in a game this season. We also went on a phenomenal run from now till January. That seems unlikely this year.

51 minutes ago, rabc10000 said:

Short of widening the pitch how could we actually play any wider than we really do?? Also guys like sakala ain't too many headers from wide crosses against most of the spfl defences. Yes I know he scored today from the corner but realistically our playstyle is screaming out for a mark hateley type forward who would love the type of service the full backs offer 

Its not so much widening the pitch, watch when our fullbacks get the ball out wide, they never take a man on, so the opponents simply stay narrow knowing our fullbacks wont beat their man and head for the box/byline

In games like today where there is space, we need people out wide who can take the ball at feet and go by the man, once the opposing fullback is taken out the game it throws opponents shape into disarray, forces someone to break ranks to confront them or else let them drive into the box/shooting position 

See when malmo went down to ten men and then take the lead, did you see them try to cover the whole pitch, nope they just stayed narrow knowing full well we'd just lump ball after ball into the box from out wide cause we had no one willing to commit their defence

In games like today we should be changing it up a bit, a 4132 or a 4141, tell the fullbacks to simply support the wide guys in front of them, and keep their defensive line, means the sitting mid doesn't have to cover out wide, then you have guys like, Wright etc, all willing to run with the ball, attacking the opposing fullbacks, 

So many daft mistakes this season so far. Every single game has at least a couple we're lucky to get away with. 

Chances we're creating just aren't quite good enough either. 

Times like today I wish Gerrard would bring someone on a bit earlier to give some more time to actually make the impact we need.

It’s a bit of a cliche, but I would be more worried if we weren’t making any chances. We had enough today to easily win the game. Also, why is the manager messing about with the defence? Jack Simpson isn’t good enough in my opinion and I don’t see him getting any better. I don’t think we will go much longer before we hit some decent form and when we do we should have far too much for the rest of the league.

There’s  nobody with a real presence in the side - someone to grab the players and push them on. The number of Motherwell players dropping like flies wasting time and our lot are giving it half hearted complaints. Said it before but we need a right nasty bastard in the side. 

46 minutes ago, STEPPS BOY said:

The worrying thing is that we concede now it seems to suck all belief out of the team.

On Thursday the game was over when they scored the second and at no point today did i think we were winning that when it went to 1-1.

Tbh we have always been a bit like that under Gerrard. We are absolutely hopeless chasing a winner late on, game normally fizzles out.

8 minutes ago, Swagger said:

There’s  nobody with a real presence in the side - someone to grab the players and push them on. The number of Motherwell players dropping like flies wasting time and our lot are giving it half hearted complaints. Said it before but we need a right nasty bastard in the side. 

So true, that Ref, who I've always hated reffing our games - due to the fact he continually stops play- let them away with timewasting. 

Referees used to hate Richard Gough because he was always in their ear moaning from what I remember. Barry Ferguson was probably the same I would imagine. 

2 hours ago, Bronzy said:

It’s almost a year to the day since we drew 2-2 with Hibs, which meant we were only a point ahead of Celtic with them having a game in hand.

There were threads at the time demanding that Gerrard be sacked and that the team wasn’t good enough, etc.

Just saying.

I’m not panicking yet but there’s a big difference getting a draw at Hibs when a couple of game changing decisions went against us compared to performance today at home against Motherwell where the biggest decision of the game let us get a draw

Any positive from today was them dropping 3 points, 

1st half to 2nd half was night and day today, some of the football in the first half was good to watch Davis absolutely ran that first half, but we really need to up our finishing tho, we should have these games won by HT.

Feels like a defeat as we could have opened the gap a bit more, got to put that 2nd half performance behind us now and move on.

1 hour ago, MacBoyd said:

Tbf he did give us 6 mins injury time most scottish refs don't for us.

We were due about 5 mins I thought anyway. Noticed it with him before in 2019 when there were crowds, and especially at Ibrox.

One game in particular, amongst others, was against the sheep where I think we drew one each from memory. He continually stops the game for daft wee niggles and free kicks and kills our momentum in the game. He constantly does it! One of the worst refs out there. Not THE worst but right up there IMO. 

3 hours ago, Bristol loyal said:

To be honest I think our fullbacks get a hard time because the way we play relies so much on crossing. I remember reading an article a few months ago talking about how crossing is the least effective way of scoring. The statistics was something like on average only 1 in 60something crosses across the top 5 leagues in Europe results in a goal. When you consider that’s some of the best players in the world included in that some poor delivery’s from our fullbacks are to be expected.

Much bigger problem for me is how flat our two groups of three our in our current formation. First half today was the most dangerous we’ve looked all season and it’s no coincidence that was also when we had our best movement up front. We need more bodies making runs and getting in the box from midfield, something that doesn’t happen with the way we set up and play.

Agree our current setup has to change if we want to get more bodies forward especially from midfield. 

Again today we stared with 2 CDM. In this league at home there is very few teams that require 2 CDM to be played. 

5 hours ago, BigBearButt said:

if you go by our second half performance it probably was a good point. We are fucking stinking in every aspect. Creativity, Desire, Decision making, leadership its all lacking this year and none of the senior and experienced players look like they give a fuck or know how to grab a game by the scruff of the neck. 

I get pelters on here for the stick i give Davis  but its no fucking wonder. He offers next to nothing most games but is still lauded as a top player. Where was he today? As an experienced player and ex captain he should have been barking orders and taking the game by the scruff of the neck. Instead he moused around in midfield playing 5 yard passes sideways at the edge of their box instead of taking responsibility and shooting. Its not good enough. Others are guilty and its not just him but he seems to be a mainstay in the team even though he looks like his legs can only give one decent 45 mins a week at most out of 180.

I dont want to see him and kamara in the same side again, especially at ibrox against what should be fodder. We need to stop giving teams too much respect and get our swagger back.

Davis is well into his thirties. Still at least we are top..

Just now, Broxi said:

Didn’t see the game today, how did Bacuna look when he came on?

Looked a bit off the pace but did at least try to take a man on and hit a shot from 20 yards out (went wide)

Not entirely sure what his best position is

Last season we were lucky with having few injuries and consistent selections. We could bring on Arfield for his 5 or 6 good games a season, feed in Hagi, Defoe and Itten who all contributed goals.

This season there has been bizarre changes of keepers and central defenders, COVID losses and has shown how poor our recruitment has been in the last 2 windows. However, the lack of tempo, intensity and ability to control games is frightening.