Jump to content

*****The official Rangers V Motherwell thread*****


Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, Colin Traive said:

I accept the responsibility we must carry for not knowing what to do from 20 yards out but the level of time wasting (or “game management” as it seems to be called these days) is reaching the point where we’re only getting a fraction of what we pay for.

The fact that there was more dead time than actual play should ring alarm bells with those running the game.

Imagine chucking it halfway through the second set of a men’s tennis match or eight holes of a round of golf and you see how ridiculous it’s getting.

The rugby boys stop the clock when the ball is not in play so they get the full eighty minutes.

As things stand, we’re rewarding cheating and denying the public half the product they’re paying for.

Not quite. A ref will only stop the clock for certain situations and they will signal for it. If the ball goes out for a line out etc time doesn't go off.

Link to post
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

If anyone wants to hear an absolutely shocking statistic - in the game yesterday, the ball was only actually in play for 46 minutes. There was 51 minutes of 'dead' time. 

I remember a few years ago the IFA was proposing two 30 minute halves of football where every time the ball went out of play, the clock was stopped. I'm beginning to say fuck tradition, let's go for that. Fed up of all the time wasting. 

Having the clock stop won't deter 'time wasting' at all. Teams will still take ages at goal kicks and throw ins, pretend to have head knocks etc to give themselves a breather, get themselves set position wise, and disrupt the rhythm of their opponents. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

If anyone wants to hear an absolutely shocking statistic - in the game yesterday, the ball was only actually in play for 46 minutes. There was 51 minutes of 'dead' time. 

I remember a few years ago the IFA was proposing two 30 minute halves of football where every time the ball went out of play, the clock was stopped. I'm beginning to say fuck tradition, let's go for that. Fed up of all the time wasting. 

What about the 6 second rule for goalies, Kelly was taking drink breaks and wandering all over the shop.

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, McEwan's Lager said:

Having the clock stop won't deter 'time wasting' at all. Teams will still take ages at goal kicks and throw ins, pretend to have head knocks etc to give themselves a breather, get themselves set position wise, and disrupt the rhythm of their opponents. 

If it's a strict clock stop, like in the NBA, it will. As soon as the ball goes out of play or is a goal kick, stop the clock. A player needs to kick the ball for the clock to restart. I had thought that was what was being proposed a while back?

They can still have head knocks etc, but ultimately it doesn't matter how long they roll around on the floor for - they'll have to play 60 minutes of competitive football, ball in play every week. Iirc they chose the 60 minutes mark because that was the mean in the top 5 leagues

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Dickie said:

What about the 6 second rule for goalies, Kelly was taking drink breaks and wandering all over the shop.

Goalies take the piss but it seems to be a cardinal sin for referees to send someone off for time wasting

Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Lord Lockin said:

It was 3 minutes from them scoring to us kicking off to restart the game

 

Aye because the boy decided to celebrate like fuck then wait until walking back to the centre circle before deciding he was injured. 

McLean should have refused on-pitch treatment and told him to get off the pitch but it would take a brave referee to do it because of the potential ramifications if a player has a serious injury and a referee refuses prompt medical attention

Lord Lockin likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

I accept the responsibility we must carry for not knowing what to do from 20 yards out but the level of time wasting (or “game management” as it seems to be called these days) is reaching the point where we’re only getting a fraction of what we pay for.

The fact that there was more dead time than actual play should ring alarm bells with those running the game.

Imagine chucking it halfway through the second set of a men’s tennis match or eight holes of a round of golf and you see how ridiculous it’s getting.

The rugby boys stop the clock when the ball is not in play so they get the full eighty minutes.

As things stand, we’re rewarding cheating and denying the public half the product they’re paying for.

How many fecking games have we blown when we didn’t waste time and play out the clock. Benfica twice? Hamilton last year? Young Boys? St. Johnstone?

ElBufalo20 and BlueAvenger like this
Link to post
Share on other sites

We conceded to their only shot on target.

We had more than enough chances to win half a dozen games but couldn’t  put the ball in the net.  If we had gone two up by the half hour it would probably been 5 or 6.

Our crossing was generally poor.  Not incisive enough. 

Defensively we were sloppy for their goal.

A lot of time wasted and something does need to be done to address it.

But we should have been so far ahead by 75 minutes that it was game over.

Anyway 1 point gained on them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, psb07158 said:

If anyone wants to hear an absolutely shocking statistic - in the game yesterday, the ball was only actually in play for 46 minutes. There was 51 minutes of 'dead' time. 

I remember a few years ago the IFA was proposing two 30 minute halves of football where every time the ball went out of play, the clock was stopped. I'm beginning to say fuck tradition, let's go for that. Fed up of all the time wasting. 

That’s probably on average the amount of normal game time in any game. Don’t know why this stat is getting coverage all of a sudden.

We should’ve buried Motherwell in the first half and to be fair to the ref he played 6 extra minutes for all their carry on.

We’ve only ourselves to blame for not taking the 3 points and I can’t blame Motherwell for what they did yesterday we should maybe learn from it for some of our European games.

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 19/09/2021 at 18:14, Leftpegcoopz11 said:

Barisic was sleeping also, he jogged into the box and didn't track the runner that scored. If he hadn't been so fucking lazy he would have had 60/40 chance in his favour of winning that ball/clearing it. 

always seems to be the fringe players who impress and shoved back out again, bassey has done nothing wrong yet underperforming, weak as fuck borna barasic makes it in there again...

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ElBufalo20 said:

That’s probably on average the amount of normal game time in any game. Don’t know why this stat is getting coverage all of a sudden.

We should’ve buried Motherwell in the first half and to be fair to the ref he played 6 extra minutes for all their carry on.

We’ve only ourselves to blame for not taking the 3 points and I can’t blame Motherwell for what they did yesterday we should maybe learn from it for some of our European games.

The mean from top 5 leagues is 60 mins so it's 14 minutes short of 'normal' 

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, BuffaloUSAGers said:

How many fecking games have we blown when we didn’t waste time and play out the clock. Benfica twice? Hamilton last year? Young Boys? St. Johnstone?

You’re talking about the last five/ten minutes when you’re protecting a lead.

Teams like Motherwell are at it from kick-off, there’s no comparison.

ronniescu likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, falkirkNS said:

always seems to be the fringe players who impress and shoved back out again, bassey has done nothing wrong yet underperforming, weak as fuck borna barasic makes it in there again...

Bassey was terrible v St Johnstone

billscott and BlueAvenger like this
Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Colin Traive said:

You’re talking about the last five/ten minutes when you’re protecting a lead.

Teams like Motherwell are at it from kick-off, there’s no comparison.

They do it to throw better opponents out of their rhythm, and it works at times, cant really complain if we aren't smart enough to work round it

Link to post
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

They do it to throw better opponents out of their rhythm, and it works at times, cant really complain if we aren't smart enough to work round it

Agreed it’s up to us to get round it (eg a couple of early goals) but it really spoils the game as a spectacle.

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

He should have, aye 

Are you putting on us -3 the night just so I know if it’ll be a tense 1-0 affair.😂 I’ve got -1 fwiw.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Madina said:

Sorry for bumping this, I couldnt make the game and wondered if they gave out flags on the seats? They used to on flag day and I'd like to add one to my collection. Cheers 

This may be a bump at a bad time if you want a decent response! I was there and genuinely can’t remember…wasn’t even drinking

Madina likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Upcoming Events

    • 09 December 2021 17:45 Until 19:45
      0  
      Lyon v Rangers
      Stade des Lumieres
      UEFA Europa League
×
×
  • Create New...