Ianis Hagi

plymouthranger

3 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

He shows way more courage than others in trying to unlock a tight defence, tavs goal against st johnstone, kent gets an assist from it because he took the easy option to roll a ten yard sideways pass to tav, it came off that time but too often kent, aribo etc take they easy options, hagi seems like he'd rather lose the ball 9 times if the tenth risky pass results in a clear goalscoring opportunity 

He should be playing every single game 

Not saying he is the finished article but Hagi deserves much more match time.

One of the few Rangers players that can make a killer pass and turn a game in our favour.

10 minutes ago, born a blue nose said:

By who? And to what rating to be overrated? 

What's your ceiling for ratings, you say Goldson is our best player so I'm interested

Plenty of people overrate him, best in the country etc Halliday saying he’s our best player in twenty years :lol: 

Also don’t get the we’re worse without him, seasons not been great in terms of performances and not had a good 90 minutes team wise but we’ve looked at our best without Kent this season.

Goldson isn’t our best player, Kamara probably is, between him and Morelos anyway.

13 hours ago, psb07158 said:

Mourinho was on an SFA coaching course recently doing a Q&A with other young coaches and he spoke about how much he cherishes this place (I think he did some of his badges here?) and he watches Scottish football :lol:

Well I'm shocked at that but I doubt he'd dip into the market, his ego is too big. 

The thing with kent and to an extent aribo, is that, like itten, hagi and even sakala, we dont use them to their strengths

Every team in scottish football know we play it wide to the fullbacks who'll then try to create with crosses etc, so they pack the middle of the park knowing our fullbacks will need to throw it into the box or pass it backwards, how many times have we seen people in match threads etc say "tav and barisic look unfit, not weny by a man all season" etc etc, they arent supposed to, they are defenders who have trained to defend and support attacking players

And in the same attack that we are moaning about tav or barisic not taking men on, we see two guys (kent and aribo) who could nutmeg a mermaid, come inside with the ball to an already packed middle of the park where they are double marked

And then by doing that, they cut down on the space for guys like hagi to work in, forcing his game to go out the window

The 433 served us well when we didnt have the lions share of the ball, meant we had cover always, and kept ourselves tight to try keep the ball or win it back quickly, but in games we will dominate possession, its got its massive flaws, one that we arent wide enough attacking wise, and it moves players out of their natural position

If barisic goes up the park, we then have kamara covering him, and kent dropping into kamaras position, so we have a left back at left attacking mid, a left attacking mid at centre mid, and a centre mid at left back, square pegs round holes

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

The thing with kent and to an extent aribo, is that, like itten, hagi and even sakala, we dont use them to their strengths

Every team in scottish football know we play it wide to the fullbacks who'll then try to create with crosses etc, so they pack the middle of the park knowing our fullbacks will need to throw it into the box or pass it backwards, how many times have we seen people in match threads etc say "tav and barisic look unfit, not weny by a man all season" etc etc, they arent supposed to, they are defenders who have trained to defend and support attacking players

And in the same attack that we are moaning about tav or barisic not taking men on, we see two guys (kent and aribo) who could nutmeg a mermaid, come inside with the ball to an already packed middle of the park where they are double marked

And then by doing that, they cut down on the space for guys like hagi to work in, forcing his game to go out the window

The 433 served us well when we didnt have the lions share of the ball, meant we had cover always, and kept ourselves tight to try keep the ball or win it back quickly, but in games we will dominate possession, its got its massive flaws, one that we arent wide enough attacking wise, and it moves players out of their natural position

If barisic goes up the park, we then have kamara covering him, and kent dropping into kamaras position, so we have a left back at left attacking mid, a left attacking mid at centre mid, and a centre mid at left back, square pegs round holes

And yet last season we won the league. Our main competitor in Scotland haven't overcome square pegs in round holes in nearly 2 years! 

Jim you've been going on about this since Gerrard started and this was the chosen formation and tactic. Its what the players know, and its brought us silverware domestically and credibility in Europe. Its here to stay, you really need to get your head round that. The system won't go before Gerrard does.

What we don't and can't know is how successful we'd be if we played a different formation, a more typical one with defensive full backs and more attacking midfielders. With this group of players I'd argue we'd be less successful defensively as the full backs aren't the best at defending. Going forward with others as more typical wingers? Dunno, have you evidence of that any from Kent, Hagi, Sakala, Wright Aribo with previous clubs or even with us that suggest they'd be good enough for us as wide men?

Also, it's not really the case that players move around the way you describe. If Barasuc is up the park he's typically involving Kent who is also attacking, Kents not at centre mid. And Kamara is generally in the midfield pairing behind, often at the edge of the box, he's not at left back. Though if we lose possession he'll cover any breakaway on that side. It all works pretty fluidly and isn't as you describe.

Teams have set up defensively against us for decades. They'd still do so if we set up a typical 433. The players know what they're doing. We need to hit a rich vein of form again to push on further. Then some of this nonsense can go back in the bin where it was all last season.

19 minutes ago, SeparateEntityMyArse said:

And yet last season we won the league. Our main competitor in Scotland haven't overcome square pegs in round holes in nearly 2 years! 

Jim you've been going on about this since Gerrard started and this was the chosen formation and tactic. Its what the players know, and its brought us silverware domestically and credibility in Europe. Its here to stay, you really need to get your head round that. The system won't go before Gerrard does.

What we don't and can't know is how successful we'd be if we played a different formation, a more typical one with defensive full backs and more attacking midfielders. With this group of players I'd argue we'd be less successful defensively as the full backs aren't the best at defending. Going forward with others as more typical wingers? Dunno, have you evidence of that any from Kent, Hagi, Sakala, Wright Aribo with previous clubs or even with us that suggest they'd be good enough for us as wide men?

Also, it's not really the case that players move around the way you describe. If Barasuc is up the park he's typically involving Kent who is also attacking, Kents not at centre mid. And Kamara is generally in the midfield pairing behind, often at the edge of the box, he's not at left back. Though if we lose possession he'll cover any breakaway on that side. It all works pretty fluidly and isn't as you describe.

Teams have set up defensively against us for decades. They'd still do so if we set up a typical 433. The players know what they're doing. We need to hit a rich vein of form again to push on further. Then some of this nonsense can go back in the bin where it was all last season.

I honestly believe we’d be much more successful in the cups if we didn’t constantly rotate and at home played with one sitting midfielder instead of two. 

11 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

I honestly believe we’d be much more successful in the cups if we didn’t constantly rotate and at home played with one sitting midfielder instead of two. 

I do too, especially at home.

But in the cups we've given poor performances overall, made mistakes, but also given time to guys we've then went on to need like Bassey. We're stronger this season for what happened last season and for me now don't have anyone we can't rely on.

I think the tone from Gerrard is that this season cups are more important again. 

12 hours ago, born a blue nose said:

A can't champion Kent enough mate, a don't really understand why people don't see what he brings to the game for us. The stepovers, the chops inside, the turn inside/outside, burst of pace you name it.. every single part or that when playing shite or good plays dividends on our performance.  

Cunts wanting wright to replace him on the build up to that game there are just fucking clueless man

Best football post on here for a while.

22 hours ago, psb07158 said:

It is quite incredible the number of talented football coaches that come through the system in Scotland / do their badges here, yet the standard of football and youth in the country is shocking. 

Off the top of my head, Mourinho, Villas Boas, Rodgers (sorry lads), Capello, Queiroz, Nuno Santo all did some of their coaching badges here

Kept their mouths shut, did the drills and after they got the badges did their own thing and ignored the nonsense from Largs.

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

Really want him to be good but wasn't good at all yesterday. Still don't get it with him. 

Wasn’t great. I think he is better playing deep rather than in the front 3.

As poor as he was he’s the only player that can create something out of nothing like Kent with that shot in the second half.

10 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Hagi is a luxury player and most luxury players have some degree of inconsistency in their performances. 

There will be games like the one yesterday where he doesn’t do much and there will be ones like the Livingston one where he drags us through it with a moment of magic.

Hopefully as he gets older and more experienced his consistency improves but I would much rather have the option of a player who has the returns that he does in the squad as opposed to another player who grafts but ultimately lacks the quality needed to change games.

He's definitely a luxury player and his numbers would improve if he stayed inside. All day yesterday he wanted to go on the outside of Patterson rather than coming inside. Did it once and nearly scored. He has vision but he's very slow and needs a lot of work still.

14 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Hagi is a luxury player and most luxury players have some degree of inconsistency in their performances. 

There will be games like the one yesterday where he doesn’t do much and there will be ones like the Livingston one where he drags us through it with a moment of magic.

Hopefully as he gets older and more experienced his consistency improves but I would much rather have the option of a player who has the returns that he does in the squad as opposed to another player who grafts but ultimately lacks the quality needed to change games.

Agree with that but the same could be said for Aribo/Wright and Kent.

Any team can carry 1 of this type but not 3 or 4.

6 minutes ago, Malkytfp1 said:

He's definitely a luxury player and his numbers would improve if he stayed inside. All day yesterday he wanted to go on the outside of Patterson rather than coming inside. Did it once and nearly scored. He has vision but he's very slow and needs a lot of work still.

As I’ve posted before mate I’m not his biggest fan. He does have skill and shows it now and again. Let’s be honest in some games he’s fuckin rotten. Still better than Wright and Sakala I suppose.