*****Official Dundee v Champions Match Thread*****

BridgeIsBlue

38 minutes ago, YearsofWar said:

How many of those 16 "off target" shots were goal bound efforts that were blocked by the foot, shin, knee or body of one of their 5 centre backs?

9 blocked apparently, 7 off target, but its the idea that we aren't creating clear cut chances, its always a hurried shot, or a desperate attempt even if a defender is in front of us, 

How often in a game do we carve a team open, how often do you see any of our players 1v1 against the opposition keeper, not many if any at all

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

9 blocked apparently, 7 off target, but its the idea that we aren't creating clear cut chances, its always a hurried shot, or a desperate attempt even if a defender is in front of us, 

How often in a game do we carve a team open, how often do you see any of our players 1v1 against the opposition keeper, not many if any at all

We always take that extra touch all over the field so doing it infront of goals no shock.

2 minutes ago, The Godfather said:

I already mentioned we didn't play well but that doesn't matter when you get the 3 points. At the end of the day that's all that's ever going to matter in the league. 

We are out in front and pulling further ahead, winning breeds confidence and puts all the pressure back on a club begging for an away win. 

Folk go on about their meltdowns but looking in here today's there plenty of us embarassing themselves. 

Not so much a meltdown, but its the fact we have still to play the likes of hibs, hearts and the sheep in the league, we laugh at the tarriers not winning away this season, arguably two of their toughest opponents and the 3rd was a venue they haven't won at in years

Its like we don't seem to be trying anything other than small tweaks to the system and simply trying players everywhere hoping something works, we never really try to surprise an opponent, or throw their plans out the window by doing something unexpected, take the malmo home game, they went down to ten men and simply flooded the middle of the park knowing wed just luml cross after cross into the box till the full time whistle

16 minutes ago, Bronzy said:

Don’t know how these folk coped during Walter’s second spell when we were winning like that every other week :lol:

Probably because walters second spell he won 3 titles, 3 league cups and 2 scottish cups in 4 and a half years, plus a European final and 3 CL group stages 

Performances like today are a copy of gerrards first two seasons when he won nothing, and what probably annoys people more is that last season he tweaked is various times to change it up and it worked, it brought out performances and wins

This season we dont seem to be wanting to try anything different, 

I'd like to see our players getting back to doing the simple things properly.
Difficult trying to live up to last season if no-one is playing with confidence.
I've always felt Goldson has more than one mistake in him.
Ironic, his shouting at everyone else, when he should be addressing his own shortcomings.

37 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

That was an unacceptable performance today.  Maybe you think it OK but I don't.  There is no meltdown or drama, just realism which you definitely need.   

Our  last three visits there in the league have been two defeats and a draw , not been an easy ground for us in recent years.

45 minutes ago, Smile said:

We always take that extra touch all over the field so doing it infront of goals no shock.

I would have said the extra 5 touches which makes forwards runs futile and enables opposition defences time to set the block. Pre covid, post Dubai play.

1 hour ago, Dickie said:

We’ve played 14 games so it’s hardly the start of the season.

The 2 worst players on the park were tav and goldson neither of whom were on international duties. Gerrard has brought in bassey as barasic has been awful but tav gets away with murder because he’s captain.

Last season if we scored first then you were always confident that the game was won but that defensive display today was criminal and against the worst team we’re likely to face this season was utterly unacceptable.

Today wasn’t us grinding out a result it was us riding our luck.

6 games into the league season fs aye we’ve been poor for the most part, my point stands regarding problems we’ve had with covid, injuries and disruption to our pre season, we’ve had an unsettled start. I still think we’ve to settle and get into our stride. Aye it’s taking longer than expected. I never said Tav and Goldson where on international duty I said Goldson needs to get his shit together and I agree Tav also needs to step up. 

I’m not ready to pish the bed yet.

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Probably because walters second spell he won 3 titles, 3 league cups and 2 scottish cups in 4 and a half years, plus a European final and 3 CL group stages 

Performances like today are a copy of gerrards first two seasons when he won nothing, and what probably annoys people more is that last season he tweaked is various times to change it up and it worked, it brought out performances and wins

This season we dont seem to be wanting to try anything different, 

What annoys people as well is our second string in an attacking formation would destroy the likes of Dundee so why are we not just going for it.

52 minutes ago, bluenoz said:

Gerrard was my hero as a player but I've went right off him lately.

First of all, he says there are positives from today. In similar, he said we have made progress from the Bayer L defeat to the Lyon defeat. Both wrong.

Secondly, he laughed at people being critical of John Lundstram. He was terrible in the beginning, especially against Malmo and Lyon and deserved the negative reviews. Lately, he has been really good and earning plenty of plaudits from the fans including me.

Does he really believe we will just turn it on this Thursday against Sparta? Because I haven't seen anything yet this season that would remotely suggest that.

I get that he wants to defend the team and players but that post match interview was bull shit.

He'll back the oil tanker till his death bed as it was his signing. The guy he wanted in. And said oil tanker will look good because the rest are a fucking horror show right now.

Easy to be the guy who makes them 4/5 yard passes, sits in front of the back 4, playing against the shitest team in the league. 

3 points is 3 points at the end of the day but a better opposition would've seen us leave with no points.

McLaughlin bailing us out for a clean sheet was the only positive about our team today. The only one.

I do think we’ve carried a lot of fitness and injury problems into this season. Barisic seemed absolutely knackered around March/April - I think he even got rested for a game or two just for being knackered - and then he’s gone to the Euros and I’m not sure he’s had the rest he’s been needing for 6+ months since. Same goes for Tav, Helander, and probably several others.