*****Official Sparta Prague v Champions Match Thread*****

BridgeIsBlue

9 minutes ago, SkylineBlue said:

We're 6 points better off because they've had their worst start to a season in 20 odd years, not because we're playing well and smashing teams. Ultimately the only thing that matters is picking up the points no doubt, but picking up points from being this poor won't least a season, imo.

Hopefully we can get our act together as we know that the players are capable of far higher levels of performance. 👍

6 minutes ago, Davidorrp said:

Sakala would be a great attacker for a midfielder that breaks the lines and feed thru balls for him to run on to or allows him to come short for 1-2s to then turn and run thru. But it seems none of our midfield can do that. Someone mentioned Aribo dithering on ball early in first half when Sakala was standing in gap between 2 defenders waiting in a quick pass. I was screaming at Aribo on telly at time,  “first time!!’. But he took several touches instead.  ”We need midfielders to react quicker, play first time passes and play the boy thru. Hopeful  punts to him when he’s got a defender up his jacksy don’t help the lad. 

No doubt man, the service wasn't great either:lol:

Just on Aribo while we're on him we need him start him much further up the park and off the right. A kind of similar point to the one I had with Roofe. We find these guys their best roles and just start messing about with them for no reason.

The only time I'd play Aribo so deep would be on the left centre side with Lundstram on the right centre side with Kamara or Davis in between. They can both cover the full backs but both take turns going forward. Anywhere else in a deeper midfield role Aribo is pretty much anonymous.

However, like you say none of this stops him from just passing a ball faster. He does like the game quite close and tight knit where as players like Hagi, Kent and Davis (not so much recently) are much more willing to play an adventurous pass.

1 minute ago, Bad Robot said:

Attackers lose Bassey quite easy but hopefully that comes for him 

I thought Bassey, on the whole, got pass marks, and was maybe better than Balogun.

The hardest partnership to develop in football is between your two central defenders and it’s totally unfair to judge him on his first CH appearance away from home in Europe.

If we’re looking to ‘blame’ players, then the experienced Tav, Davis, Roofe, even Aribo were bigger liabilities tonight.

The team selection tonight was baffling.  No idea what the management team thought that line up would produce.   We have regressed with poor signings none of whom have shown they are any better than what we had.   I worry about the manager and his assistants as none of them appear to know how to change a game.   Our policy of buy cheap, sell dear, has yet to achieve that aim with any player.  Frankly I have little faith in our recruitment.  Tonight Bassey was found out at CB.  Can't head a ball, timing is abject. His reading of a game is woeful.  No idea how anyone thinks he's a player at LB or CB.   We haven't played well in any game this season so far.

9 minutes ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Out of interest, would you have given up Manchester after say we'd finished last in the CL group in exchange for winning the treble that season?

You’re looking at it from the end of a season there. At the start of that season there’s no way anyone seen us getting to a European final, so yes I would have taken a treble back then too.

Manchester was a final btw, it wasn’t a quarter final which you said you’d give up a treble for 

2 minutes ago, JCDBigBear said:

The team selection tonight was baffling.  No idea what the management team thought that line up would produce.   We have regressed with poor signings none of whom have shown they are any better than what we had.   I worry about the manager and his assistants as none of them appear to know how to change a game.   Our policy of buy cheap, sell dear, has yet to achieve that aim with any player.  Frankly I have little faith in our recruitment.  Tonight Bassey was found out at CB.  Can't head a ball, timing is abject. His reading of a game is woeful.  No idea how anyone thinks he's a player at LB or CB.   We haven't played well in any game this season so far.

Agreed mate. I thought the team selection was fuckin awful 

Just now, Willis said:

Sorry but booing someone isn't a racial attack fs

It kinda is when it's only the black players getting booed. 

What the fuck do they have against Calvin Bassey other than the colour of his skin