Gerrard Reaction

Sunglasses Ron

10 hours ago, ritchieshearercaldow said:

Walter Smith?

Walter had a decent team and knew what to do with all of them.The generation of players now have their head turned too easy and don’t have that long term focus.

I would say that Borna is a real dedicated Rangers player however he needs an in form team around him to keep his confidence high.

1 hour ago, CR3 said:

I get the feeling we want the Europa League out the way because the dangling carrot of 30-40 Mil would come anyway with an automatic champions league place. Seems more concerned with Sunday and probably rightly so. (imo)

I’m more concerned with Sunday aswell because we are fucking absolutely shit 

1 hour ago, CR3 said:

I get the feeling we want the Europa League out the way because the dangling carrot of 30-40 Mil would come anyway with an automatic champions league place. Seems more concerned with Sunday and probably rightly so. (imo)

I imagine not even reaching the CL playoff has badly hurt us financially, just beating Malmö was going to net us about £5-6million from UEFA. 

Wouldn’t surprise me if Gerrard has been told to win the league at all costs, but what I find surprising is that we’re so abject in that competition also. 

I think we’d all be a bit more understanding if we were horsing teams in the SPFL, but struggling to turn it on in Europe. But we were outplayed by fucking Dundee last time around…

12 hours ago, sassaaaa said:

His legacy ? In his fourth season and has won the grand total of one trophy !

to be fair, if there was one trophy we all wanted to win is was the one he delivered. that in itself is a legacy.

needs to push on and deliver more silverware now otherwise his 'legacy' will be diluted

Latest press conference (youtube)and the manager bemoaning the lack of spending in the last two transfer windows and how we need to spend to be able to compete in Europe never mind win.

Fair points,both but doesn't explain our poor domestic form at present.Hopefully a good performance on Sunday will get us back on track....onwards..

56 minutes ago, BlackpoolBear1952 said:

Latest press conference (youtube)and the manager bemoaning the lack of spending in the last two transfer windows and how we need to spend to be able to compete in Europe never mind win.

Fair points,both but doesn't explain our poor domestic form at present.Hopefully a good performance on Sunday will get us back on track....onwards..

How much did Malmo and Slavia spend in the summer? 

He is beginning to act like Warburton now. His point is just a bullshit excuse.

53 minutes ago, BlackpoolBear1952 said:

He's talking absolute shit IMO, yes there has been a lack of spending but we spent more than enough for our budget last summer to get 55.

We have more than competed in Europe these last 3 season's even beating the likes of Porto and Feyenoord but this season we can't compete with the likes of Malmo & Sparta Prague? Give it a rest and look at your own shortcomings before trying to shift the blame on to the board. 

Reckon he knows its not good enough but if you have some players low in confidence, then battering them in public does not improve that confidence and get players thinking they are good again.

Our defence was not our first choice. 

League is the important thing. We have to see what the backroom staff can do to ensure that is won.

1 hour ago, BlackpoolBear1952 said:

Spending money argument is fine when you’re playing Lyon though it still didn’t excuse the non effort we put on that night 

Doesn’t wash when you’re getting embarrassed by Malmö, Sparta Prague and dare I say it Brondby 

Poor recruitment has had a lot to do with the poor season so far. Simpson, Wright, Bocuna, Lundstrum and Ofoborm. No where near as good as the recruitment in Gerrard's first 3 seasons and with the injuries and COVID issues this has had a big impact since all are poorer than the players we have (Ofoborm ?). Wilson and Gerrard have to shoulder the responsibility for this but if the board have limited recruitment to free transfers only and have blocked any transfers requiring a meaningful fee that is some mitigation since it is quite difficult to improve a decent team, which we are when at full strength, with that remit. I think that is the message Gerrard is trying to get across.

We are going to have to do a lot better in the next few transfer windows since we do need to refresh the team.

18 minutes ago, bassettger said:

Poor recruitment has had a lot to do with the poor season so far. Simpson, Wright, Bocuna, Lundstrum and Ofoborm. No where near as good as the recruitment in Gerrard's first 3 seasons and with the injuries and COVID issues this has had a big impact since all are poorer than the players we have (Ofoborm ?). Wilson and Gerrard have to shoulder the responsibility for this but if the board have limited recruitment to free transfers only and have blocked any transfers requiring a meaningful fee that is some mitigation since it is quite difficult to improve a decent team, which we are when at full strength, with that remit. I think that is the message Gerrard is trying to get across.

We are going to have to do a lot better in the next few transfer windows since we do need to refresh the team.

I put on another thread, would be interesting to compare Ross Wilsons good signings to bad - think we might get a shock 

23 hours ago, The Archer said:

Hagi should be a number 8 every game and we should be building a team around him including Patterson,Alfie and Borna

Hagi like most others did fuck all on Thursday. Add Alfie to that too.

Borna is a player who thrives in a winning, confident team but rarely is the go to guy if we're in the trenches.

Patterson also has been hit and miss but given Tav is offering so little probably deserves another chance.

Most of our senior players have been rank this season. None are consistently getting pass marks let alone motm awards. For all the criticisms of the new players, the leaders that Gerrard likes to refer to are letting us down big time.

2 hours ago, bassettger said:

I disagree.  Pay peanuts you get monkeys there has never been a truer statement  Quality costs serious money  I feel the manager knows that last season he hit the ceiling and has taken us as far as he can  to go to next level takes investment and we are skint to keep evolving and improving we need to recruit 2 quality players a season they cost 5m. upwards   Failing that our recruitment has to be spot on and we should be snapping up the best young talent in scotland  we should have signed Ferguson before he went to the sheep Nisbet before he went to Hibs  even now Souter is out of contract at Hearts next season we should be offering him a pre contract but we won’t we will go on with rubbish from England like Simpson 

I can see both sides. Gerrard isn't going to throw his squad under the bus publicly but he will know that both they and he have underperformed and made bad decisions this season. I think 55 was the pinnacle of the journey we have been on so far. Yet if you look at the preceding seasons it was clear we were gradually closing the gap and spending decent money to do so on a backdrop of solid free transfers like Jack etc. Some players came and went but they were generally low risk. We spent a lot of money on guys like Barisic and Kent. This close season we have spent basically nothing and frankly it shows. We have asked a lot of our squad in recent seasons and players are not getting younger and some are injury prone. We have gone from a reasonably consistent starting 11 to rotations and constant chopping and changing. COVID has played a part but every team has to contend with that. It is a reasonable argument that we should still be performing much better in spite of everything. When all of the above is considered for me we really needed another significant addition over the summer not only to shore up the starting 11 but to lift the while squad again. That didn't come for whatever reason hence I think Gerrard's subtle message to the board. There is so much riding on this season now, and 56 is crucial for many reasons.    

18 minutes ago, DiamondDan said:

Doesn't explain European performances either, we have spent about 20 times more cash than Malmo have in recent years.

I agree that we should have won but better sides than us have come unstuck against Scandinavian sides in the qualifiers. Their league is a higher standard than many think but more importantly their season runs March-November so their sides are always right up to speed when you get them at what is very early in our season. 

1 hour ago, GeeSS said:

I disagree.  Pay peanuts you get monkeys there has never been a truer statement  Quality costs serious money  I feel the manager knows that last season he hit the ceiling and has taken us as far as he can  to go to next level takes investment and we are skint to keep evolving and improving we need to recruit 2 quality players a season they cost 5m. upwards   Failing that our recruitment has to be spot on and we should be snapping up the best young talent in scotland  we should have signed Ferguson before he went to the sheep Nisbet before he went to Hibs  even now Souter is out of contract at Hearts next season we should be offering him a pre contract but we won’t we will go on with rubbish from England like Simpson 

The kind of investment needed for quailty either required champions league money or 1-2 big players to be sold. 

That we couldn't do either meant reigned in spending. 

I agree about trying to land more home grown talent.

Ferguson I don't see the big deal with. Take away the name and he's just another average midfielder.

Nisbet I'm sure is a taig doubt he would sign.

Souttar a shout. If he's past the worst of his injuries could be a good player for us and addition to the home grown count for Europe.

5 hours ago, DiamondDan said:

If Lewis Ferguson was called Lewis Smith,  nobody would ever be calling for him to be signed.

You're right. But that aside he's also playing for a club with one of the worst runs in Scotland. They're shite, he's shite, can we please move on to credible options.

14 hours ago, bassettger said:

Add Sakala to that list.

Wouldn't it be better to sign one player who will make a real positive improvement than half a dozen who are squad players at best, none of whom are any better than what we have?

28 minutes ago, The Specky Liar said:

Haven't seen Hearts this season so can't comment but judging on the reviews he's getting, Simpson being shite and the homegrown quota I'd be surprised if Souttar wasn't someone we had half an eye on

Soutar has been around for years and the prospect that never did leave for England like most outwith us and the tarriers. Didn't play yesterday and has had some serious injuries