Gerrard Reaction

Sunglasses Ron

5 hours ago, shaka said:

With some of the players we have signed recently, we should really have saved the money for one or two top players and filled the squad with youth players.  Instead we signed squad fillers who are on decent money but will never be first choice.

As a club we don't seem to show any confidence in players from our academy and put a huge amount of credit on experience even when they are struggling with form, fitness or just not good enough.

For example signing a player like Simpson made no sense.  Surely we have someone who could've stepped up from the youth team and probably out performed him.  Now to continue keeping him in the squad when he's clearly not good enough makes even less sense.  He might be older and more experienced than the guys from the youth team but I highly doubt he's better than any of them.

I think if Wilson/Gerrard had been given the option they would have signed one or two top players rather than squad fillers. I think the board did not want to, or felt they could not afford to, pay the £5 million + in transfer fees. As you point out the result is we now have a load of squad fillers on good wages that we will struggle to move on (familiar story). The recruitment has been poor and Simpson looks the worst of the lot. I would hope we have youth players that are better than that, otherwise they won't be making the grade. We need a couple to make the step up with Nathan Paterson in the next couple of years.

1 hour ago, bassettger said:

I think if Wilson/Gerrard had been given the option they would have signed one or two top players rather than squad fillers. I think the board did not want to, or felt they could not afford to, pay the £5 million + in transfer fees. As you point out the result is we now have a load of squad fillers on good wages that we will struggle to move on (familiar story). The recruitment has been poor and Simpson looks the worst of the lot. I would hope we have youth players that are better than that, otherwise they won't be making the grade. We need a couple to make the step up with Nathan Paterson in the next couple of years.

Had we qualified for the play off round of the CL, we’d have got an extra £5-6million from Uefa immediately. 

I think that was the bare minimum the board thought we’d achieve especially when we drew Malmö, which is why the links with Veerman continued. Had we qualified for the CL, I’d argue him and one other player would have been signed at a decent fee, maybe with someone leaving. 

Bacuna screamed of bringing in someone to fill a squad position, the worry is that the likes of Sakala, Simpson etc all seem to have done the same. It’s summer 18/19 all over again

8 hours ago, The Specky Liar said:

Haven't seen Hearts this season so can't comment but judging on the reviews he's getting, Simpson being shite and the homegrown quota I'd be surprised if Souttar wasn't someone we had half an eye on

If he could stay fit I'd love him at Ibrox.

11 hours ago, bassettger said:

If we signed squad fillers on decent wages that will ve hard to move on, then Wilson needs held accountable, just because the board didnt sanction any big spend doesn't mean he should just fill the squad with crap, hell we paid money to get simpson here in january, what a fucking deal that was lol

I've always thought the players came back to camp looking tired. So much of winning 55 was mentally draining.  Specifically Tav, Davis, Aribo and Kamara all look tired to me.

Yesterday, I saw a few small signs that our energy levels might be returning. I think Gerrard digested the reporters comment about the team having no life. For example, rotating Davis & Lundstram is probably a good idea to get the best out of both of them. And now he admits Aribo and Kamara have played too much in the past year. Glad to see he has pinpointed this.

On 03/10/2021 at 18:01, Bears r us said:

I hope the reaction from him, Gary and many of the players at the end means they realise how important that result was and now get back to playing how we should be S. :thumbup:

absolutely spot on, I love how much passion and love he has for this great club WATP