Saudi takeover of Newcastle United

Essandoh

4 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

(Those 3 players are Saint-Maximin, Almiron and Lascelles btw, purely because of what he signifies to the club rather than football ability)

I would include Willock in there too. I think he’s quite a good player and he’s young enough to develop a little bit more if they get the right coach and players in there to help him.

2 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Personally I don't rate Almiron at all and arguably Callum Wilson is their best player.

I don’t rate Almirion either tbh.

I like Wilson, good striker, but he’s so injury prone. He’ll avoid the initial purge for sure but you expect them to become less reliant on him over the next couple of windows.

13 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

because there's literally 3 players in the entire squad who are good enough for where the club wants to go and even then they'll be squad/bench players :lol:

I honestly think they'd struggle to beat us although watching Saint-Maximin against Barisic wouldn't be pretty viewing :lol:

My point stands. Same could be said for our squads in the lower divisions 

7 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Personally I don't rate Almiron at all and arguably Callum Wilson is their best player.

5 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I would include Willock in there too. I think he’s quite a good player and he’s young enough to develop a little bit more if they get the right coach and players in there to help him.

3 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

I don’t rate Almirion either tbh.

I like Wilson, good striker, but he’s so injury prone. He’ll avoid the initial purge for sure but you expect them to become less reliant on him over the next couple of windows.

I don't know if Willock is that good but yes he'd probably get to stick around for a while, forgot about him. 70+ games for Arsenal and they were very happy to let him go. An Arsenal supporting pal said he was nowhere near the level required to get back to where they want to be.

I think Almiron's pace and trickery would be utilised by a more possession-based manager - like, in my head, I'm picturing Almiron's effectiveness in a Sane/Sterling type role in Pep's teams. I think he could be useful, iirc Pep gave Bojan a fair bit of game time when he initially came in before ultimately replacing with a higher standard of player

27 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

I don't know if Willock is that good but yes he'd probably get to stick around for a while, forgot about him. 70+ games for Arsenal and they were very happy to let him go. An Arsenal supporting pal said he was nowhere near the level required to get back to where they want to be.

I think Almiron's pace and trickery would be utilised by a more possession-based manager - like, in my head, I'm picturing Almiron's effectiveness in a Sane/Sterling type role in Pep's teams. I think he could be useful, iirc Pep gave Bojan a fair bit of game time when he initially came in before ultimately replacing with a higher standard of player

Bojan was insanely good as a teenager. He looked to be as good as Messi in 07/08 despite being a few years younger than him.

If I was handed that job I would be trying to get Max Aarons and Joakim Maehle in as my fullbacks and trying a move for Van Der Beek from Man Utd for midfield too.

Maybe not the biggest names, but I think if they want to do it right then they need to mainly get guys who are between 21-25, and talented, who can come in and grow as a team together.

Certainly it's good for them to be rid of Ashley but the new owners are questionable to say the least. What they will do is invest but it is by no means certain that Newcastle will win anything. Certainly the timing of the takeover is not helpful. 

They can't sign anyone until January and by then they will likely still be in the bottom half of the league. They will not make top 6 this season. Because of that they will struggle to bring in top players who will want Champions League football this season and next. Beyond that and looking at next season, it is again by no means certain they will hit top 6 or even 4 given the head start other sides have. Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs or even Leicester etc have far better sides currently. They need a total rebuild and if you were a top player would you want to come to Newcastle over one of the London clubs.  

It's the same with the manager. Will a top manager come into a relegation battle this season when he can't sign anyone until Jan. Then who will want to come in knowing he is probably going to be moved on at the end of the season. Will be interesting. 

34 minutes ago, DrLaudrup said:

Certainly it's good for them to be rid of Ashley but the new owners are questionable to say the least. What they will do is invest but it is by no means certain that Newcastle will win anything. Certainly the timing of the takeover is not helpful. 

They can't sign anyone until January and by then they will likely still be in the bottom half of the league. They will not make top 6 this season. Because of that they will struggle to bring in top players who will want Champions League football this season and next. Beyond that and looking at next season, it is again by no means certain they will hit top 6 or even 4 given the head start other sides have. Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City, Arsenal, Spurs or even Leicester etc have far better sides currently. They need a total rebuild and if you were a top player would you want to come to Newcastle over one of the London clubs.  

It's the same with the manager. Will a top manager come into a relegation battle this season when he can't sign anyone until Jan. Then who will want to come in knowing he is probably going to be moved on at the end of the season. Will be interesting. 

What they really need to do is get the infrastructure right first.

People are already talking about who the manager is going to be when what they should really be doing first is getting a sporting director in who has the vision and/or track record of identifying younger talent who develop into top players and a coach who has a reputation for bettering the players he works with.

Getting a manager and then building the infrastructure around it is putting the card before the horse. 

If it was me my shortlist would be Luis Campos, Paul Mitchell and Michael Edwards. They have the money now to attract all three of them.

9 hours ago, DBBTB said:

What they really need to do is get the infrastructure right first.

People are already talking about who the manager is going to be when what they should really be doing first is getting a sporting director in who has the vision and/or track record of identifying younger talent who develop into top players and a coach who has a reputation for bettering the players he works with.

Getting a manager and then building the infrastructure around it is putting the card before the horse. 

If it was me my shortlist would be Luis Campos, Paul Mitchell and Michael Edwards. They have the money now to attract all three of them.

Yeah long term they need the infrastructure in place to develop and attract top talent. 

Short term they need a better manager than Bruce. Someone that can keep them up and essentially be a transitional manager. 

10 hours ago, BlueKnight87 said:

Yeah long term they need the infrastructure in place to develop and attract top talent. 

Short term they need a better manager than Bruce. Someone that can keep them up and essentially be a transitional manager. 

True but what top manager is going to go there an say an 18 month contract?

Premier League clubs have voted to temporarily block teams agreeing lucrative sponsorship deals linked to a club's owners after the Saudi Arabia-backed £305m takeover of Newcastle.

Eighteen clubs voted in favour of the ban at an emergency meeting on Monday.

Newcastle voted against and Manchester City abstained, with both questioning the legality of the move.

It means a temporary one-month ban on deals linked to club owners while the issue is debated further.

Top-flight teams complained to the league after the Newcastle takeover was completed on 7 October because of frustration about how the deal passed the owners' and directors' test.

Last week, Leeds owner Andrea Radrizzani said Financial Fair Play rules must be enforced around the takeover to ensure the 20 Premier League clubs are "playing the same game".

The Premier League said it approved the takeover after receiving "legally binding assurances" that the Saudi state would not control the club.

The Public Investment Fund (PIF), which will provide 80% of funds for the deal, is seen as separate to the state.

This is despite the Crown Prince of Saudi Arabia, Mohammed bin Salman, being listed as chair of PIF.