Shagger

plymouthranger

It doesn't help that at the moment we need a barrowload of chances to get 1 goal and so the goal keeping performance has to be virtually flawless for us to get the points ... but a bit like prime ministers a lot of football players eventually have to be pushed because they just can't see the signs until it's too late

On 17/10/2021 at 16:06, ForeverAndEver said:

He didn’t pull off two outstanding saves though, he made saves he should be making.

Nobody has gave Morelos a free ride mate,  everybody’s said he’s had a shocker and should’ve scored a couple.

Gerrard gave him a free ride by keeping him on the park.

2 hours ago, Prso's headband said:

I think it’s strange in the sense that I wouldn’t expect McLaughlin to make the save McGregor did from Mckay, but McLaughlin would’ve claimed the cross with ease. 

I'd agree with this, McLaughlin seems to have hands like shovels and holds the ball well, shagger has become over reliant on punching the ball away, although his ability in one on ones and reactive saves is superb.

19 hours ago, bluenose48 said:

So shagger made one mistake all game made three other point blank saves. I think had the strikers done their job and converted at least a third of the chances they botched the one mistake he made wouldn't have mattered.

That's exactly what Gerrard said in his interview. 

4 hours ago, hammer93 said:

Shagger also made a top class save in the first half.....it turned out to be offside but he didn't know that at the time

He’s saved us hundreds of times but he’s getting older and it’s inevitable he’ll make mistakes more frequently. 

Just can't criticise him to be honest, the amount of times he's saved us is staggering, more annoyed with our strikers, we've been getting away with murder lately with hivs getting man sent off and Dundee missing penalty,  we won't win this league if we keep playing like this.

On 18/10/2021 at 17:58, STRUTH82 said:

I'd agree with this, McLaughlin seems to have hands like shovels and holds the ball well, shagger has become over reliant on punching the ball away, although his ability in one on ones and reactive saves is superb.

For a goalie of his style to be still performing at his age is fantastic. He still has top class reactions and reflexes.

McGregor has never been a particularly great keeper technically, not bad by any means, but he has always been an instinctive and reflex goalie and that and lack of a few inches of height that probably prevented him going on to be a truely elite keeper in the modern game. Reflex and reaction wise, he is as good as the best of them.

It's usually the guys who can fall back on the technical side that can go on for a long long time, after they've lost that little bit of reflex.