Jump to content

This team late in games


MacBoyd
 Share

Recommended Posts

How many last gasp equalisers have we conceded under Gerrard? It was something that happened early in his time and has never really stopped. 

When we are losing or drawing, how many times does a game just fizzle out with no real onslaught from us? We very rarely score late winners.

Is this a physical, mental or tactical thing?

Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Glory awaits said:

It all boils down to not taking chances in games,  the best teams in Europe only 1 up in dying minutes will sit back.

Chelsea yesterday was a good example.   
Brentford were relentless at the end but Chelsea held out.  
As much of a psychological strength as footballing/defending one.  

HG5 and BookWorm like this
Link to post
Share on other sites

49 minutes ago, Amokachi said:

Chelsea yesterday was a good example.   
Brentford were relentless at the end but Chelsea held out.  
As much of a psychological strength as footballing/defending one.  

Chelsea held out mainly due to their keeper Mendy and the woodwork. Brentford destroyed that defence.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Fitness levels seem an issue. Lundstrum ( who was superb most of the game ) seemed to hit a wall about 70-80 min. Not singling him out but just an example. If we can’t get a second goal there’s a high chance we’ll drop points 

JCDBigBear likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

How many last gasp equalisers have we conceded under Gerrard? It was something that happened early in his time and has never really stopped. 

When we are losing or drawing, how many times does a game just fizzle out with no real onslaught from us? We very rarely score late winners.

Is this a physical, mental or tactical thing?

You are right; even last season late goals conceded in Europe and domestically against St Johnstone spring to mind but these were sloppy mistakes. This season the team now sit back and stop pressing almost inviting crosses, runs and shots. Last season we could control most games by keeping possession, this season the tactic is sit back and hope.

Amokachi and MacBoyd like this
Link to post
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

Chelsea held out mainly due to their keeper Mendy and the woodwork. Brentford destroyed that defence.

Think there were more factors than that but they held out nonetheless which was the point I was making. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a frailty about us this season where I always think we will concede 1 or 2 a game now, so we really need to be scoring 2 or 3 to win games which doesn't look likely either. For as poor as the players have been this season Gerrards decision making and team selections have been equally as bad. The substitutions yesterday changed the game to our detriment and it's been the story of our season with subs not making any impact(hivs game exception). 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Its certainly an issue , we could see it coming yesterday and there was no reason for it , as I thought we'd played very well before that.  

But for some reason , if we're not a couple of goals up by 70 minutes , we look as if we decide to just hold on to what we've got , and invite the opposition on top of us . 

Fine if we're good enough to succeed , but we're clearly not , as its happened far too often . 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, MacBoyd said:

Is this a physical, mental or tactical thing?

On this occasion I would say it was a management  thing the gaffer ripped the guts out of a team that was actually playing quite well apart from misfiring strikers.

Yes his new signings need game time to integrate them but it's up to the management  team to get the team playing well enough to create  a platform for these lads to play not a top of the table clash with only a single goal lead.

JCDBigBear and HG5 like this
Link to post
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

That doesn’t matter. This is our buffer period, the easier first Q of the season went to us. We should’ve been 9+ points in front of them come mid November going into the hardest part of the season where we play all of the usual top 6 away from home, Livingston Hibs, Hearts, Aberdeen and them. 
 

We’re making this so much harder than it needs to be, to the point now where I’d actually be surprised if we were top going into that run from 28th November to 2nd January. That really isn’t good enough when you see the standard of opposition that’s running us close at the moment

Season started at the end of July and we still haven't got going, beyond a joke. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We're failing to keep things solid at the back. 9 league games and we've only managed 3 clean sheets. We can't look to grind out 1-0 wins conceding goals like we have been. 

The other issue for me is we are sitting too deep. We aren't pushing up enough and making things difficult for the opposition late in games. Just letting them come onto us.

That's an issue with tactical instructions and fitness.

gmcf, JCDBigBear and HG5 like this
Link to post
Share on other sites

The team have been trying to do just enough in games this season, alot of the time as soon as we score we start trying to cruise it, it'll work some of the time but it's already caught us out twice at Ibrox, There's been changes implomented and we've become poorer for it imo.

JCDBigBear likes this
Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BlueKnight87 said:

We're failing to keep things solid at the back. 9 league games and we've only managed 3 clean sheets. We can't look to grind out 1-0 wins conceding goals like we have been. 

The other issue for me is we are sitting too deep. We aren't pushing up enough and making things difficult for the opposition late in games. Just letting them come onto us.

That's an issue with tactical instructions and fitness.

We have to go long when we’re under the cosh problem is the ball isn’t sticking to Alfredo anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Upcoming Events

    • 09 December 2021 17:45 Until 19:45
      0  
      Lyon v Rangers
      Stade des Lumieres
      UEFA Europa League
×
×
  • Create New...