Gerrard's transfers - hit or miss?

The Dude

Gerrard's signings - Hit or Miss?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Gerrard's signings - Hit or Miss?

• Hit
    • Miss
    • Somewhere in between

Following on from another thread discussing players who should be moved on, it got me thinking about out transfer business under Gerrard. 42 first-team players have arrived either on loan or permanently, but how many have been an overall success?

Scott Arfield

Allan McGregor

Jamie Murphy

Niko Katic

Connor Goldson

Jon Flanagan

Borna Barisic

Kyle Lafferty

Eros Grezda

Gareth McAuley

Matt Polster

Andy Firth

Glan Kamara

Ovie Ejaria

Umar Sadiq

Lassana Coulibaly

Ryan Kent

Steven Davis

Jermain Defoe

Joe Worrall

Jake Hastie

Jordan Jones

Greg Stewart

George Edmundson

Joe Aribo

Fil Helander

Brandon Barker

Sheyi Ojo

Andy King

Ianis Hagi

Flo Kamberi

Calvin Bassey

Jon McLaughlin

Leon Balogun

Kemar Roofe

Cedric Itten

Bongani Zungu

Jack Simpson

Scott Wright

Nnamdi Ofoborh

Fashion Sakala

John Lundstram

Juninho Bacuna

I don't think Gerrard was helped initially by Mark Allen. His identification of targets was horrific. Also have to consider the fact we haven't paid over £5m for any one transfer and safely say the majority of them transfers have been free.

Out of that list I counted 14 successes out of 42 with 2 still undecided due to lack of game time.

9 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Following on from another thread discussing players who should be moved on, it got me thinking about out transfer business under Gerrard. 42 first-team players have arrived either on loan or permanently, but how many have been an overall success?

Scott Arfield

Allan McGregor

Jamie Murphy

Niko Katic

Connor Goldson

Jon Flanagan

Borna Barisic

Kyle Lafferty

Eros Grezda

Gareth McAuley

Matt Polster

Andy Firth

Glan Kamara

Ovie Ejaria

Umar Sadiq

Lassana Coulibaly

Ryan Kent

Steven Davis

Jermain Defoe

Joe Worrall

Jake Hastie

Jordan Jones

Greg Stewart

George Edmundson

Joe Aribo

Fil Helander

Brandon Barker

Sheyi Ojo

Andy King

Ianis Hagi

Flo Kamberi

Calvin Bassey

Jon McLaughlin

Leon Balogun

Kemar Roofe

Bongani Zungu

Jack Simpson

Scott Wright

Nnamdi Ofoborh

Fashion Sakala

John Lundstram

Juninho Bacuna

I actually asked this on another thread ( couldn't be bother putting in the effort you have to compile a list ) but I used Ross Wilson not Gerrard and when I see this list more bad than good signings 

12 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

I don't think Gerrard was helped initially by Mark Allen. His identification of targets was horrific. Also have to consider the fact we haven't paid over £5m for any one transfer and safely say the majority of them transfers have been free.

Out of that list I counted 14 successes out of 42 with 2 still undecided due to lack of game time.

About 16ish for me. 

We’ve wasted a huge amount of money in wages and not made much back in transfer fees, but we operated on a shoe string compared with the filth (and are still spending less I think) particularly at the start of the rebuild. Spend less and it’s likely to be hit and miss. 

Sure there’s a saying of 1 in 2 transfers working out is a success. Might have been SAF. 

15 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Sounds like a hit followed by miss miss miss then another hit mate. 😉

There’s more miss than hits and that’s concerning. You can’t get every transfer right but you should really be aiming for every 7/10 players to be a success. We’re not near that, imo obviously. 

I’ve got 16 successes, the last 3 undecided and the rest misses. 

8 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

About 16ish for me. 

We’ve wasted a huge amount of money in wages and not made much back in transfer fees, but we operated on a shoe string compared with the filth (and are still spending less I think) particularly at the start of the rebuild. Spend less and it’s likely to be hit and miss. 

Sure there’s a saying of 1 in 2 transfers working out is a success. Might have been SAF. 

Would snap any DoFs hand off if he can bring in players that'll have a 50% success rate. We are spending less than the filth because they keep making alot of money on selling players where we make nothing.

4 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

Would snap any DoFs hand off if he can bring in players that'll have a 50% success rate. We are spending less than the filth because they keep making alot of money on selling players where we make nothing.

They had 8.75 years of success with minimal competition to build from though. Different starting points. 

I would look at it more objectively that when Gerrard came in we needed a complete rebuild give or take a few players.....a lot of the players on that list were mere squad players, realistically they were never going to be anything more

The important bit is the players most of us would class as a success featured heavily as we won the league last season at a canter, if we win the league again this season then all these wee debates are forgotten about until the next time we drop some points 

Lose the league and I guess everyone will be seen as a failure again :lol:

Are they Gerard’s signings? List is abysmal tbf, but it’s part of building a squad. We’re in a very different place now with Wilson IMO. Although we need Sakala and Bacuna to produce now. We also need Kent back, Wright, Aribo, Arfield, Roofe and Morelos to hit some form. All have been way below the standards required so far.

Some of those signings went on to be successful [not as horrific] elsewhere.

Never saw the game on Sat, we had around 27 shots and SG said we were looking like our old selves in the 1st half, no idea if that’s true or not.

Just now, Big Al 55 said:

Are they Gerard’s signings? List is abysmal tbf, but it’s part of building a squad. We’re in a very different place now with Wilson IMO. Although we need Sakala and Bacuna to produce now. We also need Kent back, Wright, Aribo, Arfield, Roofe and Morelos to hit some form. All have been way below the standards required so far.

Some of those signings went on to be successful [not as horrific] elsewhere.

Never saw the game on Sat, we had around 27 shots and SG said we were looking like our old selves in the 1st half, no idea if that’s true or not.

Best performance we’ve had all season. If Morelos wasn’t acting like Sebo we’d be raving about scudding Hearts by 3 or 4. 

47 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

About 16ish for me. 

It was indeed SAF. 16 of 42 is a fair bit off though.

7 minutes ago, Bigdave30 said:

What did people expect when a red arse manager was handed the reins to a big club like ours with absolutely zero experience at this level and then factor in how much is it actually the manager vs the sporting director.

We need better.

Everything the manager has said since he stepped foot in the door is he has final say on transfers. Sporting director/DoF identifies targets and does negotiations but manager has final refusal on any incomings.

50 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

There’s more miss than hits and that’s concerning. You can’t get every transfer right but you should really be aiming for every 7/10 players to be a success. We’re not near that, imo obviously. 

I’ve got 16 successes, the last 3 undecided and the rest misses. 

Think the split is always more likely to be closer to 50/50. Pretty sure Sir Alex Ferguson even said that. 

1 hour ago, esquire8 said:

Other than the 9m for Kent.

13 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Everything the manager has said since he stepped foot in the door is he has final say on transfers. Sporting director/DoF identifies targets and does negotiations but manager has final refusal on any incomings.

If the buck stops with him he better get his finger out his arse as there is some amount of utter dross on that list.