Gerrard's transfers - hit or miss?

The Dude

Gerrard's signings - Hit or Miss?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Gerrard's signings - Hit or Miss?

• Hit
    • Miss
    • Somewhere in between

It does look horrific but tbf it wasn't just a team we had to replace after the PC era , it was a squad . And with very little money , so the quality,  particularly in the beginning was always going to be temporary and something to improve on year on year .

I'd agree with the 16-18 mark , but I'd say he has a not too bad success rate  if it was players you would have chosen as FirstXI players we were considering . 

2 hours ago, esquire8 said:

I don't think Gerrard was helped initially by Mark Allen. His identification of targets was horrific. Also have to consider the fact we haven't paid over £5m for any one transfer and safely say the majority of them transfers have been free.

Out of that list I counted 14 successes out of 42 with 2 still undecided due to lack of game time.

Got 14 as well, mark allen takes a kicking but remember allen got in guys like kamara, goldson, barisic etc as well

I count about 16/17 successes out of that list personally. 

Could be lower because I’m not convinced about Wright yet, I think Balogun is a lot of the time quite shite and Lundstram has only began to turn my opinion of him around 

Pretty reluctant to give him credit for McGregor, Davis or Defoe either because they weren’t exactly risks.

Hits

McGregor, Goldson, Barisic, Kamara, Kent, Davis, Defoe Hagi, Balogun, Roofe, Helander, Aribo, Arfield

Misses

Flanagan, Lafferty, Grezda, McAuley, Polster, Firth, Sadiq, coulibaly, Worrall, Ejaria, Hastie, Sadiq, Jones, Stewart, Barker, Ojo, Kamberi, Ofoborh*, Simpson, King, Edmundson,

Probably missed one or two but think that's the jist of it.

3 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

I count about 16/17 successes out of that list personally. 

Could be lower because I’m not convinced about Wright yet, I think Balogun is a lot of the time quite shite and Lundstram has only began to turn my opinion of him around 

Pretty reluctant to give him credit for McGregor, Davis or Defoe either because they weren’t exactly risks.

Dunno about Davis tbh. Could easily have gone very badly for him and it took him a wee bit to really get up to speed and find his feet again after his initial loan move.

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Hits

McGregor, Goldson, Barisic, Kamara, Kent, Davis, Defoe Hagi, Balogun, Roofe, Helander, Aribo, Arfield

Misses

Flanagan, Lafferty, Grezda, McAuley, Polster, Firth, Sadiq, coulibaly, Worrall, Ejaria, Hastie, Sadiq, Jones, Stewart, Barker, Ojo, Kamberi, Ofoborh*, Simpson, King, Edmundson,

Probably missed one or two but think that's the jist of it.

Think that’s quite harsh on the likes of Bassey who has been quite solid recently, even McLaughlin who has done nothing wrong.

There’s also the question why bother adding in the likes of lundstram or the newest additions in the OP if they’re  automatically nowhere in your list 

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Dunno about Davis tbh. Could easily have gone very badly for him and it took him a wee bit to really get up to speed and find his feet again after his initial loan move.

Could have but I don’t see it as a risk as such. I’ve counted him in my list but it’s not a player I credit Gerrard and his team with finding themselves 

I think overall it's been fine. You'll never get them all right and I'm sure most other teams (City, United, Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Barcelona etc) for all their great signings will have similar or worse success stories to us.

I guess it depends on what or how you view a success. I'm pretty sure the likes of Flanagan, Ojo, Ejaria etc for example would be deemed failures, and that's a fair take but Flanagan was solid enough most of the time (for a back up and a free) and Ojo and Ejaria were key in important European games. A few probably fall into that category.

There's probably quite a few that just unfortunately didn't quite work overall for differing reasons, Murphy being one example. On paper it seemed decent. Just really unlucky with injuries. Most signings on paper seemed reasonable. There aren't too many from the list where I think, what the fuck is happening here. At varying times we just had to try to sign quantity, effectively back up players which is a tough market to get right.

For me the key is where we are now. I think we've got a really strong first 11. I think our depth, certainly domestically is really strong and I think we have a number of assets, financially speaking. I'm certainly not one to try to sell off any of our better players but not so long ago it felt like it was a conveyor belt of just paying off players one after the other.

Hits

Balogun, Roofe, McLaughlin, Helander, Hagi, Aribo, Kent, Davis, Defoe, Kamara, Barisic, Goldson, Katic, McGregor, Arfield

Miss

Simpson, Zungu, King, Kamberi, Ojo, Barker, Stewart, Edmundson, Jones, Hastie, Worrall, Coulibaly, Sadiq, Ejaria, Firth, Polster, Grezda, McAuley, Flanagan, Lafferty, Murphy

Unknown / TBC with more game time

Ofoborh, Sakala, Bacuna, Lundstram, Wright, Bassey

Excluding the unknown/tbc category, I've got 15 hits out of 36 players (42%). Need all 6 of the unknown/tbcs to become hits for the ratio to be 50%.

1 minute ago, .Williamson. said:

Think that’s quite harsh on the likes of Bassey who has been quite solid recently, even McLaughlin who has done nothing wrong.

There’s also the question why bother adding in the likes of lundstram or the newest additions in the OP if they’re  automatically nowhere in your list 

Everyone not on my list is on the somewhere in between. I just couldn't be fucked adding them all too and figured it would have been fairly obvious where the rest of them fitted in.

Bassey has been quite solid recently - although he's also had a couple fucking howlers -  but we're nearly 18 months into him joining the club and it would be pretty bold to say he's been a successful signing on the back of a handful of games. Same with Lundstram etc. Too early to say whether they are a success or not however others may well have made their mind up on them already.

3 minutes ago, .Williamson. said:

Could have but I don’t see it as a risk as such. I’ve counted him in my list but it’s not a player I credit Gerrard and his team with finding themselves 

Not suggested it is players they have found themselves but players they have brought to the club.

2 minutes ago, psb07158 said:

Hits

Balogun, Roofe, McLaughlin, Helander, Hagi, Aribo, Kent, Davis, Defoe, Kamara, Barisic, Goldson, Katic, McGregor, Arfield

Miss

Simpson, Zungu, King, Kamberi, Ojo, Barker, Stewart, Edmundson, Jones, Hastie, Worrall, Coulibaly, Sadiq, Ejaria, Firth, Polster, Grezda, McAuley, Flanagan, Lafferty, Murphy

Unknown / TBC with more game time

Ofoborh, Sakala, Bacuna, Lundstram, Wright, Bassey

Excluding the unknown/tbc category, I've got 15 hits out of 36 players (42%). Need all 6 of the unknown/tbcs to become hits for the ratio to be 50%.

I think 12-16 hits seems to be where everyone is landing.

It’s hard to know if it’s been successful or not overall tbh.

He stopped ten which was the only aim when he joined and that’s what he will mostly be remembered for. It is interesting to see the amount of signing failures though.

The thing I hate thinking about regarding his managerial stint with us without a doubt has been his god awful cup record.