Gerrard's signings - Hit or Miss?  

96 members have voted

1. 1. Gerrard's signings - Hit or Miss?

• Hit
    • Miss
    • Somewhere in between

Just now, The Dude said:

That's my gimmick :matron:

You are in the rookie leagues on the superiority complex mate!

Seriously though, I tend to get wound up with threads like this as it tends to come across, regardless of the intentions as a round about 'Is Gerrard the right manager for the job' kinda debate.

It is too focussed on the negative aspects of one particular piece of a jigsaw puzzle at a time when people are feeling a bit raw about our current form.

Sure our form currently is pretty ropey, and yes, some signings might not be setting the heather alight right now or even in the past. But this is short sighted. They were signed to do a particular job and that was to make the club close the gap on celtic. Each year under Gerrard we did close that gap and even when we did not win the league, we got closer, until last year when we surpassed them.

I think it is more important to look at the squad assembled as a whole rather than looking at the players on an isolated basis. Each year they have improved and got closer, which was the goal. So the assembled squads were successful at what they were meant to do. to me this makes his signings a success. they achieved what they were mean to do. Sure they could have done better in the cups, but fuck it, ill overlook that for them getting the league title last year.

In my opinion, we have by far the best squad in the country, assembled by Gerrard, which is currently performing below par. I have confidence he will fix this and we will create a gap.

4 hours ago, psb07158 said:

Flanagan is a miss because he should never have been signed due to his off-field bullshit, so that's a personal one. 

McAuley is a miss because he barely kicked a ball for us and when he did, he looked every bit the washed up footballer he was IMO. 

For all Worrall absolutely fucked it and shat the bed at Rugby Park, McAuley’s defending for the second was nothing short of embarrassing and even worse.

4 hours ago, graeme_4 said:

I think off the miss list there’s folk that have come in, done a job at the level we were at then, and the been replaced with someone better.

I don’t think of the likes of Flanagan or McAuley as misses. They were just short term stop gaps while we focused on other areas. They moved on with no ill will and we moved upwards. 

Grezda, Laffery, Barker, Jones, Itten are the real misses. Decent wages and sometimes a few, with the square root of heehaw in return. 

They’re misses because they were fucking rank rotten.

Generally we've been shopping in the football equivalent of Primark. You're always up against it signing players who instantly lift the standards when that's the case.

Grezda the biggest failure for a 'big' money signing, and Itten at the price he cost versus Nisbet at about a tenth of it was probably the other big mistake though at the time on paper Itten looked the better player.

Vast majority of the free transfers have been shit bar the odd success like Davis, McGregor etc.

In the main though where a decent amount of money has been spent the signings have been about as good as we could ever have hoped to get - Goldson, Helander, Barisic, Roofe, Kent, Hagi all great signings at our level. I think you'd struggle to get a better six than those for the money spent. Kamara goes without saying too.

Not buying the budget thing either. 

Gerrard has been backed with more than £30m and the club has kept every player he’s wanted to keep at the time as well instead of cashing in when their stock is high. 

The where we were pish is a nonsense as well. We’re 4 years into Gerrard’s reign and 5 into the current board, half a decade. 

1 hour ago, Madina said:

On the whole they've been misses. Sadiq, Grezda, Simpson, Barker, Hastie etc are amongst the worst signings in recent years, and I include the lower league signings in that

If you are going to include the lower leauges, then these boys are bloody superstars.

3 hours ago, The Dude said:

Only if you actually win things and realise the value of that squad. If they all walk away for buttons (or as is likely in Goldson's case literally fuck all) and you win one trophy out of 12 or 15, is it really a success?

Also, it's still not a shoe-string budget when it is several times greater than 99% of your opposition.

That reads like something straight of a celtic forum.

31 minutes ago, Prso's headband said:

Not buying the budget thing either. 

Gerrard has been backed with more than £30m and the club has kept every player he’s wanted to keep at the time as well instead of cashing in when their stock is high. 

The where we were pish is a nonsense as well. We’re 4 years into Gerrard’s reign and 5 into the current board, half a decade. 

Bar one or two, the signings everyone is unhappy about were frees.

Overwhelming majority where money has been spent have been big hits.

11 hours ago, Zander1 said:

It's very easy to look at that list, see that the majority have been failures, and conclude that Gerrard has been poor in the transfer market...but that's not the whole story.  Many of those guys were frees and/or brought in as squad players.

When you look at our best 11, or even best current squad as a whole, the majority are Gerrard signings that have been good/great for us.  And he's done that without spending a fortune.  That's good enough for me.

Not spending a fortune is a little of glossing over the truth, he's spent a bloody fortune both on fees and wages, 11mill on defenders, 15mill minimum on the frontline, and thats just guys that are still here, 

But the wages will be the big thing, we run at a massive loss without european money, run at a big loss without CL money, thats dangerous

9 hours ago, Creampuff said:

Don’t think the ratio of hits to misses is that bad once you factor out some of Mark Allan’s dodgy dealings and the fact that a lot of the misses were brought in to be squad players etc and ultimately were fine in that role.

Exactly, guys like Flanagan, Stewart etc. all came in to round out the squad and although weren't amazing did do a job at times.

13 hours ago, Creampuff said:

Don’t think the ratio of hits to misses is that bad once you factor out some of Mark Allan’s dodgy dealings and the fact that a lot of the misses were brought in to be squad players etc and ultimately were fine in that role.

Is this the same mark allan that signed guys like goldson, katic, barisic, Kent, mcgregor, davis, arfield, defoe, kamara, helander

Looking at our squad the now, Wilsons signings are garbage compared to allan's, infact Wilsons only real successes balogun, roofe and hagi

13 hours ago, Laudrupsleftfoot said:

Bar one or two, the signings everyone is unhappy about were frees.

Overwhelming majority where money has been spent have been big hits.

For me the annoying thing about the frees etc were the wages wasted for players that offered little, would love to have seen a youngster or two given the squad place so they could gain experience etc, 

I refuse to believe that from the colts down to the u14's that there isnt a centre half better than simpson lol

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

For me the annoying thing about the frees etc were the wages wasted for players that offered little, would love to have seen a youngster or two given the squad place so they could gain experience etc, 

I refuse to believe that from the colts down to the u14's that there isnt a centre half better than simpson lol

Yeah I agree with you there.

I suppose we just wanted bodies in to bulk up the squad but realistically the vast majority of those frees sat on what would have been big wages for them for too long offering too little.

1 hour ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

We've never been the best promoting youngsters into our first team. 

Patterson is obviously doing well but feels like it's maybe the odd 1 or 2 that come up. We either give them a brief runout or we just keep loaning them out until contracts come up. 

Definitely got to be a youth player better than simpson lol.

2 hours ago, BlueKnight87 said:

We've never been the best promoting youngsters into our first team. 

Patterson is obviously doing well but feels like it's maybe the odd 1 or 2 that come up. We either give them a brief runout or we just keep loaning them out until contracts come up. 

Definitely got to be a youth player better than simpson lol.

Its different between throwing youngsters into the first team for 30 odd games, we've never really done that ever bar fergie, hutton, burke maybe? 

But greg stewart got a fortune in wages for us, and offered very little, what he did offer wasnt exactly game changing and could gave offered a youngster valuable game time

Kelly this season must have been caught with gerrards missus or something 

3 minutes ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Its different between throwing youngsters into the first team for 30 odd games, we've never really done that ever bar fergie, hutton, burke maybe? 

But greg stewart got a fortune in wages for us, and offered very little, what he did offer wasnt exactly game changing and could gave offered a youngster valuable game time

Kelly this season must have been caught with gerrards missus or something 

Shite players who were brought in from piss poor clubs to be squad players for us purely because they have “first team experience” have made a fortune from us over the years. 

It’s something we really need to try and move away from with more focus being put on utilising players from the U23’s. Even if it’s just to be part of match day squads and they don’t make it long term at least it’ll be a more cost effective way of padding out the squad.

3 hours ago, DBBTB said:

Shite players who were brought in from piss poor clubs to be squad players for us purely because they have “first team experience” have made a fortune from us over the years. 

It’s something we really need to try and move away from with more focus being put on utilising players from the U23’s. Even if it’s just to be part of match day squads and they don’t make it long term at least it’ll be a more cost effective way of padding out the squad.

Hmmmm im not liking this at all, not at all

12 hours ago, Jimbeamjunior said:

Not spending a fortune is a little of glossing over the truth, he's spent a bloody fortune both on fees and wages, 11mill on defenders, 15mill minimum on the frontline, and thats just guys that are still here, 

But the wages will be the big thing, we run at a massive loss without european money, run at a big loss without CL money, thats dangerous

Agree to disagree on that point. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, but allowing for the £26million you've quoted + any other cost for transfer fees, would £30m be a reasonable estimate of his spend? Over 3 years that's really not a huge amount in the modern game.  Given where we were when he took over, it's difficult to envisage us having won the league spending less over those three years.