How Much Is Gerrard Worth?

BlueSuedeSambas

10 minutes ago, esquire8 said:

I think Gerrards backroom staff are much better than Rodgers.

I think Gerrard has done more than Rodgers done at his stage in his career.

He has the potential to be a far better manager than Rodgers.

I'm not saying almost twice as much if Beale isn't included.

They weren't taking Rodgers at that stage of his career though?

45 minutes ago, EMRFC said:

If he did go, would Frank Lampard be a realistic replacement? Championship Play off final in his first season and then top 4 finish in his first PL season with 0 signings allowed.

I think I’d rather keep Gerrard tho unless Newcastle offer us 30m or something lol

It's not a bad shout tbh. He played a similar 4-3-3 at Chelsea. No compensation required and may see us as a chance to build his reputation up.

I'd rather keep Gerrard but as well lol.

2 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If he's complied with his contract and terminated it in the manner set out, we won't have any choice.

Why would any club ever pay compensation then? 

You have non-compete clauses, financial penalties and all the rest. He doesn’t just say ‘right boss am away to Newcastle’ and walk out the door with no consequences. 

1 minute ago, The Dude said:

Its very, very different to a player though. Gerrard could easily just resign and we get fuck all. 

Not exactly, just resigning would be breaking a fixed term contract. I think he could potentially pay this up though.

I would guess he is on about 20k a week with 2.5 years left on his contract. That would be about 2.6m I think.

Im not 100% sure if this is how things work now though, as like has been mentioned above, managers are starting to leave for higher amounts. I think Rogers left for more than his remaining contractual salary. Also the guy mentioned above at 20m sounds like it was more than the remainder of his fixed term contract. Not sure why this is, if managers have had clauses put into contracts on non-compete basis or something.

I really don't think he will leave us right in the middle of a season but also I don't see him being here next season either. If its not Newcastle this time it will be another Prem team next season.

But yes if it does come out that Newcastle are going to go full bore after him, then we need to get as much out of them as possible.

Just now, graeme_4 said:

Why would any club ever pay compensation then? 

You have non-compete clauses, financial penalties and all the rest. He doesn’t just say ‘right boss am away to Newcastle’ and walk out the door with no consequences. 

Avoid potential legal issues and suggestions of tapping up or in some cases to comply with their domestic associations rules. 

Certain leagues (Spain and Germany among them iirc) have rules which forbid managers taken a new job domestically within a set timescale if they resigned from their previous club. 

5 minutes ago, The Dude said:

If he's complied with his contract and terminated it in the manner set out, we won't have any choice.

He has not completed his contract though. He is not on a perm contract, he is effectively a contractor who has an end date stipulated.

He would be in breach of contract if he just up and left.

Clubs would usually agree a compensation deal to allow the move to happen. Im not sure why it would ever be above the value of the outstanding contract though. That is the only bit I am unsure about.

2 minutes ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

Not exactly, just resigning would be breaking a fixed term contract. I think he could potentially pay this up though.

I would guess he is on about 20k a week with 2.5 years left on his contract. That would be about 2.6m I think.

Im not 100% sure if this is how things work now though, as like has been mentioned above, managers are starting to leave for higher amounts. I think Rogers left for more than his remaining contractual salary. Also the guy mentioned above at 20m sounds like it was more than the remainder of his fixed term contract. Not sure why this is, if managers have had clauses put into contracts on non-compete basis or something.

Managers resigning from their contracts in football isn't anything rare and most have clauses in their contract which will allow them to terminate it without having to buy it out. Some managers have buyouts in their deal or have rolling periods by which they can serve notice to terminate without penalty (often around March). 

Just now, Flatcap said:

Many believe that Beale runs the show anyhow.....and he's stated he wants to manage ultimately. It could be a good outcome if SG goes and MB takes the reigns.

Beale absolutely doesn't run the show

1 minute ago, mitre_mouldmaster said:

He has not completed his contract though. He is not on a perm contract, he is effectively a contractor who has an end date stipulated.

He would be in breach of contract if he just up and left.

Clubs would usually agree a compensation deal to allow the move to happen. Im not sure why it would ever be above the value of the outstanding contract though. That is the only bit I am unsure about.

Managers regularly resign from their post without needing to buy out their contract. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Managers regularly resign from their post without needing to buy out their contract. 

I’d be absolutely astonished if our contracts with Gerrard and his backroom staff members allow them to just say ‘thanks, I’m off’ with no financial consequences. I think you’re wrong. 

Just now, graeme_4 said:

I’d be absolutely astonished if our contracts with Gerrard and his backroom staff members allow them to just say ‘thanks, I’m off’ no financial consequences.

It would be just like every other Rangers manager (bar one) who has resigned from their contract. 

4 minutes ago, The Dude said:

Almost always when they are doing shite and the club are willing to let them go to get someone new in.

In these scenarios, the club will happily accept their resignation and release the manager from their contract on a mutual consent basis.

it would be much more of a rare occurrence for a manager on a high salary just to up and leave a club to move to a bigger club on an even higher salary with no compensation paid to the original club. 

I’m sure it depends on what a managers contract is worth. Usually the buying club would pay out his contract.

So if Gerrard has 2 or 3 years to run and is on about £1.5m then we’d get between £3-4.5m depending on how long he has left.

Thats my take on it anyway