*****The Official St. Mirren vs Champions Match Thread*****

7 hours ago, Madina said:

It started so well for Sakala, he scored v Real iirc. Downhill all the way since then. Sad to say I dont think him or Bacuna are going to cut it here

Not giving up on Sakala yet but the signs aren’t promising. 
Bacuna is going to be another waste of a wage. Looks like he thinks he’s way better than he actually is. Pointless signing 

9 minutes ago, dummiesoot said:

Took Mark Hately a year to settle at Rangers, an established player of international stature and people write off players after a few games nowadays 

Had a big injury he was recovering from to be fair, and think how long you’re going back to find a striker that took ages to settle before coming good. 

Three points clear and four ahead of the team who will ultimately finish second. We’ve not kicked a ball yet while they’re on fire apparently.

And that’s with a key player in each department of our team missing at the moment, each of whom will improve us on return.

I’d have signed up for that when the season started to be honest but we’re a long, long way from our best.

4 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

It’s a nonsense.

Can’t tell if it’s mostly young guys who don’t remember the slogs under Walter or the games lost under Advocaat (despite 10s of £millions thrown at it), or it’s old guys who look back with nostalgia. 

We’ve never ever just steamrolled every team 4 or 5 nil away consistently. Points are always dropped and results need ground out. 

It's a pain in the fucking dick mate.

I remember the 1 0 wins away to Falkirk with Kris Boyd scoring with minutes to go etc.

The 4 1 scudding St Johnstone gave us up at Perth.

I don't know what it is but it's fucking infuriating.

(I think we were poor yesterday btw)

37 minutes ago, graeme_4 said:

Don’t think he did. Came in under Pedro as a project, but quickly became first pick because Herrera was dire. Got 14 goals in 35 in his first season. 

True mate but people were still unsure of him. I don't think Sakala and Bacuna have really had enough of a run to judge them properly.

35 minutes ago, Bluekev said:

True mate but people were still unsure of him. I don't think Sakala and Bacuna have really had enough of a run to judge them properly.

I’ve seen enough of Bacuna already to see why we signed him, a bit Hagi like with his vision. Like Hagi will need to work him into our system, and get him doing this for the team rather than himself. 

Sakala honestly just looked rotten. Fast, but zero touch, doesn’t finish, just looks in a mad panic at every opportunity. Not of the standard we needed IMO. 

7 minutes ago, Moody Blue Legend said:

Watched the highlights there.  Much better than I remember.  They offered nothing other than a worldy and we had a few chances to make it easier than it was.

That’s the way I saw it, would be lovely to go and kill the game off and be on easy street but it’s rarely like that away from home. 3 points and away home and I’d take exactly the same next Sunday. 

5 hours ago, Creampuff said:

This “we should be beating them 4 or 5 nil” is the new wanting our midfielders to get 10 goals and 10 assists. It just doesn’t really happen very often.

I’ve gone back to 2007 and our best ever result at St Mirren Park/Love Street in that time was 3-0. 

Honestly, some on here are convinced we never had these relatively unimpressive wins under Walter et al. Complete revisionist history.

Sorry, but that’s shite. We have a far bigger budget and better players so we should be skelping these teams. We are not playing well for some reason. We should be putting them to the sword. A one goal lead in games is ridiculous. 

4 minutes ago, Hadron Collider said:

Sorry, but that’s shite. We have a far bigger budget and better players so we should be skelping these teams. We are not playing well for some reason. We should be putting them to the sword. A one goal lead in games is ridiculous. 

So we should be scoring about 150 goals in a league season, every season. 

33 minutes ago, Rangers_no1 said:

We've played St Mirren away 18 times in the last 15 years. ONLY on 5 occasions have we won by 2 or more goals. 

It's a venue that's not easy to win by 3+ goals at and it's certainly one of those venues/matches where getting the 3 points is what matters.

They always make it difficult for us.  I remember they beat us on Christmas Eve about 2010 or 2011. 

Worst hangover I’ve ever had in my life that day and the result ruined Christmas :lol:

4 hours ago, RFC55 said:

It's a pain in the fucking dick mate.

I remember the 1 0 wins away to Falkirk with Kris Boyd scoring with minutes to go etc.

The 4 1 scudding St Johnstone gave us up at Perth.

I don't know what it is but it's fucking infuriating.

(I think we were poor yesterday btw)

Been so many times over the years where we’ve dropped daft points and you’ve thought that was it only for it to swing back in our favour.

It’s fucking torture at the time, but it almost adds to the joy when you do win the league or the trophy.

Nothing we have seen over the past decade has been the norm. What we are seeing this season is as close to normal a season as we have seen since about 2011.

13 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

Been so many times over the years where we’ve dropped daft points and you’ve thought that was it only for it to swing back in our favour.

It’s fucking torture at the time, but it almost adds to the joy when you do win the league or the trophy.

Nothing we have seen over the past decade has been the norm. What we are seeing this season is as close to normal a season as we have seen since about 2011.

I remember people complaining like fuck about Walter and the 'dire' football that his teams played and that they wanted to be entertained 😅

What's happening now is nothing new.