RIP Sir Walter

ForeverAndEver

4 minutes ago, broxibluenose said:

I normally just sit back and let the more outspoken guys on the forum do all the hard work and digest all of their points of view whether I agree with them or not. This is the fifth anniversary of my own dads passing and poignant though it always is, I feel and share the pain tonight from all of you guys mourning the passing of a Rangers giant in Walter. The guy oozed class and dignity and brought dad and my brothers so many happy memories during both of his tenures in charge at Ibrox. It is incredibly hard to let someone that you love leave this life but more important to treasure the memories that they leave behind. Walter has set the standards for everyone at Rangers to adhere and aspire to and can rest now that his battle is over. Dad was Rangers daft and it is very ironic and fitting that he now shares the same date of his passing with such a Rangers giant. Very best wishes to the Smith family and hopefully they can take comfort from the incredible reaction from the football world and beyond in recognising Walters achievements. Try and listen to David Edgar’s podcast as it is both heartfelt and poignant and dignified. The Rangers family has lost their father today as well as my family did on this day five years ago . Take care guys .

Edgar summed it up beautifully - Our heart is broken today.

33 pages of touching words that show how much this great man meant not only to us and our club but to the wider football community, and It's still no where near enough.

Don't think we'll ever be able to put into words how grateful we all are for this man. My deepest condolences to his family as well.

Finally, thank you for everything and rest easy gaffer.

5 minutes ago, theblueoysterbar said:

They'll surely get round to it mate. To play devil's advocate I don't think anyone expected Walter to pass.

They're still total bastards though.

I hear what you say....but cast your mind back to Scot personalities who pass.      It is always rearranged programmes that night.     2, 3 4 days after doesn't do it it.......

Apologies if anyone thinks Im pushing this too far.

1 minute ago, Willis said:

Listening to David Edgars tribute which is the best I've heard so far, Edgar has a great way with words, his anecdote about his mate seeing Souness, Gerrard, and Sir Walter on RTV and saying "there's Souness and Gerrard with the Rangers manager" gave me a wee chuckle then a lump in my throat

I was born in 89 so from my earliest memories as a bear Walter was the manager, and he always had that feel of authority, even now as an adult ever time id see him on telly or hear him on the radio he's the person you'd tell everyone to shoosh for because you wanted to hear what Walter had to say, cause you just trusted him. I remember as a wee boy just assuming Walter had always been the Rangers manager 😅

One of my favourite memories is his very first game after his return vs Dundee Hibs, was there with my dad and when the fourth goal went in my dad turned with grin and said "that'll do us" then showed me his coupon with 20 quid on us to win 4-0, and him cheering just as loud as everyone else when the 5th went in and fucked his coupon.

Edgar's tribute has been the best I've heard all day. 

As you said, he has a fantastic way with words, when he starts talking about Walter asking about his Dad gets me every time and always will.

We apply the word legend too freely these days, but when a real legend comes along, you just know it. He always found a way to win. Against the odds, down to 10 men or even 9, he would find a way to win. When young managers asked him for advice,he would give it..just find a way to win.

I'm heartbroken that he couldnt find a way, just one more time.