RIP Sir Walter

ForeverAndEver

Just now, Sunglasses Ron said:

Just heard the news, absolutely awful. I thought he looked well at the recent golf outing but obviously he must have in fact been poorly. A true legend of the club, consummate professional and gentleman.  Never forgotten Walter thank you for the great memories. RIP

This is why, I think, it felt like such a gut punch. When I saw the club tweet I thought it was a joke for a second. But it course they wouldn't make that joke. 

It is hard to be universally loved by all in the world of sport but this man truly was. He was a leader of men and for every single player that ever ran out on to the pitch for you, and holds you in the highest esteem, you know you did something right.

I am very sad as this man was the man at the helm when I first started following Rangers and I fell in love with the team not just because of the history and the passion of the fans, but also because of this man and how he led his team and how genuine he was.

This hurts me just as much as when  Coach Dean Smith(Of the Tar Heels basketball team) passed away.

2 minutes ago, JamieD said:

I saw the video, let it autoplay without the sound and was like "Ok, let's do this", then turned the sound on and was in tears within fucking seconds.

I’m in work so went into the canteen when it was empty there to watch it and as I said got about 10 seconds in and decided it best to leave that until I’m home 

Absolutely gutted to hear this news. Walter was the first manager that I really remember us having, and of course who can forget the glory days he led us to during his two managerial spells! I was lucky enough to meet him on a few occasions and he always had time for the fans. My Dad loved Walter as a manager, so sorry that they're both gone now 😥

7 minutes ago, DBBTB said:

The next few days are going to be hard. So very hard. The initial shock of this news has been utterly devasting but it’s only going to hit home even more when we start seeing football people like Graeme Souness, Archie Knox, Richard Gough, Ian Durrant, Sir Alex Ferguson & Ally McCoist speak publicly and share their memories of a man who they were all very close to.

There is going to be a lot of media attention around our club and although this seems like such a minor and insignificant point to make in the grand scheme of things, I’m so glad that we have Steven Gerrard at the club as the manager right now and not some hack like Mark Warburton or Pedro Caixinha.

We are a club and a support that is grieving and knowing that our current manager, and the man who is very much going to be the public facing face of our grief, is a man who is very much cut from the same cloth as Smith - steadfast, passionate, dignified - actually provides me with a degree of comfort during the worst possible time.

Don't think I'll be able to watch Ally talking about him.

3 minutes ago, SkylineBlue said:

That video is a tough, tough watch.

It's absolutely brutal. It's amazing to see just how much success he brought to us all, laid out like that though. A man who knew what would make the fans happy, and just delivered it, over and over again. Watching back what he did in his second spell, has any manager ever done that a club before or since? To come back and just have a second golden age all over again?