RIP Sir Walter

ForeverAndEver

23 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

Watching back that day at killie.

Wow man 

Will give that a watch maybe tomorrow. Watched the official club obituary. Was in tears. The man made some of the best days of my life. Gone but never to be forgotten. What I am getting from all the tributes is yes Rangers was his passion but aside from that what a decent guy and family man he was.👍

1 minute ago, KaiserJon said:

Will give that a watch maybe tomorrow. Watched the official club obituary. Was in tears. The man made some of the best days of my life. Gone but never to be forgotten. What I am getting from all the tributes is yes Rangers was his passion but aside from that what a decent guy and family man he was.👍

Anyone post the STV one?

Walter Smith obituary

Shrewd football manager who helped to revive Rangers and was one of the few to get the best out of Paul Gascoigne

October 26 2021, The Times

Walter Smith was 29 when his manager at Dundee United, Jim McLean, delivered a pithy assessment of his playing abilities: “Let’s face it, Walter, you’re shite.” McLean added more constructively: “I think you’ve got a real talent as a coach, so would you be my assistant?”

Under the tyrannical but innovative McLean, Smith would help to forge Dundee United into an improbable force, winning the Scottish Premier Division in 1983. Smith would go on to guide Rangers to one of the most successful periods in their history, winning seven successive titles up to 1997 and nearly reaching the Champions League final in 1992-93.

In doing so, he unwittingly committed a cardinal sin for a Scot of doing a great favour for the England football team. In 1995 he signed Paul Gascoigne (“Gazza”), the most talented British player of his generation but a troubled prankster with a weakness for alcohol and a body already ravaged by injuries. Smith became the father figure Gazza needed as for three years the player conducted Rangers’ midfield with consistent performances and glimpses of genius. The revived Gazza would go on to play a leading role in England’s excellent showing at Euro 96, and notably destroyed Scotland’s defence with a celebrated goal in their 2-0 victory against the Auld Enemy at Wembley in the group stages.

The strong, quiet type, more in the mould of Sir Matt Busby than the more quotable Scottish managers such as Bill Shankly, Smith was tough and intimidating when he needed to be, though both he and Busby were charismatic in their own way. Sometimes the “Walter Stare” was all that was needed to prevent an impertinent journalist from asking an “inane” question. When the pundit Chick Young ignored the stare and questioned the performance of two of his players in a TV interview, Smith used the F-word 15 times. Luckily the interview was not live.

Walter Smith was born into a working-class family in Glasgow in 1948. His father was a crane operator, while his mother was a homemaker who also played the piano in their local church.

He was steeped in Rangers as a child. His grandfather took him to his first Rangers game when he was five. Smith safely descended the doomed Stairway 13 as a supporter on the day of the Ibrox disaster when 66 people died in a crush at the stadium in January 1971.

He studied at Coatbridge Technical College while playing football with Chapelhall Youth Club in Lanarkshire. He was an apprentice electrician when Dundee United signed him in 1966. He worked by day with Loudon Brothers, the machine toolmakers, in Glasgow, and did his football training at night. During this time he married Ethel, who survives him, along with their sons: Neil works in the media department of Rangers FC and Steven is a businessman.

Smith spent 12 years in two spells as a player at United. As a senior player he was one of the few who could debate tactics with McLean without getting a clip round the ear. As McLean’s assistant in the early Eighties, he became well acquainted with Alex Ferguson, who was leading his own revolution at Aberdeen. The two clubs, the “New Firm”, shifted the powerbase in Scottish football if only for a few years and formed an intense rivalry as Smith and Ferguson traded expletives from their dugouts.

Smith was recognised as a football thinker by the Scottish Football Association and was named as Ferguson’s assistant with Scotland at the 1986 World Cup finals in Mexico. That year Rangers appointed Graeme Souness as manager to revive the club’s ailing fortunes. Souness was celebrated for his achievements as a player with Liverpool but had no experience as a manager nor of Scottish football. Smith became his number two. Over the next decade the club would become arguably the biggest in Britain.

As Souness proceeded to sign top players from English clubs for big fees, Smith’s knowledge and contacts within the Scottish game proved invaluable. The former Rangers striker and now TalkSport pundit Ally McCoist said Smith was Souness’s “best signing”.

Success was instant and led to Souness being appointed Liverpool manager in 1991. He begged his assistant to go with him but Smith could not turn down the chance to take the job he had always longed for as Rangers manager.

The club’s domination under Smith would be total, aided by an investment of £50 million in players during his six and a half years in charge, more than any other club in Britain. Indeed, Smith took Rangers’ ambition up a notch, signing the Dane Brian Laudrup, one of the world’s best players, in 1994.

He had also heard rumours that Gazza was unhappy at Lazio and wanted to return home. In the summer of 1995 Smith turned up at Gazza’s countryside retreat outside Rome. It was a hazardous mission. He had to endure a queasy ride on the back of Gazza’s quad bike and an evening with the player’s chief cohort, Jimmy “Five Bellies” Gardner, but Smith got his man for £4.3 million. Many questioned the wisdom of the signing. Gazza’s lifestyle continued to cause problems but Smith shrewdly got the best out of him. “There were obviously wee foibles, but I knew that when I signed him. He was never actually a great problem for me. He loved playing football. That was what drove him on,” recalled Smith, whose man management of Gascoigne demonstrated an understanding of human nature in the great tradition of managers from the west of Scotland, such as Ferguson, Busby and Jock Stein.

A likeable and modest man, Smith would go on to spend four years as manager of Everton from 1998. Despite never receiving the transfer funds promised, he stabilised the club, which had been in danger of relegation.

He would manage Scotland from 2004, restoring the reputation of the national team. During his three years in charge, Scotland rose 70 places in the Fifa rankings. Smith returned as Rangers manager in 2007 to mop up the mess after the ill-fated reign of Paul Le Guen. In 2008 he led Rangers to the Uefa Cup final (now the Europa League), where they lost 2-0 to Zenit St Petersburg. He would win a further eight trophies there.

In one later interview he regretted the fact that his grandchildren had seen the famous Chick Young interview after the footage went viral on YouTube. He had deftly dealt with many thorny issues in his decades a manager, but for once was lost for words when asked: “Grandpa, why are you swearing at that man on TV?”

Walter Smith, football manager, OBE, was born on February 24 1948. He died of cancer on October 26, 2021, aged 73

Obviously knew he had been very ill but hoped he had turned the corner, the news came as a shock. I’ve been more upset at this than losing members of my family. 

He was so much more than the Rangers manager, he was a man loved and respected by so many, that’s clear with the tributes being paid today. 

RIP Sir Walter.

2 minutes ago, JamieD said:

I've had a few drinks now and just want to say thanks to everyone on here for their reminiscences and kind words for Walter today. It made an awful day a little more bearable than it might have been. You're all a good lot and I'm proud to be a part of this support.

Jamie what age are you mate? If you don't mind me asking 

absolutely devastated . Just can’t get Walter out my thoughts at all . After the news came through I went and visited my da , we spoke solely about Walter for nearly an hour . My da is 61 I’m 30 , as we both chatted we spoke about the old days , my old man telling me all his memories as a Rangers man , taking me to my first game , him and his brothers going to the Leeds game , the celebrations he and his mates had after clinching 9 in a row . Then us having a laugh about how my da paid over the odds to get me a uefa cup final ticket as I was skint , me telling him about the killie last day league win the atmosphere in the stadium how it was just all Rangers fans ,the Scottish cup win with 9 men just both sharing stories about our favourite memories as Rangers fans . Walter smith gave us they memories . I’m tearing up writing this . Thank you Walter you gave generations so much joy and happiness.