RIP Sir Walter

ForeverAndEver

Was gutted yesterday upon the news. Some of the best days of my life was going to games when we were under Walters guidance. 

Met him a couple of times at a hotel I used to work in when I was younger and he was always happy to speak even though we were told not to. Got my uefa cup final programme signed off him at his nephews wedding and at the end if the night he was up on the stage singing and I'm pretty sure doing a wee bouncy. 

Class man and we've lost a Rangers icon. Seen a clip earlier if him and Jardine when we won the league and its sad they two guardians of the club are gone. RIP sir Walter. 

Like everyone else, I've spent the last 36hrs or so going in and out of many emotions. 

'87 was my first proper memory of being a Ranger, my first full kit, my first game with Walter playing such an huge part in my footballing youth with wonderful memories.

I really hope we can give the great man a result tonight and sing his name loud and proud.

RIP Sir Walter.

2 hours ago, BridgeIsBlue said:

Work was a struggle last night just replaying all the memories over in my head from his 2nd spell, was only 6 years old when we clinched 9IAR so it wasn't my time but I'd grown up listening to stories about that side from my dad, watched all the videos etc so when it was announced that he was returning to Rangers it was like this colossus of a man was coming back to really sort the club out considering the bad spell we were going through at that time. 

Been said many times in this thread already but 07-11 was a really special period in our clubs history imo, for that man to walk through those doors again and achieve what he did considering the strains that were on the club at the time was nothing short of unbelievable, the one game that really summed it all up was the cup final v St Mirren,to drag us through kicking and screaming with 9 men to win it was incredible. 

He'll always be the Rangers manager for me and has earned a special place in our clubs long and illustrious history, thanks for the memories Walter 💙

SMITH2.thumb.png.ac9927ffe014c32d28e937c23e6f35b4.png

Similar story here. Was too young to remember his first time with us. Must’ve been 6 too when we got 9IAR. My dad sat me down to watch all our games as a kid but I couldn’t appreciate it. The Rangers I fell in love was under advocaat. My dad told me all about what happened under Walter and a lot of stuff from the late 60s to 80s. 

when Walter came back my dad was almost in tears. Like you say we were under strain so I imagine to have Walter back there would’ve been a sense of comfort and a feeling of excitement cause I mind my dad saying with Walter in charge he felt like we could take on the world. I don’t need to tell anyone here what he achieved but my dad was right. He couldn’t believe that he was getting to see Rangers in a European final again. He was only 9 when we won in Barcelona and he passed away only a few months after Manchester. I’m thankful to Walter for a lot of things but probably most of all for me personally it was getting us to that final and letting my dad see us play in it. 

Walter smith would have congratulated Aberdeen on getting something out of the game and admitted we weren’t good enough to get the victory tonight

this game wasn’t a tribute to Walter in any way, other than it was the first one after his death, I wouldn’t trust a single player who was on the park for us tonight to play in a match that was a tribute to that great man, these imposters aren’t worthy of getting to that standard based on this season, probably only Mcgregor in our full squad would start in a Walter team and even he’s not been up to his usual standards

After the high of last year in a miserable time for the whole world these players brought me some joy, it’s the only bit of credit they have left but that joy is over now, terry Munro is dead n buried and the anger is growing game by game, we were amazing last year but this year we are so bad it has you wondering if we just got really really fucking lucky

1 hour ago, born a blue nose said:

Drew 2-2 at home against one of the worst teams in the league

He would have been embarrassed after he had calmed down. 

Fuckin sick man 

He would have been embarrassed for the players at fault for the goals we lost tonight but he wouldn’t have personally been embarrassed 

every comment you hear about Walter will probably have the words honest, humble, a good human being and football man

ive seen him angry but I’ve never seen him or even heard of anybody ever mention him being bitter or embarrassed to suffer a defeat, it’s only football, this result had absolutely nothing to do with Walter and was never a tribute to him, us fans would have found some comfort in the team showing a bit of bottle like his teams had in abundance but yes they failed, but failed us not him 

the only thing I’d say about Walter and this team we have now is, he wouldn’t have put up with a good few of them based on their performances this year, if Walter was our manager we wouldn’t have a problem right now, that’s what he had a habit of doing, fixing us and making his team win

1 minute ago, Tomatasauce said:

He would have been embarrassed for the players at fault for the goals we lost tonight but he wouldn’t have personally been embarrassed 

every comment you hear about Walter will probably have the word honest, humble, a good human being and football man

ive seen him angry but I’ve never seen him or even heard of anybody ever mention him being bitter or embarrassed to suffer a defeat, it’s only football, this result had absolutely nothing to do with Walter and was never a tribute to him, us fans would have found some comfort in the team showing a bit of bottle like his teams had in abundance

the only thing I’d say about Walter and this team we have now is, he wouldn’t have put up with a good few of them based on their performances this year, if Walter was our manager we wouldn’t have a problem right now, that’s what he had a habit of doing, fixing us and making his team win

He would have been embarrassed at a defeat many times mate. He expected to win every game, he was the Rangers manager that's the mentality he embodied.