Walter Smith the Memories

scottyc06

26 minutes ago, Billythebear77 said:

All his titles and cup wins, he was robbed off a European trophy by cheating french(champions league)and the SFA refusing to extend the season to let go prepare for the uefa cup final 💙

THIS !

For me it has to be the 92/93 season, to not lose a game in the Champion League and yet still not make the final was my fist experience of utter heartbreak in football, but I'll never forget those nights at Ibrox.

Also when Walter came back to "Fix us", leaving the Scotland job must have been incredibly difficult, but his love for the club was just too strong. Also despite people having mixed opinions on the guy now, his trust and close bond with David Murray was pivotal in that happening. 

Smith and Murray delivered my greatest adventure as a Rangers fan, nothing can change that.

4 minutes ago, gmcf said:

Making him chuckle with a daft quip when he came for a look at Auchenhowie towards the end of it getting built . 

Nothing much , but it did make my day . 

One of my gaffers was saying today when they worked at stadium or training ground he'd never pass them without a wee chat 

15 minutes ago, RFC55 said:

He could've won the 2 biggest tournaments in European football. Imagine that with a Scottish club 

They put every obstacle in his way, cheating from abroad etc but the worst was from those who profess to be our own countrymen, they did it to basically stop his and our success through petty jealous hate of what we stand for. 

Was born during his last season so nothing from his first spell, but his whole second spell was unreal. First time I remember us dominating the league in terms of winning it, and seeing us in a European final, and with the way it is now probably the only time.

What a man.

For me the 1-0 win with the Ehiogu overhead kick was really underrated. We were miles behind them and Smith brought in Weir and Ehiogu and steadied the ship at the back. We were bloody awful and yet we went away to them and pulled off that 1-0 win.

That was what Walter gave us, a feeling that no matter what we’d find a way, his players would run through walls for him as we showed in the St Mirren final. It’s the quality of a true Rangers man or team that I admire the most, we just do not give up, we do not know when we are beaten and the 92/93 season was where, for me, I truly understood what it meant to just have an undying will to succeed.

I love this club and I love Walter Smith.

2 minutes ago, NeoGeo7 said:

For me the 1-0 win with the Ehiogu overhead kick was really underrated. We were miles behind them and Smith brought in Weir and Ehiogu and steadied the ship at the back. We were bloody awful and yet we went away to them and pulled off that 1-0 win.

That was what Walter gave us, a feeling that no matter what we’d find a way, his players would run through walls for him as we showed in the St Mirren final. It’s the quality of a true Rangers man or team that I admire the most, we just do not give up, we do not know when we are beaten and the 92/93 season was where, for me, I truly understood what it meant to just have an undying will to succeed.

I love this club and I love Walter Smith.

He just knew how to set up a team eh 

6 minutes ago, ForeverAndEver said:

Was born during his last season so nothing from his first spell, but his whole second spell was unreal. First time I remember us dominating the league in terms of winning it, and seeing us in a European final, and with the way it is now probably the only time.

What a man.

From age 11 to 18, so basically from being a wee kid to an adult, all I knew was us winning the league every year under him. And with him being such a class act. I feel quite lucky in a way.

Aw man wit a head fuck of a day this has been. Me and a couple of the boys all work for ourselves and as soon as we heard the news the tools were down and we went home.

Anyway, see apart from my mum passing away in May this year, this is right fucking after it.

Death/passing away comes to us all but fuck me it's never easy.

Rest in peace Sir Walter. 

4 minutes ago, LegendofCoop said:

If you can bring yourself to do it, his Twitter trend is awash with tributes.....and from some huge names in the game. 

https://twitter.com/search?q="Walter Smith"&src=trend_click&pt=1452923034810167302&vertical=trends 

Can't believe he wrote to the club all those years ago. He then became club manager. That must end up in the museum 

10 minutes ago, LaaRFC said:

The amount of times I’ve lipread him shouting “ya fucking beauty” in the numerous clips I’ve watched today is brilliant. 

Just watched the tribute from the club as was in no state to watch it earlier and that was the thing that made me smile most, with a clenched fist and arm raised, ya fucking beauty!

Walter Smith’s Blue and White Army 💙